New Navy PRT Instruction and PEB Process

Discussion in 'Informal Physical Evaluation Board' started by tprice9, Apr 6, 2012.

1. tprice9

tprice9 PEB Forum Regular Member

I am a new member that just found this sight and I have tried to research this question before asking it as a repeat, but it applies to the new Navy PRT instruction which now states that if you have two waivers in row, you will automatically be sent to a PEB. I just left my PCM and he said if I miss these two upcoming PRT's, I will be admin sep'd not PEB'd or MED'd. Can I just be admin sep'd for missing two PRT's? Wouldn't they have to look at my condition on a PEB or MEB? I have Degenerative disk disease on my L4, L5, and S1 with bulging disks from an injury on the flight deck. Also, how can the PEB just look at your rating, I am an AZ so they think I just push paper, but in fact I was night check supervisor of the line shack for 3 years and got my injury while FDC'ing on the flight deck. Thanks to any one who responds!

2. boobootex

boobootex PEB Forum Regular Member

Look at the instruction, they have to refer you for three prt waivers in i 4 year period but if you have prt failures that is different. Again i am not an expert but that is my understanding. Also, check with your command prt coordinator.

3. alibs

alibs PEB Forum Veteran

Yes, new PFA (Jul 2011) instructions says, you get waived 2 in a row (or 3 in a 4 year period), you shall be sent to medical for a MEB. (NOT PEB, MEB is done locally and if you are unfit, MEB sends to PEB (IPEB then FPEB).

4. tprice9

alibs,

That's how i read it as well. I knew my PCM wasn't up to date on the new instruction. So if your found fit by the board, you just miss all the PRT's and finish out your time?

5. boobootex

boobootex PEB Forum Regular Member

You have to read what the findings would. that would give you direction. They would look at what is causing you not to take the prt. then they would come back, say example your fit with these limitations. Example my old cheif was on PLD status, he was able to stay in and he just had to get waivers for prt because his condition didn't change. Like i said i am not he expert. what region are you in. Also i would talk to bay leagl. if you need the number to balboa legal pm me.

6. tprice9

Boobootex,

Sending you PM

7. tprice9

Has anyone else been put on medboard for missing two prt's yet?

8. NAV LDO

NAV LDO PEB Forum Regular Member

I've been referred to an MEB for getting a waiver for curlups for the 1st time due to a civilian surgeon that wrote up a "lifetime" restriction for sit-ups becasue the assumption is there that I will miss further PFA cycles. I don't feel that this is correct, but not sure I can stop it.

9. tprice9

So your getting the board since the waiver automatically waives your from the 2nd PRT. Can you do your normal duties at work? Pass sea duty screening?

10. NAV LDO

NAV LDO PEB Forum Regular Member

Well, I had my appt today with Ortho and he disagrees with my PCM, thus he will NOT be starting a MEB on me. I'll just do the sit-ups next PFA as to not "trigger" the process. I'll just have to be careful and do the minimum to pass, I guess. Not a big fan of this automatic "trigger"...me being able to do 30 or so sit-ups has ZILCH to do with my job, not to mention, this is an antiquated exercise. The Navy's been good about providing options for the Cardio portion...they need to invest in options for the Core strength. This is not an issue of my abs not being strong enough, this is an issue of the repetitive nature of folding my back up and down and how that may negatively impact the device that is implanted. How about crunches or planks, or some other form? All of those would be fine. Just the sit-ups may cause issues to the device. Ah well, doesn't make any difference trying to argue common sense when the military is involved, right!

But to answer your question, I have no idea if this would prohibit me from passing a Sea Duty screening, but that is why they have the screening. If I don't pass the screening and THEN I was to MEB'd, that would make a bit more sense to me...at that time, I'm fair game; but because a Dr. suggests I not do sit-ups is, IMO, not a valid reason to MEB a person, especially if they do not provide an alternate exercise that tests the same "strength", just in a different way.

11. tprice9

Agreed!