Found unfit in local MEB, got a new PEBLO, how long do I have left?!?!

Discussion in 'Informal Physical Evaluation Board' started by N7crapbob, Aug 14, 2013.

1. N7crapbob

N7crapbob PEB Forum Veteran

So I know I probably got found unfit in the MEB. I find out this week, but I got a new PEBLO/MSC. We only have one at my base because it's super small. So things have been going very very slow. I was MEB in december 2012 and they just now got to this point. So how long does this PEB take. The old peblo said about 3 to 6 months, but is there anyway to speed up the process? My grandma lives in a different country and I wanted to go down and visit her because I don't think she has much time left. My second grandfather already passes away and I couldn't even go to Germany to see his funeral. So honestly I'm at the point to where I feel like no one wants to work in the Air Force. My peblo never answered any of my phone call and emails. I always had to go in person to find her and hunt her down. So please does anyone know how long I got left. I'm in the Air Fore and in the west coast. Thanks!!
  2. Warrior644

Warrior644 PEB Forum Veteran

Unfortunately, as you are aware, the presentation any timeline other than the approved and published DoD IDES process is purely speculative; albeit, other PEB Forum members may provide their personal experience(s) as to a DoD IDES timeline which could yield a real-life perspective opportunity. ;)

In retrospect due to a procedural viewpoint and to aide with building your knowledgebase, the DoD IDES PEB process until military separation or retirement is explained as follows:

If the PEB determines any unfit medical conditions, then the DoD IDES case file is forward to the DoVA D-RAS for ratings of all PEB referred unfitting conditions (e.g., DoD disability rating(s)) and all DoVA claimed conditions. It's important to note that DoD must adopt the DoVA D-RAS rating(s) for each PEB-referred unfitting condition(s).

Upon receipt of the IPEB findings inclusive of DoD and DoVA proposed ratings, the DA Form 199 (or AF Form 356 similar Service specific document) is generated. The PEB phase has an officially published DoD timeline of 120 calendar days, but current timelines are well extended due to the backlog of DoVA disability claims.

When the DA Form 199 (or AF Form 356 similar Service specific document) is finally signed [e.g. after resolution of a PEB appeal/review and/or an one-time VA Rating Reconsideration (VARR) request, if warranted], then it's forwarded to the Transition Point Processing System (TRANSPOC) II.

To that extent, TRANSPOC II performs transition processing functions in which it generates the DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release from Active Duty or Discharge) document, and schedules the generation of retirement/ separation orders from US Military.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!
  3. TSgt Twitch

TSgt Twitch PEB Forum Veteran

You can take leave during the IDES process, especially now since your in the ratings phase. Talk to your first sergeant an dhave them coordinate leave with your PEBLO, that is their job. anythign needing accomplished next could initially be done by email ( agreeing with findings/requesting a formal board/requesting a VA rating reconsideration) and then you could get back and do the formal part.

(best way IMHO)
    as long as you have access to an email capable computer preferably with a cac reader which you can buy/checkout depending on unit, and a scanner/fax machine. you write this down in an MFR format requesting leave with your "plan" in it. and then do your leave like normal.
    Now you say "down" i have to add the caveat that overseas locations with travel warnings could exclude your leave. but if its Germany/Europe this should be a non issue. now if you are meaning a lot of time in excess of what normal leave would be etc. there is always home awaiting discharge as an option to apply for.

Have you got/setup an ebenfits account to see what stage your claim is at? (its not 100% accurate but its a rough idea)? do you have a ballpark what your ratings could/should be? etc.? (not asking you to give them, but somethign yo should keep in mind for planning/preparation so that if you get a big surprise you are prepared to handle it approp.)
  4. N7crapbob

Ok sorry an update, so today I found out apparently that I'm return to duty per the local MEB, but I don't want that outcome. I've been in since december 2012 and they just now got to this point. I already went through thinking they would probably find me unfit, but now it says return to duty?! They even sent an email on the medical service knowledge that stated that if they do an intial Rilo and the AFPC finds the member to be medboardable and says FULL MEB that their is no reason the the local board should put Return to duty. So now I'm going to submit an impartial review and a rebuttal against it. I can barely work as it is! How do they think that my migraines are going to magically disappear. How?!?! There is no cure for migraines. That's like telling someone with Autism is cureable it's not! I just don't understand with the freaking air force is so idiotic. Did they not read that update that stated not to put return to duty because it is pointless and it takes more time! Oh and get this, the PEBLO kept trying to talk me out of an Impartial Review. Why? Because she said it's pointless and proves nothing to anyone. I sat there for 2 hours and argued with her and because she was yelling and I was keeping calm a higher SGt had to step in. I kept telling her no I'm going to submit an impartial review because of two reasons: One they put down I have headaches not migraines!! Two: They VA and the Air Force had different statements with one saying with auras and the other saying without. I told her that I have to rebuttal the findings because it's not even the right condition. They apparently don't know how to read. But anyways I kept telling her that the NARSUM was also not even up to date. It was from back in January. It's freaking August now! So how can they determine my fitness off of a NARSuM that's not up to date and that doesn't even have the right condition? I'm honestly out of answers. I mean at this point, I might as well go out and get cancer since it would maybe be faster to get out that way. OR hey why not a disease. It seems to me that the air force would rather waste time and money keeping me in active duty when I don't and can't be in active duty anymore. I get sooooooo many migraines a week and month that I'm calling in all the time. I can't help it that the air force put me in a flightline job and it gave me migraines. Please please please can you help me because nobody on base seems to know anything about the rebuttal process since allegedly I am the first one to do one.
  5. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

Very troubling and problematic that they are nor familiar with the appeals process. (More troubling, because, I have no doubt that they continually try to talk folks out of exercising their options).

Another comment- there really is no need to argue. Just submit the request (which is a right) for the impartial review. The option is your to make. They can't stop you from making it. End of story.
  6. N7crapbob

Thank you. Second problem, if you possibly know, is what can I do though if they are telling me that no one in the history of my base, which is over 70 years old, has ever submitted an impartial review. I feel as though they don't really follow any of the AFIs. They are a small base so they kind of do what they want in a sense whether it is illegal or not. So that's where I'm stuck at.
  7. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

Well, first, the impartial review only came about post-2008 NDAA...was not really implemented until 2010-2011 on a wide spread basis. So, it is kind of a BS statement for them to say it has never been done in past 70 years. (And, the fact that your PEBLO can't/won't help is a disgrace).

But, to answer your question, just submit a request for the impartial review. Most PEBLO's give my clients a form letter to request one. However, there is no "magic form" to do this. Put a request in writing, asking for an impartial review of your MEB. You don't have to beg for this or justify it. You just have to ask for it. So, ask for it.
  8. Warrior644

Wow! This is truly disheartening news to read and unfortunately isn't an independently isolated event within the DoD IDES process! :(

In my opinion, you PEBLO need a new employment career opportunity NOT within the customer service type field! ;)

Simply, stated; these are unacceptable actions...totally unacceptable actions...ICE that individual up at your first opportunity!

By the way, it's in your best interest to consider Jason's continually sound and insightful feedback; he's in the know! :D

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. TSgt Twitch

Jason/warrior Am I missing something here? His NARSUM is complete, and he had his IPEB, there is no impartial review at this point, would it not be FPEB request time? knowing that since a fit finding was returned they can deny the FPEB request?
  10. N7crapbob

Sorry to just now clarify, but it's a local MEB. I'm not a 100% sure though that every base does this. It may be because our base has more civilians than active duty. Anyways though, they were telling me that there's no way I can change what our local base recommends. They said whatever they recommend is final but regardless of whether found "refer to IPEB or Continue active service," it still gets sent to the IPEB. I just have never heard of that. Why would they do an intial rilo which is sent to the AFPC and then returned back as "full meb," and then put continue active service. It makes no sense. They were the ones who recommended it in the first place.
  11. TSgt Twitch

Hrmm confusing, A RILO or what some call a "fast track" meb is still sent to DPAM, and they determine full meb warranted or return to duty and if return to duty it stops there. If your PCM suggested a MEB that is the first step generally and it takes a few days to a few months.

So lets get on the same page so we can understand stuff easier.

Did you meet with a VA MSC?
    Did you do VA C&P exams?
    Did your commander ever do a statement?
    Did you do an actual NARSUM which listed all claimed conditions etc. etc.
  12. N7crapbob

Oh yes I had to do all of that. And the Rilo said Full MEB, so they did a local MEB and then put fit of active duty, but they said it's still getting sent to the IPEB. I don't understand what the heck they are doing and why.
  13. TSgt Twitch

hrrrm does seem weird, if ya did the rilo said full MEB/PEB then you did the VA appt's then it would all be DPAM/AFPC doing the determination, without any regard to what the local docs said. I would get a hol dof patient advocacy and your first shirt to talk to the peblo and find otu wtf is their line of thought and why they chose to ignore regulations etc.
  14. Warrior644

In retrospect, if the IPEB renders a "fit for duty" decision, the military service member may either concur or non-concur with the IPEB decision.

If the military service member non-concur, the military service member should submit a written rebuttal that includes new medical information or performance data not previously available or considered by the IPEB. Other supporting material may also be presented.

Moreover, if the military service member is found fit by an IPEB, the military service member unfortunately doesn't have a legal right to a hearing; however, as an exception, a formal PEB may be requested from the PEB President. Albeit, if the military service member is found fit while on the TDRL, the military service member is entitled to a formal hearing before the PEB.

To that extent, it's important to note that a military service member doesn't give up his/her rights to a FPEB by submitting a written rebuttal.

Best Wishes!