How long will my retirement take?

Discussion in 'Army Case Timelines' started by Whipster, May 5, 2012.

1. Whipster

Whipster New Member

I got and signed my 199 on 3 May. I got 40% for my unfitting conditions and 90% overall. I have over 80 days of leave, and can take PTDY if I want. I would like to be cleared and get out within the next couple of weeks as I have already found a job. Does anyone know how long it takes to get out on medical retirement?

2. mhaynes15

mhaynes15 PEB Forum Veteran

Im not sure how fast your transitions office is but this is what happens after you sign your 199. The 199 gets forwarded to the APDA "Army Physical Disability Agency", they take a look at if for correctness (takes 2-5 days), then the APDA sends it to your transitions office. Transitions sends an email, hopefully, to your BDE or your parent unit with information on how to pick your retirement date via a DA 4187, counseling statement, and DA 31. You have to track this email down either your unit forwards it to you or you go to the transitions office to see if they have the example documentation for you. You only have about 5 business days from the day the APDA sends your DA 199 to transitions to request a retirement date. If you don't do anything about it, then you get a 'default' separation date usually about 90 days after your packet hits transitions. Typically, if your transition office moves well, then it would be about 1-2 weeks for them to cut you orders with a default date. If you pick the date of retirement and hand carry the packet into transitions, they will cut your orders within 48 hours from when you turned it in.

My advice, go to the transitions office on monday to see if they have anything for you. I signed my DA 199 on April 18, and got my orders cut Apr. 27 after I tracked down the example at my BDE S-1 (In which, if I never checked with Transitions and my BDE, then i would have never even found out that an email was sent requesting information and that i could pick the date of retirement. Most Medical Retirees don't know you can do that)

Remember, if you don't request your day of retirement/separation, then you will get a default separation date typically 90 days from the date you signed your DA 199.

3. Whipster

Whipster New Member

Thanks, I went to retirement services today and found out that I have not shown up on TRANSPOC yet. I have already started my retirement packet by giving them a copy of my DA 199, all of my enlistments contracts, my medical extension letter, and my DD214's from my prior service. They told me to call them on Friday to see if I was in TRANSPOC yet. I also called my PEBLO, because he has a habit of taking his time in sending my packet forward. (Already cost me about 1 1/2 months). Usually when I call him to inquire about the status of my packet, I see movement on it the next day. How will I know when I hit TRANSPOC? I do not have access to it, so either transitions or retirement would have to tell me. Is there any way to find out on my own?

4. CarlB

CarlB PEB Forum Veteran

Whipster,

I made friends a couple years back with the transitions office guy and he will be checking for me when it comes time. Aside from that, there's a number floating around here for APDA to call and check on status of your claim - its the one located in Crystal City, VA (if you do a search it should come up on the site with that city searched) where they moved as a result of BRAC a little while back.

EDIT: Scratch that - I found it:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/US Army Physical Disability Agency

Our toll free number (1-877-577-3065) will still be available for Soldier inquiries. During our relocation to Crystal City, every effort will be made to ensure that minimal disruption occurs for everyone involved with the PDES.