ID card question

Discussion in 'Air Force Discussion' started by jason5201, Mar 10, 2011.

1. jason5201

jason5201 PEB Forum Regular Member

I just signed my findings for 40% permanent retirement today and started asking some questions that I cant get answered. One is I am taking my terminal leave and PTDY and was wondering if I would get my blue id card before I leave here in Germany. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Marine32

Marine32 PEB Forum Regular Member

You won't be able to get your blue ID card until you are officially placed on PDRL. In other words, the date you are officially discharged from active duty and receive your retirement orders. The reason why is because you are still on active duty while on terminal leave and on PTDY. You should receive your DD214 and official ofders placeing you on PDRL a few weeks after your official discharge date, and then you can take the information to any military ID card station to get your new retirement (blue) ID card.
  3. joshgo

joshgo PEB Forum Regular Member

First, CONGRATS!!!

As for your ID: Just before your final out, they will take your old one and issue you a new one that expires on your DOS (I know, kinda seems like a waste). Then, as Marine32 said, after your DOS and once you get your DD Form 214, you can go get your blue card at any ID card facility.

Also (since I too retired at Spagdahlem), make sure you stay on top of them about your 214. It took me 2 months of fighting with people on the phone for them to send mine, and of course it had errors. Turns out they never forwarded the 214 worksheet I gave them at my final out. I'm sure the same individuals are still working there, so just a heads up.

If it's been a while since your retirement date and they still haven't sent it, give this number a call (210) 565-5935. It's the [FONT=&quot]AFPC Retirements/Separations Documentation Branch disability retirements section.
    [/FONT]
  4. jackey6411

jackey6411 PEB Forum Regular Member

Yes, you can get your ID card on terminal...I received permanent retirement in Feb and am currently on terminal leave until my date of 27 March. I went in to the local base near my house, gave them my retirement orders and two forms of id (DL and Active ID card) and they issued my retired ID card and took my AD id card. You are allowed to get your retired id up to 90 days before your actual retirement date. The only problem with this is Tricare, once they update you in DEERS as a retiree you are no longer on AD in that system (even though you are until your DOS), so you will be in a gray area when it comes to medical issues, if you have a family remember that. When you are a reiree you have to pay for your medical care, you can get Tricare Prime for $230.00 a year if you are single and $460.00 a year if you have a family, and it will not be effective until your actual date of retirment, so if you are ok with not having health ins for a bit then you can go and get your blue id card, but they would rather you to wait as long as possible before you turn in that AD card and get your new one. (They should be telling you all this, so you know what is going on, every person (Tricare, MPF, Clinic, CC) I talked to drilled this stuff in me).

Your DD214 needs to be done in vMPF, you go into the retirements block and make sure all your information is correct, if you need help you can call: 1-202-565-5935, this is the number for MSgt Harden who deals with the DD 214's for disability retirements. When I called him he told me to do the 214 worksheet up in vMPF and submit it to them, they work on it the same month as your retirement, so if you are retiring in March, it will be worked this month. He also told me it will be mailed out and should be received by me, NLT 2 wks after my effective date of retirement. If you don't receive it, you need to call them since you will eventually need this to show status for a job.
  5. jason5201

jason5201 PEB Forum Regular Member

Thanks Jackey for all the info. I will have to keep asking and see what I can do before I head out of here. I was planning to take a vacation while on terminal leave and didn't understand how this would all work once my ID card was expired and I needed to get on a base to get my new ID.

Josh, I know what you are saying about the people here at Spang. I am so frustrated with the majority of the people that I am dealing with. I had an issue last week with my pay since my original DOS was approaching and I was placed on medical hold. I called finance which sent me to MPF which claimed they didn't handle it and told me to call the PEBLO and finance. After going back and forth for several hours I got upset and demanded that someone take responsibility and something might actually get done now. Every place that I deal with and ask them for something they refer me to the PEBLO because they don't want to do their job.
  6. joshgo

joshgo PEB Forum Regular Member

Good info Jackey, I didn't know about the 90 days out thing. But if that puts you in the gray area, I wouldn't recommend it.

About Spang, I sincerely hated that base. No one actually wanted to do their job... And that was the worst finance office I've ever seen.

Hope you have better luck down the road!
  7. Marine32

That makes sense that you can get your retirement ID once you receive your orders, but like I said before, they sent me my official orders placing me on TDRL about a week after my official date of separation. I also would not recommend getting your retirement ID at least until your are around your retiirement date. I say this because while I was on terminal leave my son had some pretty significant health care issues and I had to bring him to the emergency room. If I wasn't covered by my insurance (tricare prime remote at the time), I would have had to pay a pretty penny for everything. Also, make sure you get in touch with tricare prior to your retirement date to ensure you get enrolled into tricare prime to avoid a break in health care insurance.
  8. jackey6411

jackey6411 PEB Forum Regular Member

Also, one other thing and this is off the subject of ID cards...please remember that your last paycheck will be zeroed out; let me explain. My date of retirement is on the 28th of March. I will be getting my 15 March paycheck, but will not get one on the 1st of April even though I am still on active duty until the 28th. The reason for this, I was told is that DFAS has 30 days from you effective date of retirement to do an audit on your entire career to see if there is anything that they may owe you or you may owe them. Once they have completed this you will get your "final paycheck" with either the correct remaining amount, less amount (if they find you owe), or extra (if they find they owe you). I was not told this when I finaled out with finance and I just happened to go in there last wk with a question and was briefed that I would not be getting a paycheck on the 1st of April, so please make sure you have something saved to pay your bills.
  9. Marine32

Another good point jackey6411! I went through the same process to receive my final paycheck. i just didn't get an explanation for it, but they did pay me for several days of leave that should have been marked as used, so I didn't fuss about it too much.