100% P&T BUT IN PRIORITY GROUP 3???

Discussion in 'VA Benefits' started by nwlivewire, Sep 29, 2012.

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

28 SEP 2012

Just rec'd a letter from Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

It says they have confimed my enrollment into the VA Health Care System and have given me a Priority Group 3 status.

I am 100% P&T.

But when I read what all this priority group means, I think I should be in Priority Group 1 - not 3.

ENROLLMENT IN PRIORITY GROUP 1

* Veterans with VA service-connected disabilities rated 50% or more. (yes)
    * Veterans assigned a total disability rating for compensation based on unemployability. (no)

ENROLLMENT IN PRIORITY GROUP 3

* Veterans who are former POWs. (no)
    * Veterans awarded the Purple Heart. (no)
    * Veterans whose discharge was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty. (I am PDRL)
    * Veterans with VA service-connected disabilities rated 10% or 20%. (I have a few)
    * Veterans awarded special eligibility classification under Title 38, USC, Section 1151, "benefits for individuals disabled by treatment or vocational rehabilitation." (no)

It says I can appeal this decision and I need to file an appeal within a year from the date on this letter.

QUESTION: Am I in the correct Priority Group 3?
    Or should I be in Priority Group 1?

V/r,
    nwlivewire

2. pittpan2005

pittpan2005 PEB Forum Veteran

One. That was most likely a clerical error. I would go into the local VA and have it fixed; you can also "request" a same day appointment. I don't remember the regulation off the top of my head, but it's an unadvertised option available.

3. nwlivewire

Thanks pittpan2005.

I'm going to the VA on OCT 15th. Will take this letter with me and see what's up.

V/r,
    nwlivewire

4. joshgo

joshgo PEB Forum Veteran

They did the same thing to me. I think the office you go to is called the eligibility office. Just bring your award letter and stuff. It's a simple fix that they can do right there in the system. They should give you a new VA ID card too with service-connected printed at the bottom (if you didn't have one already).

5. nwlivewire

Thank-you joshgo!

I'll take my award letter down there on OCT 15th and be getting a VA ID card, too.

It will be my first time seeing a Doc at the VA, but I've heard good things about her already from other newly discharged Vets.

She's a "new hire" Doc and has not had much time in the VA system yet.

I'll be sure to see about that VA ID card, too!

V/r,
    nwlivewire

joshgo likes this.