House passes automatic COLA for veterans

Discussion in 'Veterans Affairs, SSDI, and other Benefits' started by Paul in the VANG Band, May 21, 2013.

1. Paul in the VANG Band

Paul in the VANG Band PEB Forum Regular Member

2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Regular Member

Now it all comes down as to whether or not the Senate approves this, and, if our Congress and Senate change COLA calculations to this new and reduced "chained CPI" calculation method that keeps being bantered about in these hallowed halls.

Gee, I can hardly wait....

V/r,
    nwlivewire[/quote]
  3. ChristopherLee

ChristopherLee PEB Forum Regular Member

Cola, isn't that only for oconus? Are you saying we could draw that living in the states? I'm 30 percent disabled would I get it living in OR?
  4. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Site Founder Staff Member

No, COLA applies to all military and VA benefit increases. Your disability percentage does not matter, nor does your locality. You would get it.
  5. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Regular Member

I found a little paper on a web site that explains and lays out in dollars and cents the issue of "Chained CPI" and the impact a "Chained CPI" will have on the annual COLA (Cost Of Living Allowance) benefit on Veterans who receive VA C&P AND SSDI/SSI.

http://www.strengthensocialsecurity.org/sites/default/files/VA COLA Fact Sheet_ Definitive_FINAL_0.pdf

This "new and improved" Chained CPI issue is currently before the House and Senate for consideration and a vote!

COLA based on this "Chained CPI" will have an adverse economic effect and become a DOUBLE WHAMMY hit for a Veteran who receives BOTH SSDI/SSI and VA C&P, as COLA for VA C&P will be tied to the Social Security COLA as per this "Chained CPI" COLA calculation method.

This new aspect of tying COLA increases based on Social Security COLA for Veterans who receive VA C&P, PLUS, the possible approval at the HOW and WHAT is included in arriving to the COLA percentage increase when using the "new and improved" Chained CPI calculation method is NOT such a hot idea.

The most highly disabled Veterans will really be financially penalized at a time when they can LEAST afford to take such a DOUBLE WHAMMY economic hit like this.

And add that to the military medical insurance increases, decreases in coverage, increases in RX drug costs, increases in insurance deductibles & co-pays - not to mention this cock-eyed version of how a COLA increase gets determined - well,

HOLY COW!

So far, I have not found any article that explains why "Chained CPI" is a good thing at all, or explains WHY "Chained CPI" is a beneficial and accurate reflection of inflation. It appears that most information on the WEB I've found claims that this tie-in of COLA for VA C&P to the Social Security COLA, PLUS the POSSIBLE "Chained CPI" effect, will be a horrible economic thing to do to our most vulnerable people whose health care needs and assistance is most greatly needed.

What I do see is the big hand of the Government ("The House") sweeping together all the poker chips on the table and combining them into one big pot (combining ALL the Social Security recipients/players/non-military disabled and all the VA recipients/players who ARE military disabled). That way, it would be easier to pass ONE law ("Chained CPI") to effect ALL the players at the House-owned table, and dole out lower pay-outs for those who have sacrificed the quality of their lives/livelihoods on behalf of this Great Nation.

HOLY COW!

http://www.strengthensocialsecurity.org/sites/default/files/VA COLA Fact Sheet_ Definitive_FINAL_0.pdf

V/r,
    nwlivewire

Perhaps Veterans or soon-to-be disabled Veterans should be paying attention to this "Chained CPI" issue being actively spoken of in our Halls of Congress.