Legislation for 112th Congress

Discussion in 'Veterans Affairs, SSDI, and other Benefits' started by pittpan2005, Jun 12, 2012.

1. pittpan2005

pittpan2005 PEB Forum Veteran

Good Afternoon All,
    I will be posting some current Bills that pertain to active duty service members, Veterans and family members. Feel free to update with others you find.

2. pittpan2005

H.R.181
    Latest Title: National Guardsmen and Reservists Parity for Patriots Act
    Sponsor: Rep Wilson, Joe [SC-2] (introduced 1/5/2011) Cosponsors (74)
    Latest Major Action: 2/4/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Military Personnel.

Jump to: Summary, Major Actions, All Actions, Titles, Cosponsors, Committees, Related Bill Details, Amendments
    SUMMARY AS OF:
    1/5/2011--Introduced.

National Guardsmen and Reservists Parity for Patriots Act - Amends the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 to back-date to September 11, 2001, the period of active duty or performed active service, in support of a contingency operation or in other emergency situations, for which members of Ready Reserve components of the armed forces shall receive credit in determining eligibility for early receipt of non-regular service retired pay.

3. pittpan2005

H.R.303
    Latest Title: Retired Pay Restoration Act
    Sponsor: Rep Bilirakis, Gus M. [FL-9] (introduced 1/18/2011) Cosponsors (92)
    Related Bills: H.R.1979
    Latest Major Action: 2/25/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs.

Jump to: Summary, Major Actions, All Actions, Titles, Cosponsors, Committees, Related Bill Details, Amendments
    SUMMARY AS OF:
    1/18/2011--Introduced.

Retired Pay Restoration Act - Expresses the sense of Congress that military retired pay should not be reduced because a military retiree is also eligible for veterans' disability compensation awarded for a service-connected disability.
    Allows the receipt of both military retired pay and veterans' disability compensation with respect to any service-connected disability (under current law, only a disability rated at 50% or more). Repeals provisions phasing in the full concurrent receipt of such pay through December 31, 2013.
    Makes eligible for the full concurrent receipt of both veterans' disability compensation and either military retired pay or combat-related special pay those individuals who were retired or separated from military service due to a service-connected disability.

4. pittpan2005

H.R.333
    Latest Title: Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act
    Sponsor: Rep Bishop, Sanford D., Jr. [GA-2] (introduced 1/19/2011) Cosponsors (155)
    Latest Major Action: 2/25/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs.

SUMMARY AS OF:
    1/19/2011--Introduced.

Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act - Amends federal military retired pay provisions to: (1) permit veterans with a service-connected disability of less than 50% to concurrently receive both retired pay and disability compensation; (2) eliminate provisions requiring a phase in between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2013, of concurrent receipt of retired pay and disability compensation; (3) eliminate the four-year phase-in of concurrent receipt of retired pay and disability compensation for disabled veterans determined to be individually unemployable; and (4) require a limited reduction in retired pay for combat-related disability retirees with less than 20 years of retirement-creditable service.

5. pittpan2005

H.R.812
    Latest Title: Agent Orange Equity Act of 2011
    Sponsor: Rep Filner, Bob [CA-51] (introduced 2/18/2011) Cosponsors (66)
    Related Bills: S.1629
    Latest Major Action: 3/15/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs.

SUMMARY AS OF:
    2/18/2011--Introduced.

Agent Orange Equity Act of 2011 - Includes as part of the Republic of Vietnam, for purposes of the presumption of service connection for diseases associated with exposure by veterans to certain herbicide agents while in Vietnam, such Republic's inland waterways, ports, harbors, waters offshore, and airspace.
    Includes as veterans eligible for such presumption those who: (1) served on Johnston Island during the period beginning on April 1, 1972, and ending on September 30, 1977; or (2) received the Vietnam Service Medal or the Vietnam Campaign Medal.

6. OverqualifiedNavy

OverqualifiedNavy PEB Forum Veteran

Does anyone have any updated information on H.R. 2002 a bill that would allow 1 enlistment / term persons to forward there GI Benefits to depdnts?
    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h2002/show
    It was in committee in 2011 and nothing since...

7. Dfree454

Dfree454 PEB Forum Veteran

Do we know when this goes into effect?

8. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

Congress passed their version of the 2013 NDAA this Spring. Now, the Senate gets to add-on or take-away from it. Then, after much committes, more B.S., etc., the bill gets some more "going over" with final negotiations ("Horse trading") and final committee votes later this year. Then, once resolved and final floor votes for passage, it's on to the President for signature.

There is plenty of time yet for additions, corrections, and deletions to the NDAA 2013.

It is an excellent idea to keep watch of this.

But more importantly - DON'T JUST WATCH AND READ - YOU MUST WRITE YOUR ELECTED CONGRESS AND SENATE MEMBERS, TOO.

There are emails that can come to your personal email in-box from Vet organizations like VFW, etc. They keep watch, and send you notices to your in-box when your email of support is needed at critical moments.

JUST SIGN UP!!!!

But more importantly - LET YOUR ELECTED LEADERS KNOW YOUR SUPPORT WITH AN EMAIL!!!!

All you have to do is click on the ALERT email the VFW (and other VET watchdogs) can send you. The letter of support is already done - there's room on it to send a personal addition, too (only if you want to). Then click - and it's all done!

Takes two minutes of your time - really! It's fast and immediate - it lets your elected leaders know you're watching and support these AD and VET issues.

So sign up and get on their emails. You'll learn alot in the process, too!

Remember, this is an election year and many of our elected folks are up for our votes, too. Knowing where they stand on these issues can assist us to vote for the best representatives.

v/r,
    nwlivewire

9. Dfree454

Dfree454 PEB Forum Veteran

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO

10. pittpan2005

11. commosgt

commosgt PEB Forum Veteran

Pittpan2005, do you know of any updates of what you have posted! Ive been hearing a lot about concurrent receipt for chapter 61 retirees. I am also hearing about it at work as I work for the VA, some of the guys i work with are Chapter 61....crossing our fingers!!!!

12. pittpan2005

13. nwlivewire

Also, the emails from VFW can keep you up-to-date and they send out alerts on issues you can email your representatives about, too.

IAVA is another organization you can get emails from that help you keep up with stuff.

MOAA is another org, too.

I frankly, would be shocked and amazed if the NDAA 2013 actually made changes more inclusive to Chapter 61 Vets. With all the deficit issues and the polarization between the parties on Capitol Hill, I would be absolutely amazed if any substantial changes for Chapter 61 Vets went all the way through to passage and then on to the President for signiture this year.

I certainly always hope - and I send emails of support to my elected representatives - but I'm not holding my breath this year.

What I am holding right now is my vote - my vote, for which I will cast in accordance with those whose records support these measures.

V/r,
    nwlivewire

14. commosgt

commosgt PEB Forum Veteran

Nwlivewire, I agree with you! I find it disturbing that one party loves the military and veterans but never supports after we give our blood, sweat, and tears. They will never know what it is like to suffer like we have. On the other hand the other party try to support us. It is shocking as i have viewed who is for us and who are against us as i have seen who is voting via the voting. Words mean nothing if they are not supporting us via voting.

15. nwlivewire

Know what you mean, Bean.

I have often wished more of those people on "The Hill" would put their money where their mouths are.

Could it be that so many of them seem to be so busy gourging themselves, and their "capitol" cronnies at the public trough, that there's nothing left at the end of the day but a few crumbs to toss around? And then, after a big belch, they have the afterthought to say, "Thanks for your service. Now how about we throw you a big ticker-tape parade when we're done with you and these wars?"

I guess the over 50,000 homeless Vets (and growing) - and I guess the thousands of unemployed Vets - I guess they can just keep pushing their grocery carts down the sidewalks of Main Street USA.

I just hope these Vets know when it's time for them to get in line for their one free Happy Meal a year on the "Honor Our Veterans Day".

We live in very interesting times indeed....

Just make sure you get to the polls and vote accordingly.

V/r,
    nwlivewire