Can't find a rating for my shoulder injury, someone can you help me here?

Discussion in 'Orthopedic Injuries' started by copterdocter101, Jan 30, 2010.

1. copterdocter101

copterdocter101 PEB Forum Regular Member

I have just started my MEB process, so I am a bit ignorant on how things work. I have heard horrible stories about people not geting a good rating and stuck with it even after an appeal. I injured my shoulder in 2005 in Iraq. I didn't hurt any bones or muscles it was all cartilage and tendons. Now in 2009 I had 2 surgeries to prevent repetitive dislocation and loss of ROM. My ROM is still bad, almost shoulder height in front of me and 45 deg. to the side. My main concern is thyat I won't get any rating for minimal strength. My profession is a helicopter mechanic and this is my dominant arm. I can't hand a bowl of soup to my wife, I would think this is qualifying for decent compensation? If anyone can help please write back!
    Thanks, Josh
  2. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

copterdocter101,

Loss of strength is part of the Deluca criteria for rating range of motion. The examiner should account for this in evaluating your Range of Motion. Hope this helps and that you get a good outcome. Best of luck!
  3. copterdocter101

copterdocter101 PEB Forum Regular Member

Thank you for the speedy reply, do you know where I can learn more about this? Also, When evaluating my shoulder, I looked in the VASRD rating list about muscular injuries to the dominant arm, do the apply a rating for each axis of the shoulder or only one i.e out to the side and to the from? Thank you so much for the help, It really helps to hear from someone, my unit isn't any help and I am hoping to get a guess of my percentage to make living arrangments once I go back to USA. Tahnks again.
    Josh
  4. usafvet

usafvet PEB Forum Regular Member

Can someone help me understand the information below.
    Thanks
    usafvet
    Shoulder ROM, ROM shoulder;
    flex 80 with guarded end feel,
    abd with guarded end feel,
    ER 20 with guarded end feel,
    IR 45 with guarded end feel.
    Functionally could not raise arm over head or reach behind head. Able to reach behind back at level of it glut. Able to reach opposite shoulder.
  5. mascabn

mascabn PEB Forum Veteran

Look up the VASRD on shoulders, it will list the ROM/%age scales, I would urge you both to go to the VA and get rated by them first, either way as far as decent compenstation, who knows, my husband only got 10% by the VA, for his. He too had to have surgery, and wasn't allowed to do a darned thing for six months with his arm. when you go for the exam be sure when they do the ROM measurements, go only to where the pain starts. Also be prepared to report how the injury effects your ability to work, and do ADL's (acitvities of daily living) my husband couldn't perform his civilian duties as a mechanic, painter. His surgeon insisted he not use any power type tools, as the vibrations could undo her beautiful work. He had his surgery two years ago, and tried to paint a truck three weeks ago, he's been in agony since. They should consider all this in your rating, but you'll have to spoon feed it to them. Good luck to you both.
  6. totall

totall PEB Forum Regular Member

Hey Copterdoctor,

I'm a 15T with a right shoulder injury from Iraq also, and my issues sound just like yours. Can't hand much to the wife, can't lift anything above shoulder height, and limited ROM. I've been deemed as "not fit for duty" at Ft. Lewis in my fit for duty exam.

I'm now waiting to go back to Lewis for my MEB/PEB.

Where are you now in the process, and have you been discharged?
  7. CobaltSSTurbo09

CobaltSSTurbo09 PEB Forum Regular Member

i also have a shoulder injury and am currently awaiting my results from the VA and the Navy, my package was submitted to the PEB 2 months ago. I had surgery on my right shoulder due to an AC Separation and had half an inch of my right collar bone removed and i also had a scope done. I have been on limited duty for a year now because of it. Hopefully i get something, my shoulder hasnt healed right after all the therapy and injections. Because of this injury i can not do my job and i have been sitting doing office work for a year now. just awaiting the results now. Hope all goes well for you.
  8. Merebear2009

Merebear2009 New Member

My husband also has injured shoulder, and was told today by his chain of command that instead of going to a wtu back in the states since he is currently stationed overseas, hes going to be going through the med board process.. I'm not exactly sure what this entails can someone please break it down to me? His chain of command has been extremely un-helpful in giving us answers and the HRC person he was given is a complete IDIOT!! Thanks for all your help