Does AF fix you before seperation.....or do you leave broke?

Discussion in 'Air Force Info' started by shiena, Sep 24, 2010.

1. shiena

shiena PEB Forum Regular Member

So i'm going to throw this out there in case anyone can point me in the right direction. I just receieved seperation orders this morning (20%) and have until December. However, my commander submitted a waiver for me to have a surgery on 2 Aug that the surgeon general at base level has yet to approave/deny. This surgery, according to my endocrinologist and surgeon, would rid me of the majority of my medications (currently on 9 prescriptions).
    I'm just curious i've always heard that the Air Force has to fix you before tossing you out medically....is this true? I've only been in four years so i know i'm not at the top of anyones priority list or anything....but i came in healthy, and i'm leaving with almost complete enducrine failure and numerous side effects from these conditions. I just want to return to civilian life in some sort of a healthy state....i'm only 26 and i'm on more medications then my 60 year old father whose had countless health problems through the years.
    anyways sorry to blab on, just looking for some guidance. Thanks
  2. nooneuno

nooneuno PEB Forum Veteran

Good question. I'm sure plenty of the folks on here can provide useful information. I think I'm beyond fixing, so the AF will just have to let me go in the best state possible. Four years is a long time... Thanks for your service.
  3. VAJumper

VAJumper PEB Forum Veteran

No, they don't have to fix you before you get out. I'm pretty broken too with orders in hand to retire. I'll need another surgery too but won't do it until I'm out. The DoD is not set up to manage folks with disabilities--especially long-term chronic problems such as ours. That is what the VA is for once we're out. I can't travel without assistance and am on oxygen. The MILITARY/DOD does not provide travel assistance of any kind--but the VA and SSD do. (Make sure you apply for SSDI if you're unable to work). As long as I'm in the military, the VA and SS will not help with my transportation needs, provide needed medical equipment, nor modify my home to make it accessible. I don't even have a wheelchair ramp. If they held me until I was fixed, I would be in the military until I die--which I almost did after suffering pulmonary embolisms due to military neglect.

I don't know if the VA does gastric bypass, but if Tricare will and the VA won't, I'd press to get that done before I got out--but I think you're still entitled to Tricare for 6 months after separation. Don't quote me on that...
  4. xeno

xeno Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

60 days ;)

Anyhow...

Some conditions can not be fixed, only managed. I'm sure they would rather fix you than pay you.
  5. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

6. shiena

Thanks, yeah i maybe mis-spoke. with the surgery i would have many of my issues managed not fixed :) But managed is better than now.
  7. shiena

Unfortunatley all of my issues wouldnt be fixed, but the mass majority would be. I have a dent in my femur and perminant damage to my knee so they wont keep me in even if i'm able to have the surgery and manage the enducrine failure better. I just want some of my life back, and my health. I'm 26 and there's no reason for me to have come in with optimum health and leave with my body only operating off of medication, ya know?
    Thanks for the information! very helpful!! :)