Can VA change start date of claim

Discussion in 'Informal Physical Evaluation Board' started by kelly29207, Apr 3, 2012.

1. kelly29207

kelly29207 Member

?? for some of you VA/PEB guru's. My initial claim for comp with VA was opened on 3/26/2011. In OCT when my packet was picked up with the IDES, my initial claim showed up as closed and a new claim with identical info was opened minus the (actual) date received/start date. I had turned in all medical info, *DD214 from my active duty time, was also when I was hurt on 3/26/2011. Now that I am undergoing IDES processing, they changed that start date to Oct. 2011 when they picked up my packet for the IDES. Which relating to VA will be my actual start date, (March when I initially filed?) or (Oct when they changed my start date?) Which will I actually be paid from?

I've contacted VA once via IRIS inquiry, and they danced around the question. I've now contacted VA via telephone today to ask the same question. The woman I spoke to was flabbergasted and confused on why they would close out my initial claim and open an identical one with a different date. She has sent in an email inquiry and I should hear something in 7 days.

If they say my start date is OCT..what do I do to get that changed, as that would be totally incorrect and unacceptable.

If they say I will be paid back to March, I have no issues.
  2. Skydiver33

Skydiver33 New Member

Do you get back pay from the start of the claim in IDES program?
  3. kelly29207

kelly29207 Member

Just to clarify: I've been in the military since 1996. Filed in Mar 2011 for Comp claim with DD214 from Active Duty. I have been off active duty for a few years now and in the reserves. I then was picked up by the IDES process in OCT 2011. So I am asking will I receive back pay from the date I initially filed? From my secondary date that VA set up when I entered IDES system, or will I receive no backpay?
    Considering that I filed before the IDES process, and had an exisiting DD214, am I not entitiled to backpay to the date that I had initially filed?
  4. NDBravehart84

NDBravehart84 PEB Forum Regular Member

Here's one of those situations were it's clouded.... Yes you can start a claim with a past DD214, but if your going through the IDES system and have similar issues or are claiming the same injuries on the IDES process it becomes very clouded. I would still think that your original claims date is valid provided your not on active duty. It's a glitch in the merging of the two processes. The IDES system is a quick claim process....... and faster. KEEP US POSTED, and GOOD LUCK :confused:
  5. kelly29207

kelly29207 Member

Thanks. They started me out in the Legacy system..and changed me to IDES in OCT..so yeah..it's very cloudy, lol. Will def let all know when I find out anything. Over 1 year and counting...