No separation pay for failed PFT?

tracy2014

PEB Forum Veteran
I am going to send an email to Secretary Stanley and Secetary Campbell about this. Something is not right when a military member has anemia, low iron, sleep apnea amongst other conditons and they get admin sep because they cannot perform well on a PT test.

Mike
I'm not very knowledgeable about anyone in that position but I thank you from the bottom of my heart, that you would attempt to let someone know about this. I really feel like this information has been hidden by our command and IF maybe other people heard of this then they might be able to help us. Or even extend our sep date. I mean, seriously, who can move and find a job and complete TAP in less than 30 days? It's just wrong on all counts.

Thank you so much Mike. I really really appreciate your efforts.

tracy2014

PEB Forum Veteran
http://www.defense.gov/bios/biographydetail.aspx?biographyid=245

http://www.defense.gov/bios/biographydetail.aspx?biographyid=262

I essence, Secretary Stanley is the top poobah on personnel matters in DoD. Secretary Campbell works for Secretary Stanley and is the poobah on wounded warrior matters. See bios above.

When does your husband hit 18 years?

Mike
Oh wow! He should roll over in March if I have my calculations right. The retirement date he was given was April 1, 2014....so I am assuming that would make him turn over in March. His prior Marine Corp and Reserve time (prior to being a Navy Chap) makes his LES say 21 but I know that does not apply toward his retirement date.

tracy2014

PEB Forum Veteran
I'm not sure that any one can stop this but I know we would even appreciate a 60 - 90 day notice as to transition to the civilian world a little easier than 30 day notice.

shaugnmiller

PEB Forum Veteran
We go today to meet with our base LT. Lawyer and I am trying to get every bit of questions in line for him. We have worked with this guy for a short part of this year and I just don't have faith that he knows all the ins and outs of things. ugh!

There was another LT here last year that helped us by requesting a BOI. That came out bad (Recommend Separate but should have medical look at him). Then we had a informal PEB and of course they declared him FIT.

Every single person that knows this case is in shock that they would not medically retire my husband. Although the conditions that he has can get better with treatment and medicines.

He has been on LIMDU two times for 6 months each. He has never been put on Permanent LIMDU and I wonder if he could be since there are task of his job that he can NO longer do...because of the triggers it causes his PTSD.

We are going to go to Medical and see if there is any way they will declare him Not Fit to Separate....but my husband's condition has improved over the last 3 months.

One thing that I keep hanging on to, is that everyone legally has to have a Medical clearance before they even do the PRT and if my husband would have had one then they would have seen he had high blood pressure and was not on medicine. My husband said there was a form he signed and then the doctor signed off on it, but no doctor examined him at all. He was in such a poor medical and mental health state when he signed that, I wish I could bark that he was in poor judgement to sing that.

Also, and I am just sounding off things here to see if anyone thinks of something that we could do, I am curious WHY the XO would not have sent my husband to medical after his 1st or 2nd failure? Also, when he failed his 3rd...why would the XO not request a MEB for my husband? Oh, I know why...because he could care LESS.
Wonder if I can press charges that this was not handled properly? Would the act of that put everything on hold at least?

Shouldn't my husband's command been there for him, instead of treating him like he had committed a felony and ostracizing him? Oh wait, this is the military though, right?

Sorry for my rambling. I am just venting and trying to get my thoughts together. And will appreciate any ideas anyone might think of.
Sounds like the NAVY isn't so dissimilar to the AF "way of business :-(

tracy2014

PEB Forum Veteran
Sounds like the NAVY isn't so dissimilar to the AF "way of business :-(

Yep, it's pretty sad isn't it?

It has been a rough 3 months. He ended up getting sep pay because his code was changed to GFT...that means that one of his failed pft's included one not meeting weight requirements.

We just received this DD-214 so we are just now able to start the VA process and get all of his medical issues looked at as far as claiming disabilities. Once he has a rating then we will look in to going to court to have things changed. He should have been medically retired. 17 years 6 months and 17 days of service, been unemployed with no pay since October 1st.

Now that we got the DD-214 we can complete the unemployment process.

Isn't it crazy? No benefits and No unemployment until we got the DD-214 and it takes the lovely Navy 2 and a half months to get it to us. geez!! (ok, vent over)

Wade Carr

Registered Member
My husband, an officer, with almost at 18 years failed 3 PFTs and he is getting separated. Several people have said that my husband will get half of his separation pay but I just saw this new order....would this be specific for enlisted or officer, or does it matter?

there are codes in it that I don't know. I do know that his separation papers do say honorable discharge with code GFT

NAVADMIN: NEW POLICY REGARDING INVOLUNTARY SEPARATION PAY FOR PHYSICAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT FAILURE

2 January, 2011 (22:11) | NAVADMIN | By: admin
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
TO NAVADMIN
NAVADMIN 420/10
SUBJ/NEW POLICY REGARDING INVOLUNTARY SEPARATION PAY FOR PHYSICAL
FITNESS ASSESSMENT FAILURE//
REF/A/DOC/DUSD(MPP)/29NOV10//
REF/B/DOC/OPNAV/20DEC05//
NARR/REF A IS MEMORANDUM FROM DUSD(MPP) REGARDING SEPARATION PROGRAM
DESIGNATOR (SPD) CODES.
REF B IS OPNAVINST 1900.4, SEPARATION PAY FOR INVOLUNTARY SEPARATION
FROM ACTIVE DUTY.//
RMKS/1. EFFECTIVE 1 JANUARY 2011, IN COMPLIANCE WITH REF A, MEMBERS
SEPARATED FOR FAILURE TO PASS THE PHYSICAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT (PFA)
SHALL BE ASSIGNED A SEPARATION PROGRAM DESIGNATOR (SPD) CODE ENDING IN
EITHER “FT” OR “CR.”

2. IF A MEMBER IS BEING SEPARATED SOLELY FOR FAILING THE PHYSICAL
READINESS TEST (PRT) PORTION OF THE PFA AND HAS PASSED THE BODY
COMPOSITION ASSESSMENT (BCA) PORTION IN EACH OF THE FAILED CYCLES, THEY
SHALL BE ASSIGNED AN SPD CODE ENDING IN “FT” (PHYSICAL STANDARDS) AND
WILL NO LONGER BE AUTHORIZED INVOLUNTARY SEPARATION PAY (ISP).
3. IF A MEMBER FAILS TO PASS THE BCA PORTION OF THE PFA IN ANY OF THE
FAILED CYCLES, THEY SHALL BE ASSIGNED AN SPD CODE ENDING IN “CR” (WEIGHT
CONTROL) AND MAY RECEIVE ONE HALF ISP. THE SAILOR MUST BE ELIGIBLE IN
ALL OTHER RESPECTS INCLUDING THE REQUIREMENT TO SERVE IN EITHER THE
SELECTED RESERVE OR INDIVIDUAL READY RESERVE COMPONENTS IN ORDER TO
RECEIVE ISP.
4. THIS PROVISON WILL NOT BE USED TO SEPARATE MEMBERS WHO MEET THE
CRITERIA FOR SEPARATION UNDER OTHER, MORE APPROPRIATE PROVISIONS OF NAVY
SEPARATION POLICY. FOR EXAMPLE, A MEMBER WHO IS SEPARATED FOR WEIGHT
CONTROL AND IS ALSO INVOLVED IN MISCONDUCT OR UNSATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE
SHOULD BE SEPARATED FOR MISCONDUCT OR UNSATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE AND NOT
FOR WEIGHT CONTROL.
5. THIS GUIDANCE SUPERSEDES THE POLICY REGARDING THIS ISSUE IN REF B.
PERMANENT CHANGES TO REF B ARE FORTHCOMING.
6. POC IS LT GRANT SCHWEIKERT, N130C4 (703)614-5635, DSN/224, OR EMAIL
AT GRANT.SCHWEIKERT(AT)NAVY.MIL.
7. RELEASED BY VADM MARK FERGUSON, N1.//
BT
NNNN

If you care to know more about our desperate situation....My husband failed these test and immediately after he failed the third one I got him to medical. He was diagnosed with severe depression, High blood pressure, severe anemia, and surprisingly PTSD.
You would think that would be a light bulb moment for our command to say "Ahh, that is why he failed them" but nope. We have had to fight and fight for a year and a half to have a BOI and then a Medical Board. My husband has all of these conditions and is on 5 medications a day, has been in and out of mental health but yet the Medical Board came back "FIT FOR ACTIVE DUTY" Therefore the command released the dagger and we got separation orders...Effective in 30 Days. Hows that for telling a man with over 17 years thank you for your service? If you did read all of this, Thank you.
Can anyone tell me since I have 19 years 8 months by the end of the PRT cycle which is Dec 15th will I be admin separated for BCA failure? If I fail the BCA it will be my third and I am in a LIMDU status 105. I would have a little less then 90 days left till retirement and I have second fleet reserve message in hand with official reserve date. Really scares me to know because I have gotten injured doing my Navy Job and had to have surgery that they would screw me over with just a stone throw away of time left.

Wade Carr

Registered Member
No separation pay for 3 failed PFT?

What conditions does he have?

mike
Hey Mike,
I am in a 105 status (LIMDU). I have a sacriolitis joint problem caused by my injury onboard the ship and I have had steroid injections in the right and left joint. I am going to a chiropractor within a couple of days and they have already scheduled me for a second set of injections. The end of the fall PFA is December 15th therefore new cycle starts Jan 1. By that time I will have 3 months left in the Navy till retirement. I have recieved my second Fleet Reserve message with an official date of 31 Mar 2013 for retirement date. I failed my last BCA due to injuries and I was even on a limdu status then. Can I get Admin Separated with less then 3 months till retirement. Racking my brain here and it seems that no one can give me a defienite answer. Thanks Wade