Punishment during PEB/MEB

Discussion in 'Physical Evaluation Board System Overview' started by SevereDiplopia, Jul 21, 2010.

1. SevereDiplopia

SevereDiplopia PEB Forum Regular Member

I am currently undergoing an MEB it is going to go to the board next wednesday. I also Just recently got in trouble and receieved an article 15 and am on extra duty and lost a stripe. This incident occured after the MEB was initiated.

I am being threatened with a general discharge because of the article 15 what happens if they attempt to do this before my MEB/PEB are finished? Is it possible for them to kick me out without doing the medical process first?
  2. murphy

murphy PEB Forum Regular Member

Severe,

It all has to do with what you got the AR15 for. As a basis that terminology is always used during counseling statements and AR15's. I have seen some pretty serious AR15's before and they kept the soldier in even after threatning to discharge them.

Only way that happends is if the command really pushes it but like I said I have yet to see that but in only one case, and that guy was a serious F UP.

Hope this helps. If you are really that worried about it, you could always just talk about it your commander based on the fact of open door policy.

Murph.
  3. SevereDiplopia

It was for disrespect to a SNCO and failure to obey an order. It was the first time I have even been in trouble short of an LOC.
  4. murphy

murphy PEB Forum Regular Member

You should be fine then. Look at it this way. You basically have to do some really stupid stuff for them to recommend it. Like I said, disrespect to a SNCO/failure to an order is a crap in the bucket compared to some other things that go on.
  5. jlm

jlm PEB Forum Regular Member

Take the punishment and if you're worried, than you should be. Like Murphy said, they will likely not pursue a chapter, but they can. Unlike Murphy, I have seen plenty of troops put out of the Army. Your attitude and performance are key. If you decide that you are going through a separation process and you're gonna do what you want, you'll likely find yourself on the receiving end of an admin discharge.

Your best bet is to do the right thing, right place, right time, right uniform and don't give anyone any reason to think you deserve more punishment.

Just out of curiosity, what are your conditions?
  6. SevereDiplopia

I am being boarded for my double vision due to a muscle condition in my eyes
    My other conditions on my narsum but I dont think included in the rating process are
    Depression
    Upper airway resistance w/ cpap machine
    flat feet w/ orthotics
    migraines

I am taking about 6 different medications daily to include topomax to try and control the migraines and other daily headaches from the vision problems.
  7. jlm

jlm PEB Forum Regular Member

Right or wrong, appearance and impressions play a big role in interactions, especially in the military. Even though your double vision is documented, your boss and peers at work can't tell just by looking at you. Unfortunately, some supervisors get it in their heads that all joes with a profile are trying to play the system.

Again, the best thing you can do, is keep your stuff straight. Don't give anyone an excuse to say you are playing the system.

If they are going to attempt an admin separation, it involves multiple steps and doesn't happen overnight. You will be notified and then given the opportunity to seek counsel from TDS during the process. If all that fails, you can go to IG.

Murphy recommended the commander's open door policy. Don't forget about your First Sergeant as well. Just remember that "Open Door Policy" doesn't mean you walk right in to his/her office. You still need to let your supervisors know and schedule a time.
  8. carnelli53

carnelli53 Moderator Staff Member

I think jlm hit the nail on the head - don't alienate yourself from your peers and supervisors if you can prevent it. Maintain your military bearing and act as if you are not pending any type of medical discharge. Remember, you're still serving in the military up until the day after your terminal leave. If things become nasty between you and your unit, your outprocessing can become very difficult - along with many other things that should be easy (assuming you are medically retired/separated).