A Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Outcomes: Fit, Severance, TDRL, PDRL' started by leading_lady26, Jun 8, 2012.

1. leading_lady26

leading_lady26 PEB Forum Veteran

My husband just received his P3 on Thursday (not signed yet)...and we are OCONUS. I know that we will be moved back to the States to finish out this process. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. Sorry if I'm pestering on the site, I just don't want us to get screwed on this. How do they determine PDRL vs. TDRL? And do you still get severance if you get a rating from the DoD? Here's a little background on my husband. His back injury (which has caused degenerative disk disease, along with 2 bulged disks) occurred on his first deployment in 2004. He deployed twice more after that (but has a P2 since 2005). On his last deployment (2009-2010), he developed sleep apnea (from living within feet of a burn pit). Both of his issues are combat related since they occurred downrange. So in what instance would he have to pay severance back if he got any? I'm sure he will be found unfit since he is an MP and can't even wear his duty belt for more than 10 mins since he is not allowed to bear any weight vertically. Thanks so much in advance, and I can't express how much reading through this page has helped already. Also, does anyone have any personal insight as to how long it would take from the time you received your P3 til you PCS'd back stateside??

2. grizz13

grizz13 PEB Forum Veteran

I can only answer that 0-20% from DoD is TDRL, 30% and higher is PDRL. Still trying to correctly get the severence part correct in my head before I say anything on that...

3. hawkdrivermtp

hawkdrivermtp PEB Forum Veteran

Anything less than 30% is severance pay, not TDRL. TDRL is similar to PDRL except that TDRL is temporary. The PEB determines TDRL based on the idea a condition may only be temporarily hindering continued service, so on a later date...not to exceed 5 years...TDRL can chance to severance pay, or can be changed to PDRL. So...in order to be retired in any way, shape, or form, you have to be rated at a minimum of 30% DoD. DoD will only rate a service member on their unfit condition(s).

4. pittpan2005

pittpan2005 PEB Forum Veteran

Wrong.......0-20% is severance. 30% and higher is either TDRL or PDRL. TDRL is used when you condition is likely to change or unstable and PDRL is when your condition is stable. There is more that goes into it, but this is a quick and very simple explanation. There are also other ways that an unstable condition can still cause placement on PDRL.

If combat related, severance wouldn't be paid back.
    If military rates him at 0% unfit, severance wouldn't be paid back.
    If military rates the condition and it's the cause for him to be found unfit, then the VA would recoup that portion of the money if the VA rates it and compensates for it. Example: military says 20% for back. VA rates him 20% for his back condition, but 100% total from VA. He would have to pay back the severance, but they would only withhold that 20% monthly compensation amount until it's recouped. He would receive the rest (80%) monthly from VA until severance paid back then receive full 100% monthly compensation.

The process is just starting so start building your best case. The goal is 30% or more from the military so he is retired.

5. hawkdrivermtp

Pretty much had the same answer for him as you did. One question though. Not sure if you know or someone else, but what happens if you were found unfit for two conditions? Each of the two unfit conditions are rated 10% each totaling 20% DoD. One of those 10% unfit conditions is combat related, the other condition is not. Does the VA recoup any of your severance in that situation? I ask, because that's my current situation. If you don't know, maybe someone else does.

6. pittpan2005

pittpan2005 PEB Forum Veteran

Good question Hawk. I believe it would be waived, but don't know for sure. Hopefully others can clarify.

7. TSgt Twitch

TSgt Twitch PEB Forum Veteran

hrrrm instinct tells me there is some fancy formula they would use to recoup a portion of the severance at the 10% rate.

8. hawkdrivermtp

Somehow I get the same feeling. It would be just my luck. I will post this the main forum so I don't end up totally hi-jacking it.

9. hawkdrivermtp

Sorry, I won't have to post this in the forum! Not seconds after I made that last statement, my PEBLO called me and told me she was ready for me to sign my 199! I asked her if I had to pay back my severance and she said no! That was very strange how that was timed! I thought I would be waiting a month for that 199 to be ready at minimum!

10. leading_lady26

I'm pretty sure he'll be considered PDRL then since his sleep apnea alone is 50% I think (he will be on a CPAP for life, according to his prescription for it. And that is just one issue). So I'm guessing we will not have to pay back severance then? The only thing I;m worried about is them not thinking the sleep apnea was not combat related. He never had this issue before his 3rd deployment and living so close to the burn pit...BUT was not diagnosed until a little over a year after he came back from downrange. We haven't gotten our P3 signed yet (and hopefully they don't take anymore time with next weeks 4 day coming up), but this process already as me growing grey hairs lol. I appreciate all of the help I received so far on this site. Most Soldiers you come across never want to deal with "just a wife". So thank you for helping.

11. hawkdrivermtp

If your husband's PEB ends in at least a 30% rating DoD, he will not get a severance check. Keep that in mind. You mentioned not paying it back.

12. grizz13

Sorry about my stupid answer earlier, was having brain problems yesterday. Wasn't thinking straight...

13. leading_lady26

Thanks a lot hawkdrivermtp! This is just all so much to take in. grizz13, not a problem. I've learned so much already, trust me I feel like a complete idiot having to ask these questions. But I don't trust the medical ppl to answer all the way honestly, so I come here lol

14. grizz13

No need to feel like an idiot, that is why we are all here! We all are learning from each other!