My VA Claim Update

Discussion in 'VA Benefits' started by joshgo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. joshgo

joshgo PEB Forum Regular Member

So after 19 months of waiting on the VA, my claim is FINALLY complete!

Claim Received: 01/01/2011
    Claim Type: Compensation and Pension
    Claim Closed: 08/08/2012

I was under the legacy program and filed the day after I was retired. Once a decision was made, everything moved very fast. Last night I noticed I moved to the pending decision approval phase. This morning I moved to the preparation for notification phase. This afternoon (closing time at the VA I guess), it said complete. I'm able to see my letter already and tell that I was rated correctly, 100% P&T!

Now, just have to wait for the back pay. 100% with 4 dependents over 19 months...you do the math, I'm a very happy guy right now. I would be so lost and confused without this site. Thank you Jason and the MANY others here willing to share their knowledge and experiences

Now, excuse me while I go look up tickets to Bora Bora :D
  2. hsanchez0328

hsanchez0328 PEB Forum Regular Member

Could you please tell us your conditions and how you can tell if you are P&T or just 100% but not P&T. Thanks in advance.
  3. pittpan2005

pittpan2005 PEB Forum Regular Member

Sometimes the wording in VA decision letters differs. If P&T, often it will say, "No future exam scheduled," or say "permanent in nature" and they will notify you that you/family are eligible for CHAMPVA and chapter 35 benefits.

If 100%, but not P&T, is will say "Future exams likely," or state "expect an exam with x number of years," and they won't notify you that Chapter 35 and CHAMPVA is available to you/family.

Re-read your decision letter if unsure. Also, keep in mind many people want the P&T for chapter 35 for dependents. If you or anyone seeks an upgrade to P&T you have to way your options and speak with knowledgable VSO's. If you apply for re-adjustment, your claim is re-opened and you'll need to defend it. Also, requesting a P&T rating so that your kids can receive benefits is not going to fly with the VA. You must have a better argument than, "I should be P&T so my kids can go to school."

Just my two cents and if you shop around online you'll find many great groups/sites with info.
    joshgo likes this.
  4. joshgo

It was just as pittpan described for me. You'll see the phrases "no future exams are scheduled" or "this total disability is considered permanent" or something like that. You're decision package should breakdown what and why your were rated what you were rated and should say that you are eligible for chap 35 education benefits and champva.

My condition is in my signature.
  5. joshgo

Also, I got my big brown envelope in the mail this past Saturday and got my back pay Monday morning. The VA didn't notify DFAS, so the retirement pay I've already gotten this past year and a half was not subtracted from the total as it should have been (I'm not eligible for CRDP or CRSC).
  6. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Regular Member

7. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Regular Member

You may want to hang onto that money for awhile until DFAS and you get squared away.

nwlivewire
    joshgo likes this.
  8. joshgo

Yes, that's good advice and what I'm doing. They later told me that they may take it out of my account all at once or deduct it from my future VA compensation checks until it's paid back...