PEB Code V1, V2, V3, V4 /

Discussion in 'Informal Physical Evaluation Board' started by Travelerusa40, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Travelerusa40

Travelerusa40 PEB Forum Veteran

Thank you so much. I have been told some many different things even by my MEB JAG. This is the most accuratre and detailed definition of the V Codes.

Chris Conn likes this.
  2. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Benevolent Leader Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

Sounds to me like this is the reason you have the diagnosis, the unfit finding, and the rating. The remaining issue is the combat related nature of the PTSD.

Without knowing all of the details, my best estimation is that the lack of a statement or details about the combat related nature is the root of the problem. I do understand that you may not want to relive or discuss any of the circumstances that are your stressors. Under VA rules, this is likely not a problem (and hence the rating and diagnosis). However, under DoD rules, I think this is the issue. I am not saying this is right, legal, or should be required of you. But, it seems to me that this is the problem and may work to deny you rightful compensation and tax benefits if you do not provide information about your stressor. Easiest (in terms of accomplishment, not necessarily in terms of how it impacts you or causes you additional distress) is to provide details about the stressor(s). However, in the absence of that, you may be able to appeal. I don't know that this will be successful, though. Unfortunately, you are in a very difficult position from what I can tell.

I hope all goes your way.

3. Travelerusa40

How do I prove Combat Related? I have no source documentation for the events except my orders that I was assinged to a SF Mission and only my statement (which can not be in detail) and the VA diagnosis and their Syc Evaluation findings that "an Event did take place that impact me". What are your thoughts? Should I just should not leave it alone?

4. Chris Conn

Chris Conn PEB Forum Regular Member

I'm guessing you are still in, and received either your DA199, the PEB's unfit memo to the VA requesting proposed ratings, or the VA's proposed ratings packet?

If you are already out maybe applying for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) would help your case for proving it was combat related.

Again this is according to DFAS's CRSC, so this square peg might not quite fit into the round hole if you are trying to prove to the Army while you're still in that the condition is combat related, but this is what DFAS suggests will prove a condition is combat related:

"Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
    • Armed Conflict
    • Hazardous Duty
    • An Instrumentality of War
    • Simulated War
    • Retirement orders
    • 20-year letter or statement of service (for reservists)
    • Relevant pages in your VA or service medical record
    • VA ratings
    • Purple Heart award citations
    • Retirement Form DD214"
    here are the links
    http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html
    http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/applyforcrsc.html

5. A99

A99 PEB Forum Veteran

As I read this, if V1/V3 states "yes" on the DA199 then are saying injury did happen in combat and therefore a result of it? Thanks!!

6. eagleone

eagleone PEB Forum Veteran

Yeap. No means "Not related."

7. PSYOP Warrior

PSYOP Warrior PEB Forum Veteran

I'm so confused. I was blown up 3 times - 1 LOC, spent time in the hospital before being flown home to WTB, and then received 2 Purple Hearts and CAB - meaning happened in combat. So I read the file that is sent for ratings and the V Codes and all say that none of it was combat related compared to the PDF file from the ombudsman that someone posted here. Someone please advise.

1. The Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) found (My Name), (SSN), physically unfit to continue military service for the following PEB referred unfitting conditions:

a. Cervical spine strain with herniated cervical disc and subjective radiculopathy (MEB Dx 1) (V1-Yes; V3-Yes; V4-Yes)
    b. Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) (MEB Dx 2) (V1-Yes; V3-Yes; V4-Yes)
    c. Migraine without aura (MEB Dx 3) (V1-Yes; V3-Yes; V4-Yes)

2. Please provide a disability rating percentage (with rationale) to this PEB Administration for all referred and claimed conditions.

8. eagleone

"yes" is good. There is no confusion. Yes = Combat related. The PDF is a typist's guidence. It is poorly written. The typical bubba is combat-related "No" and they wrote the PDF for the typical bubba.

9. PSYOP Warrior

PSYOP Warrior PEB Forum Veteran

thanks for the clarification. It is very poorly written and highly unacurate. I sent it to my PEBLO and asked why are all my unfitting conditions all non combat related and she said, "the pdf is crap and having all "yes" for your V's is good b/c it means combat related injury. Having "no" means it was done state side, not in combat, or in a combat zone and like tripping over a rock and injuring yourself b/c someones PT Belt blinded you." So that .PDF needs to be taken down and a new one put up that actually makes sense. Thanks eagleone for the double clarification.

mikeh7172 likes this.
  10. eagleone

The PDF clearifies the question "What does V1,V2... mean?" It just screws up the answer...

11. Travelerusa40

Jason, my DA 199 stated PTSD V-4 and VA rated it 100% purposed. I am also 100% DoD. However, when I got my retirement orders it Stated "Disability resulted from a combat related injury as defiend in 26 USC 104: "NO". Should this be "YES"? I have been retired since June of 2013 and receiving retired pay but is has not been tax free.

Should I contacat the Army Personnel Branch who published my orders and tell them to correct so DFAS can back pay me for not taxing the tax out? Any thoughts?

12. mikeh7172

mikeh7172 PEB Forum Regular Member

Damn PT belt blindedness will get you every time :) Thank God I was attached to the Marines at Leatherneck, PT belts were outlawed there.

13. mikeh7172

mikeh7172 PEB Forum Regular Member

Oh yeah and thanks for this thread it answered almost all my questions. I pretty much got screwed with one of my conditions then. It was aggravated in a Combat zone from enemy acitons but they said the onset was in '94 during PT. They pretty much threw out any of my current doctors notes and I'm still wating for a Neurosurgeon referral. At Least 3 of my 13 conditions were all Yes's.