Call to the Commander...

Discussion in 'Commander's Letters' started by leading_lady26, Jun 12, 2012.

1. leading_lady26

leading_lady26 PEB Forum Regular Member

I was just wondering if things were moving in the right order. My husband got his P3 last week, and the Commander received a call today about a "paper" he needs to fill out (which I am guessing is the Commander's letter). Am I right?
  2. dpy

dpy PEB Forum Regular Member

Yes correct. Army I assume? When your husband meets with his PEBLO he should get a form for the commander to fill out (DA7652) which will say if the command thinks he should be retained even though he might have some health issues and what his duty limitations are and how they affect the unit and the completion of its' mission.
  3. leading_lady26

leading_lady26 PEB Forum Regular Member

They didn't call my husband, they called the Commander. Yes we're Army. And here is where I'm worried, my husband is actually an MP but is now working as NCOIC of Ops BECAUSE of his injury. I don't want them to say he is fit if he isn't actually working in his field, you know? I'm thinking everything will be fine because he cannot deploy because he can't wear gear. And from the looks of it, the Army is getting rid of TONS of Soldiers, starting with those that are on profile.
  4. sean6860

sean6860 PEB Forum Regular Member

Each commander has his own way of filling out the performance statement. When I filled them out for my soldiers I met with them to ensure I kept their best interests in mind as well as the Army's. I took into account the soldier's availability to deploy, the soldier's desire to stay or leave the Army, whether the soldier was actually performing his MOS, and I would add a little blurb at the end to paint a picture of the soldier's plan post Army: College, Apprenticeship, work on an oil rig, etc. I don't know if the board actually reads through all that extra I threw in but I figured it couldnt hurt.

A little on my advice to you:
    The commander's receive a brief from the hospital once a year (at least at Fort Polk) to discuss the med board process. They ensure that the commander know that if they receive these performance statements from the PEBLO, then a Surgeon has already recommended the soldier medboard out of the Army. I would recommend your husband write up his own commander statements and give it to his commander on digits. I know after about my 20th one I would have welcomed one in the soldiers words that I could just revise unstead of create from scratch. Actually, I did that exact thing when I entered the Med board process. I typed the entire statement and brought it to the Batalion Commander (I was just finishing up Company Command so I couldnt bring it my own company commander... that would be me :) ). He looked at it it and signed it immediately and I hand carried it to the PEBLO. Later on I changed PEBLOs and they lost they paperworkm so I had to redo all the initial paperwork, but that is beside the point lol. If he is an NCOIC then his chain of command obviously trusts him, so I (if I were his commander) would at least listen to his opinion of his futre in the Army.
  5. grizz13

grizz13 PEB Forum Regular Member

It is always the CDR's recommendation to keep the soldier if they can use them in a valuable slot! If the soldier does nothing but hurt their numbers, then they say to seperate! A Commanders recommendation is only that, just like a Commander says a doc's instruction or profile is only a recommendation!
  6. dpy

dpy PEB Forum Regular Member

Too bad you are separating sir. I've heard way more stories of ineptitude like mine than the way you did business. Don't worry lady26, I was also not working in my field because of my injury and they found me unfit. Unless you fight to stay (and even then) you'll be put out almost for sure.