meb vs retirement

Discussion in 'Army Discussion' started by edwin1111, Jan 1, 2011.

1. edwin1111

edwin1111 PEB Forum Regular Member

i have been hearing so many different stories, ok, i have presently 34 years of military service 22 active duty and 12 reserve, i can retire at any time, i qualify for the final pay i came in the military in 1977 , I am presently a E-8 , i was told the meb would not hurt my chance, going through meb for cervical spondylosis , lumbar spondylosis , ashma, bronchosteoarthritis right hip, and left shoulder. I'm not sure if i well benefit from this, also i took at severance pay back in 1992 when i got out the first time, and i understand that i well have to pay that back first. Please give me some insight, thank you very much for your time.

2. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Benevolent Leader Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

You may benefit from a military disability retirement if the disability percentage awarded is higher than your length of service calculation. If you have any unfitting condition, the minimum you will be paid will be the same as the length of service (LOS) calculation. So, you may do better with a PEB, but you can't do any worse than the LOS calculation.

As far as paying back the severance pay, it may depend on what type of severance pay award you received (there are various types of authorities for severance pay, so to really analyze that question, you have to look at the basis for the original payment).

Best of luck!

3. VAJumper

VAJumper PEB Forum Veteran

If you're talking about the VSI/SSB, I took the VSI in 1992 as well. The way it stands now, they will take a max of 40% of your retirement back until it is paid off, unless you can prove to them you have a financial hardship. The first 3 months they cannot take anything back. You can find out more by Googling.

4. edwin1111

ok, very good thank you so much for the quick response and good answers, i did google and the first 3 months you don't have to pay anything back, and it is at 40% , wow that still is alot , is that also based on what i took after taxes? ok, getting back to the retirement ok, as far as retirement using the Final Pay Calculator i put in the number of years i have which are 33 , and it gives me a retirement of 4100. before taxes , so my unfitting conditions are cervical spondylosis , and lumbar spondylosis, and ashma which won't qualify, please expain how i would do better taking a military disability retirement. Also if i don't do better could i still retire? Thanks so much for all the great information. As it stands now i'm taking my C&P Exams this week, at the local VA. I thank this is were i'm kind of lost, if i decided to just retire are you saying they would take 40 % of my military retirement or 40 of VA Disability. Because my va C&P exam i list a total of 16 unfitting conditions. Please give me some insight, hey guys thanks for all the help . thank you very much for your time.

5. VAJumper

Not sure about the taxes. Unless you were on full time active duty doing the 12 years you were in the reserves, you may have put in the incorrect numbers. You need to add up your total points then divide by 360 to get the total years to put in the calculator. If I had 20 years active and 14 reserves which totaled 7900 points=22 years. This would have given me a 55% retirement. My disability retirement was 70% vs 55% (less the 40% of the 70% subtracted for VSI). BY taking a disability retirement, I received 15% more.

6. edwin1111

i have the computation of length of service and it says total creditable service years 33 which is like 80%

7. VAJumper

NO. Credible service is based on active duty service. HOW MANY POINTS YOU HAVE will determine credible service