from WTU to CBWTU?

Discussion in 'Army Warrior Transition Units' started by Coxypox, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Coxypox

Coxypox Member

I'm an active duty 2LT at Ft benning.... I was injured in 2008 and re injured myself in my IBOLC class. I was just approved to start the MEB process. My question is, if i get transferred into the WTB or WTU, could i get transferred to the CBWTU in Arkansas? My MEB is for feet issues, and Anxiety/PTSD. the problem is that my wife has already moved back to AR to take a job so we are financially stable when i get out.... and if i was there i could see my family. Also, I have 9 years of service if that helps. Thanks for your help!
  2. Chimira3232

Chimira3232 PEB Forum Regular Member

Yea I thought the same thing. I'm at Ft.Bragg me and another guy has almost the same situation as you. They would not even consider it. We are E-6 E-7 and they would not even discuss it. Good luck I hope you have more luck than we did.
  3. PtDraco

PtDraco PEB Forum Regular Member

Normally you must be a Reservist/National Guard soldier to be transferred to the CBWTU. One word of warning, as I am in the CBWTU AR and saw this happen to a buddy. Make sure your MEB is initiated at the WTB/WTU. Once you get to Little Rock, you will see a doctor (ONLY one!!) and he/she will determine if you should be separated or continue the MEB. My buddy was basically told they were going to return him to duty and let his MRP orders expire, which they did. He was able to retire (he had his 20 year letter), but only AFTER they let his orders run out did he go to San Antonio for his DD214, retirement briefs, etc.

Also, if you do go to the CBWTU, you MUST...and I mean MUST ensure any civilian records (copies, of course) are passed to your Platoon SGT, Case Manager and PEBLO. I am currently undergoing an appeal because the VA physicians only looked at what was in ALTA and did not even LOOK at my civilian records. The VA Ortho doc even went as far as to admit he had not even looked at ANY records other than ALTA.

Also, be advised that you can not have ANY surgery (other than life, limb, or eyesight) when in the CBWTU undergoing an MEB. I have a Grade 3 MCL tear in one of my knees and was told I could not get surgery until after the PEB. Which is interesting because Tricare had already approved the procedure.
  4. kevin h

kevin h PEB Forum Regular Member

I was just wondering if you made it to a CBWTU while on active duty. I am going to be PCSing to Ft. Sam from Germany next month to go through my MEB and I’m trying to get transferred to a CBWTU near my HOR. I have generalized epilepsy and suffer from seizures every 2-3 weeks and would like to move back with my parents until I get my illness under control since I have a lot of trouble living by myself. Thanks for the help.
  5. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Regular Member

I am also finding out that transfer from a WTU to a CB-WTU STOPS the "early retirement" time clock. Apparently, as long as you're at a WTU, you may still qualify for "early retirement" credit.

But if you are NG/Reserve - once you transfer to a CB-WTU from a WTU, your early retirement "credit for time served" STOPS, and all CB-WTU time served will NOT count toward early retirement credit.

This is how HRC is intrepreting the law.
    Another nickle-and-dime approach to the wounded NG/Reserves.
    V/r,
    nwlivewire
  6. NDBravehart84

NDBravehart84 PEB Forum Regular Member

I went from a WTU to a CBWTU... At a annual muster I met several Active Army Soldiers... so I know they have been in the CBWTU System, but the rules are always changing. Don't take anything for granted ;)
  7. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Regular Member

Yep. You're right about that buddy!

The "credit towards early retirement" time clock STOP applies to all in the CB-WTUs nation-wide - regardless of service affiliation.

At least that's what HRC told me.

WTU time will count in most cases, but all CB-WTU time will NOT count.
    And currently, this is affecting mostly NG/Reserve SMs - with a smattering of a small percentage of AD wounded Warriors being thrown under this bus, too.

V/r,
    nwlivewire