DA 199 = CRSC eligibilty?

Discussion in 'Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)' started by Shellback, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Shellback

Shellback PEB Forum Regular Member

Does haveing block 10 on the DA 199 say

"Soldiers retirement is not based on disability from an injury recieved in the line of duty as a direct result of armed comflict"

Mean that I am not in anyway eligible for CRSC?

I have an LOD approved by the NGB that says " Enclosed DA Form 2173 on Sgt 'Shellback' for acute respiratory failure that occurred during Operation Iraqi Freedom is approved "IN LINE OF DUTY"

Was wondering if I should apply or not. I am certain I meet all other requirements. Not certain of the Combat related aspect but I have good documentation in the LOD that my injury occured at Balad in Iraq.

I apologize for re-asking this question. So many threads I read here seemed to try to answer this but I'm still uncertain
  2. carnelli53

carnelli53 Moderator Staff Member

The language you quoted off the DA 199 is not necessarily determinative in a CRSC finding.

The first eligibility requirement for CRSC is retirement - you meet this requirement. However, you must also have been awarded a VA rating of 10% or greater and waived your military retirement pay in favor of VA disability compensation.

And of course, as a final requirement the injury must be classified as "combat-related." How did the leg injury occur? Generally, if the Balad injury resulted from training simulating war, hazardous duty, an instrumentality of war, or armed conflict itself, then it is deemed "combat-related."

There is a good general reference chart on this website: https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/crsc/eligibility.html - take a look to see if you can get a better understanding if you're injury is "combat-related."

No need to apologize, CRSC is a very case-specific benefit. Also, as some general advice, it never hurts to apply. The worst thing that can happen is you will be denied - if in doubt, apply!