Separation Orders After signing off on FPEB findings....

Discussion in 'Formal Physical Evaluation Board' started by usaf316, Mar 18, 2011.

1. usaf316

usaf316 PEB Forum Regular Member

I just got my FPEB results back with bad news (10% Severance for Crohns Disease).

How long does it take to get separation orders from AFPC? I requested an April Separation date. I signed my paperwork on 18 March.

Thank you!

2. mangelsfam

mangelsfam PEB Forum Regular Member

Sorry I can't answer your question and on the the bad news. Looks like I'm in the same situation only that I'm in the beginning phase. Any information you could share regarding the severity of your case would be helpful. I was diagnosed December 2010 and they are currently working on finding a stable medicinal regimen. The only reference I have on the separation orders is from someone in our office who got the final decision from the FPEB on 16 Feb 11 and got there orders about two weeks ago.

3. ceilingfan

ceilingfan PEB Forum Veteran

The way it worked at my installation was about a week or so after I received my PEB findings/results I was scheduled to meet with a Retirement Officer at the installation Transition Office. Then it was another two weeks before I received my retirement orders. I would suspect you will probably receive your orders from the Transition office as well...it just won't be from a retirement officer. Also I would think it should be two or three weeks before you receive orders. But that is merely a guess. Did you ask how long it would take when you signed your paperwork?

4. usaf316

Severity wise... My case is really weird. I took a really nasty hit to the abdominal area playing Flag Football back in December 2007. Went to the hospital that night after losing a lot of blood (bathroom). After three years of tests, procedures (and even a deployment!), I finally got diagnosed with Crohn's in September. I have been on Entocort while stationed in Guam which worked well. When I arrived at Keesler, I originally was given Lialda by an off-base provider, but when I went back on base, the Gastro at Keesler gave me Humira, which is also working. Now the crazy part is that it is not Crohn's that is kicking me out, but the dam medication they have me on. My doctors have not been cooperative on changing med's for me even with my career on the line. I also know a member in the AF in the same career field as I am with the disease, just not medicated.

The AF is changing and changing real fast... If you have a cold, be prepared to go in front of a board!

Where are you stationed out of?

5. usaf316

Dont know how much different Army is from AF, but 2 days after my FPEB, I was called into my Lawyer's office and got the news... 10% w/severance; no go on being RTD. When I went back to the front office, the civilian that gave me the paperwork to fill out said it is usually around 90 days after getting your separation orders when you will be out. Never really said anything on how long it took to get the orders.

My situation though is a little different. I requested an earlier separation date (April 2011). Age is a big issue for me since I am an Air Traffic Controller and 31 is the cutoff for hiring. I can work with this disease & with the medication that I am on. I am just curious and hoping that these orders come down quick so I have time for PTDY & Terminal leave...

6. mangelsfam

Thanks for the information. It was only after I got diagnosed in December that I realized what all the flare ups were in the past. I went in to have a lipoma checked and long story short - nothing related to the lipoma but found out I have Crohn's. Now I'm stuck with Crohn's and the lipoma. I'm currently station at Peterson which is not a bad place to face a MEB. I'm thinking the medication could also be a problem for me -I was on Entocort but reacted badly to it. Now they are trying Methotrexate. From your post it looks like there could be a possibility of RTD if not severe and off medication? But from all have heard the Air Force is not very lenient and 10% is usually the way they go.

7. usaf316

If you re not on flying status, and the medication you are on wont ground you from deployment, you would have a great case for an RTD. The 10% w/severance is the going rate though for this disease...

8. mangelsfam

I should find out this week regarding the RILO - that should at least give me some direction on how they are thinking.