Place of Retirement

Discussion in 'Air Force Info' started by joshgo, Nov 6, 2010.

1. joshgo

joshgo PEB Forum Veteran

So I’ve searched around and can’t find an answer anywhere on here. Hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

I’m expecting retirement and will probably fight for it if I get less than 30%. When I started my board, I filled out a questionnaire. One thing it asked was “IF YOU ARE FOUND UNFIT FOR FURTHER MILITARY SERVICE, DO YOU WISH TO RETURN TO CONUS FOR RETIREMENT OR DISCHARGE?” I wrote unsure at the time and didn’t think much about it.

So, my wife is pregnant with a due date in March. Hopefully I will be out of the DES by then, but I know it might take longer, so I may try to return CONUS for the birth. Has anyone else gone through this before?

1. I’m thinking this is different than the PCS home or awaiting orders programs, right?
    2. What is the process and requirements I need to meet?

The AFI says that this choice may limit future entitlements:
    3. What are the consequences of going CONUS for retirement/separation rather than staying OCONUS?
    4. What are the benefits other than getting back stateside sooner?

Thanks!

2. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Benevolent Leader Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

I think this has to do with giving them advance notice of how to draft your orders after an unfit finding. For questions like this, if you really want to know the travel entitlements (which are different from any of the questions about internal administration of them) you should look at DOD Financial Management Regulations (DODFMR) or, in some cases, the Joint Federal Travel Regulation.

3. joshgo

joshgo PEB Forum Veteran

Jason,

Thanks for the links! It seems what I am thinking of is listed as “Travel to Processing Station of Choice.” Once the PEB determines an unfit finding, I would PCS to a CONUS station close to home for out processing. It doesn’t seem like the entitlements are any different. Of course I wouldn’t get overseas COLA, but I don’t mind. The main thing for me is that I’m trying to get my family closer to friends and family for the birth. I am concerned about being able to appeal a decision from the IPEB if I do this though and I don’t see anything written about that.

If anyone has any experience with this program please let me know how it went.

4. poisonpanik

poisonpanik PEB Forum Veteran

USAF has stopped sending people CONUS for their final out for retirement. If you are retired you will do all your processing at your current location. I asked about the PCS Home Awaiting Orders and was told this is only done is very rare situations and only if the member is already in CONUS. If you want your wife to go CONUS for birth then you will most likely have to request an early return of dependents. The catch is that once she departs she is no longer command sponsored and it is highly unlikely the command will sponsor her again. You will have to make a very appealing case as the ERD is mostly used for divorce and dependents who are in trouble. I attempted to get an ERD for my wife but it got rejected. I was told that we would basically have to show financial hardship if she didn't depart.

When did your MEB start? Mine took 19 months from start to finish. I appealed all the way up to SAFPC and just got my answer last week after waiting 10 months.

5. joshgo

joshgo PEB Forum Veteran

Oh well. Thanks for the info. I'll just have to hope everything goes smooth. I thought about an early return but not sure if I want her going alone. If she did, I know she can fly space-a unaccompanied and I would just lose my COLA if she's gone more than 30 days (not that big of a deal though). Just not sure if she HAS to be back here to be on my orders and therefore get the full house hold goods weight allowance.

Might have a case for financial hardship though. My last 2 checks were only $500 because I was an idiot and didn't keep an eye on my BAH...doh

My basic timeline is in my signature. Basically it's only been at the IPEB for 4 weeks as of this past Friday. So if I hear from the IPEB Monday (high hopes, I know), I should be ok.

By the way the docs here said if she wants to go home (which they did agree with since it's high risk) she needs to leave at the begining of December because they don't want her to fly too late in the pregnancy.