Queston regarding concurrent receipt under 20 years

Discussion in 'Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP)' started by dashfan9, Aug 10, 2011.

1. dashfan9

dashfan9 PEB Forum Veteran

The short of it: In the "decision phase" according to my VA eBenefits profile. My claim was submitted from the PEB to the VA DRAS-Seattle on 11 July 2011. From there, the VA call center said it would take 30 days. Monday, I spoke with probably the only helpful person I've ever spoken to at 1-800-VA. He told me my ratings were waiting final approval. However, what he DIDN'T TELL ME [​IMG] was what was in the computer what they generate my ratings letter from. I'm NOT [​IMG] looking at the following service connected conditions:

Thoracolumbar spondylosis/degenerative disk disease - 40%
    Neck strain - 10%
    Tinnitus - 10%
    Partial leg parethesia - 10%
    Toe arthritis - 0%
    Finger deformity (dislocated, never healed completely straight) - 0%
    Knees - 0%
    a few other 0%'s service connected

I have no issues with any of the above ratings. All I wanted when I first sought treatment was to service connect everything...now all I really care about is keeping Tricare. The PEB is looking at the thoracolumbar spondlyosis/DDD. 40% would put me on PDRL. What I'm wondering is how I should/how they calculate the concurrent receipt if my back injuries are not deemed eligible for combat related special compensation. I understand that there is a dollar-for-dollar reduction, but I'm lost after that.

I hit 8 years in about 2 weeks. Army PDRL should be (roughly) $1136/mo before taxes (quick 36 month average x 40%)
    VA math puts 40% plus 3 10% at 60%. 60% for a veteran with a spouse and one child is $1129/mo, less than Army retirement.

I have tried to figure this out, but all I could find is the phase-in examples for veterans over 20 years and 50% or more disabled. So what will my take home be (before taxes/deductions) and what would the tax implications be? Also, for the number of children, only children living with me count, am I correct? Or will the VA count my son who lives with his mom (I don't have him more than 50% of the year, so I'm assuming he doesn't count in the VA's eyes)?

I apologize for the long post, and appreciate any help.

Zeke

P.S. I just realized I typo'd the title and forgot the "i" in question. Wow. Lol.

2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

Dear dashfan9:

As far as I understand it, CRDP is when you DO have a 20-year letter.

Servicemembers who have less than 20 years can apply for CRSC - Combat Related Special Compensation.

DFAS has upgraded their website. The new web address for their CRSC calculator is:

https://ca.dtic.mil/dfas/estimator/Calculator.htm

This calculator only works for those who have LESS than 20 years of creditable service towards retirement, i.e., no 20 year letter.

The big assumption here is that the Servicemember has gone through the MEB/PEB process, has been awarded a combat/combat related disability rating from this process, has been coded 10a/c on that DA 199 form, and has made application for CRSC through their respective branch of service (CRSC is NOT automatic – you must apply to your branch of service).

You may be shocked at how little you MAY or MAY NOT subsequently be awarded for your CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation).

Try this out dashfan9.
    It gives you a grand monthly total and then breaks it down as to who pays what - VA/MIL/CRSC.

3. dashfan9

nwlivewire -

Unfortunately I was unable to access the dtic website. The link seems to have been changed. If you can provide an updated link, it would be appreciated.

I did find the following excel worksheet that seems to be very well made - http://davebarker-amvets.info/CRSC_Calc.xls however, I am unsure whether it applies to me as I'm trying to run the scenario assuming I am not entitled to CRSC. I'm not banking on receiving CRSC, though I will apply for it for my spine injury. I was aware that since I don't have 20 in that I won't be eligible for CRDP - I guess the biggest thing is, I know the military and the VA cannot pay for the same disability (unless qualified under CRSC). I'm assuming I am way off base here, but will I receive 40% retirement from the Army and only the difference between 40% and 60% from the VA, since the VA will also compensate for the tinnitus, loss of feeling in my leg, and neck strain (I know the Army will only compensate for what makes me medically disqualified for continued service)? Or am I way wrong.

VA/Gubmint math stinks.

Thanks again for all the help, kind sir.

4. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

5. dashfan9

Worked perfectly. Thank you again for all the help.

6. maparker

maparker Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

The 10c combat related code only applies to the military retirement/separation pay. If combat related, then the disability retirement/separation pay is tax free. For CRSC, one can be retired for a non combat related disability and still get CRSC if the VA compensates them for something that is combat related. Assuming retirement, once you get your VA ratings, then apply for CRSC with your service. Your service CRSC office will determine if anything being compensated by the VA is combat related and how much CRSC will be.

My DES Outrage # 8 has a breakdown of CRSC calculations and issues. PEB Forum Home - DES Outrage of the Week # 8 - DoD's CRSC Calculation Glitch

Mike

7. dashfan9

Sir,

Thank you for the reply. I have browsed through your DES Outrage series in the past. I never know whether or not I should be surprised at some of these things.

According to the calculator provided, my monthly VA benefit would be a little over $1,100 (no CRSC factored in). We spoke previously about one PEBLO saying the Army can "bargain" with the VA's rating for MEB-considered conditions here: http://www.pebforum.com/f30/conflicting-information-peblos-army-vs-va-ratings-27257/

My final question (for now) is, assuming I am 40% disabled and the calculator shows no military retirement pay and only VA disability payments, I should still receive retirement benefits, correct? i.e. retiree ID card, Tricare, etc

I appreciate all of the assistance, Sir - you, Jason, and everyone else on this board makes it a lot easier to plan for life after the military. I will be going back to pre-medicine (and hopefully medical school), so every little bit of stress I can rid myself now will help in the long run.

Sincerely,

Zeke

8. maparker

maparker Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

Yes, if retired you get retirement benefits like tricare regardless of the amount of VA offset.

Mike