Asthma

Discussion in 'VA Benefits' started by Liviadus, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Liviadus

Liviadus PEB Forum Veteran

Good afternoon, I was rated at 10% for Asthma and 30%-50% for Sleep apnea the way the numbers work out it only counts as sleep apnea because it is the higher rated. I am trying to find out is seems I was rated for Asthma will the VA cover it as far as prescriptions?

2. usafaviator

usafaviator PEB Forum Veteran

If you are MEB'd and taking meds (inhaled corticosteroids/bronchiodialators) for the asthma, you should be rated at 30% or more (60% if you take oral steroids like Prednisone at least 3 times per year). Sleep apnea is 50% if you use a CPAP. Also, was the apnea rated at 30% or 50%...there are no ranges in ratings. Can you give more details....where are you in the MEB/PEB process?

3. Liviadus

My Meb is over I received a proposed rating for sleep apnea at 30%. But when I went in to do my c&p they ordered me a CPAP machine that I am using now. My MEB was for my back so they didn't include my asthma. but the VA rated it at 10% even though I have to use albuterol 2-3 times a day. I went and saw my doctor today and she gave me an Advair Diskus which did not work the last time I used it so if it doesn't work this time I will be going back to my PCM next week to get something stronger. Thanks for the help USAFAVIATOR

4. grizz13

grizz13 PEB Forum Veteran

Every claim that you have on the VA side no matter if they give 0% or 100% they are going to treat you for it no matter what!

5. usafaviator

I understand now. Both VA ratings are lower than they should be now, your asthma should be 30% and the OSA 50%. Is it possible to have them reevaluate and adjust your ratings. As for them not including your asthma, the MEB is supposed to consider everything that might be unfitting...asthma is in there. Sounds like you should be VA rated at 65% just for the OSA and asthma alone.

6. Liviadus

My proposed ratings say that Sleep Apnea and asthma are considered in the same category so they will only use the higher one for disability claims. Thank you I will try to get them re-rated unfortunately my current VA person on base isn't really helping. The only thing she has told me was that I do not belong on the EBENEFITS website. I still go on there anyways. The MEB rated me for my Back, sleep apnea, tinnitus, and allergy rhinitus. The only condition found unfitting was my back. For my proposed ratings from the VA they gave me 10% tinnitus and 30% sleep apnea with a sidenote saying it can be increased to 50% if a CPAP is being used and 10% for asthma with a sidenote saying that the higher rated of the 2 (between asthma and sleep apnea) is what is used for disability rating. another sidenote on it Asthma says it may increase to 30% with the use of corticoid steroids. Thanks for all the help usafaviator. Thank you as well grizz13

7. usafaviator

I would have to say that i would appeal and fight that if I were you. Asthma and OSA involve different systems. OSA involves either: 1) the blockage of the airway via the tounge or 2) (in the case of central OSA) disruption in the communication between your brain and your lungs.
    Asthma is lung disease. Unless the OSA can be proven to be a result of lung disease (extremely hard to diagnose), the two issues should be rated separately. I'm in the same boat as you and mine are being considered separately. Maybe the reason my are being considered is that I have a BIPAP and outpatient oxygen therapy for the OSA...my lung disease is obstructive and restrictive (constrictive bronchiolitis, asthma and COPD). I think you should get a higher percentage, and I hope everything washes out well for you.

8. grizz13

That VA rep is an idiot, we are told at the VA briefings and by the PEBLOs to regester for Ebenefits! Besides Ebenefits was created for us! How else are you going to get info?

Liviadus likes this.
  9. Liviadus

Thats what I was thinking too grizz. When she told me that I just laughed and changed the subject. The way I see it if it'll let me make an account and log in I can be on it. Besides it's my info that i'm looking up. Thanks usafaviator I will try and fight it. Good luck with your board as well.

10. grizz13

Suggestion to all is to use your CAC Card now to get your premium account if you havent yet! If not now then you gotta go to the VA hospital to get one...

11. 7LVL

7LVL PEB Forum Veteran

While I was waiting for my rating determination I called my VA rep and she said she couldn't discuss the ratings with me over the phone, fast forward a couple weeks and I get my determination in my hands. 50% for asthma + OSA from DoD, 80% total for everything I claimed, my VA rep told me if I haven't called her that day it would have been a 90% rating, but because her supervisor was in the office the day I called she looked at my case and said asthma + OSA were rated the same so I would only receive the combined rating. So I missed out on an extra 10%!

12. Kenyon

Kenyon PEB Forum Regular Member

How did you get 50% for asthma?? The VASRD ratings jump from 30% to 60% I thought? Did they say why 50%?

13. usafaviator

Yeah, that doesn't jive. Sounds like they found your OSA unfitting at 50% (with CPAP) and "associated" your asthma with the OSA (see pyramiding avoidance). That could be a better deal for you, especially if your asthma would have only warranted 30%. However, as I said before, OSA and asthma are two separate conditions.

more info here:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...de=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38#38:1.0.1.1.5.2.102.45