Ratings are the same for DoD and VA

Discussion in 'Conditions and Ratings' started by #readytogetout, Jul 26, 2013.

1. #readytogetout

#readytogetout New Member

Received my ratings for my meb and my ratings are the same for both the DoD and the VA which is rated at %. I am unsure as to who I will be receiving my pay from will it be army or va? also what does the 90% mean as far as the pay on DoD side?
  2. ranger2992

ranger2992 Super Moderator Staff Member

On the DOD side that means you will get 75% of your base pay. The reason for this is the maximum DOD will pay for retirement is 75%. As far as who will pay you, it will depend on different factors. First, by law you are not allowed to collect both (see later comment). So you will get whichever pays the highest amount. Seems simple, but it is not quite that easy. If your VA compensation is more than your DOD (75% of your base pay), then the VA pay will offset (replace) all of your DOD pay. If your DOD is more than your VA compensation, you will get paid all of your VA, and then DOD will pay you the difference between your VA pay and your DOD pay.

Scenario one: VA compensation is more than DOD pay

DOD pay = $1500
    VA Comp = $2000
    You will be paid by the VA for a total of $2000 per month

Scenario two: DOD pay is more than VA compensation.

DOD pay = $2000
    VA Comp = $1500
    Difference = $500
    VA will pay you $1500 and then DOD will pay you $500 so your total equals the $2000 total.

Now I told you earlier to see my comment earlier on the fact you can't collect both. There is a way you can do this and it is called CRSC. With that, you will have all some of of your DOD pay restored. I not gonna go into detail on CRSC as that is another subject, for another time. Plus you can research it a bit.
    #readytogetout likes this.
  3. #readytogetout

#readytogetout New Member

Thank you so much for this info it clears a whole lot up for me.