SSDI and AD ARMY PAY

Discussion in 'Other Benefits' started by nwlivewire, Jun 18, 2010.

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

Dear Expert:

I was on another website that promotes itself as an accurate wealth of knowledge for SSDI/SSI questions. Wasn't impressed and I know I did not get accurate info.

So here's my questions:

1. If approved for SSDI, can I collect BOTH SSDI and my AD Army pay at the same time (I am in the Wounded Warrior Program - CB-WTU - and getting ready to go to the meb/peb).

2. If approved for SSDI, SSA will owe me back pay and retro pay. Will I be able to collect those monies right away? Or, will I have to wait until I complete my meb/peb/discharge to get those monies, too?

3. IF approved for SSDI, and I get to collect right away, how long does it take to begin to receive these monies of a monthly and retro?

4. Is there any advantage in notifying the Army of an SSDI award PRIOR to the kick-off of the meb? if so, who would I notify?

Thank-you for your response in advance.

v/r,
    nwlivewire

2. OneFavor

OneFavor PEB Forum Veteran

Let me state first that I was a national guard member. I was approved for social security 2 years before I was discharged. The back pay was fairly quick once it was approved. They finished paying the back pay within 90 days. I was also approved for INCAP pay from the military, and I was allowed to keep both the SSDI and the INCAP. I went in to social security and they explained that as long as I didn't physically work, I could keep the incap pay and it would not adversely affect the monies I was receiving. I hope this helps

3. Jason Perry

Jason Perry Benevolent Leader Site Founder Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

4. nwlivewire

Thank-you all respondants - both on this thread and through private message. Your information is very helpful and gives me an idea of what to expect.

keeping my fingers crossed that the Judge will rule in my favor next month. Got a good attny for this SSDI thing, so am hopeful.

Thanks again!
    v/r,
    nwlivewirre

5. nwlivewire

UPDATE: SSDI HEARING & MEB/PEB QUESTION

Hello All!

Today, I went to my appointed time and place for the SSDI court hearing. Initially applied for SSDI OCT 08, denied twice, and now in Court today.

Had a lawyer present to represent me before the SSDI Judge.

Hearing lasted no more than 45 minutes.

Present in the courtroom:

Judge
    Court Reporter
    Occupational Rehab Expert
    My Lawyer
    Myself

Judge asked me questions involving self care, living arrangments, and other impacts.

My lawyer asked me questions about some of my injuries, how acquired and impacts in daily living - and pain and medication levels.

The Judge asked the Occupational Rehab Expert questions about what type of jobs I had done in the last 15 years, their physical demand ratings (all heavy construction work) and what kind of work could I still do, using my case situation as a hypothetical. He named two jobs - laundry folder and personnel clerk.

Then the Judge asked him - of those two jobs, could I still perform those jobs if my injuries were on my dominant side with limited use (he said NO to BOTH jobs).

Judge asked if I had anything to say. I thanked her for her time and for hearing my case out.

Court let out and my attorney told me to go back to the waiting room and she would be right out in a minute (she had to pack up all the files and papers she brought to court and put them back in her luggage/roller briefcase).

Lawyer talked to me in the waiting room and said she thought the hearing went well. With all the medical issues I have, not counting the psych issues - and combined with the two jobs I might be able to do that got thrown out of consideration - and my age - well, my lawyer said it seemed to her that I will be awarded SSDI. Lawyer seemed pretty confident of a favorable outcome.

I will get an official letter from SSA in 6-8 weeks letting me know the Judge's decision - up or down.

Keeping fingers crossed that my lawyer's take on the hearing is accurate. Benefits would be retroactive back to OCT/NOV 07.

If awarded SSDI, I will be in receivership of SSDI benefits PRIOR to MEB/PEB.

QUESTION: Does receiving SSDI have any impact at all on MEB/PEB rating decisions? All injuries stated in SSDI court are military-related injuries.

Thank-you one and all for all the help I have so far received from this web site! I would not have come this far nor known what to do without all of you. I am a greatfull Soldier.

This site, AND the members and moderators who give so much of their time and information here, have literally been my lifeline! Thank-you again!

Jason, if I get SSDI, I will have enough money put together to retain you for my MEB/PEB process. Hope you like the Pacific Northwest because my process will be at Fort Lewis (pilot program - joint VA/DOD process).

v/r,
    nwlivewire

6. nwlivewire

UPDATE:

Today I called the SSDI Adjudication Office where I had my hearing with the SSDI judge on July 27, 2010.
    I asked if they could tell me what happened about my case? Did the Judge approve or disapprove my SSDI?
    I said i had not received anything in the mail from them.

The secretary said they could not tell me anything about my case because I had an attorney represent me before the Judge. I was told to call my attorney office and find out from them. The only thing the secretary could tell me was that my case was "closed" (whatever that means).

So I called my attorney's office and they said they have not received anything from the court yet. I told them I just got off the phone with the SSDI Office and was told my case had been "closed". My attorney's office said they would get back to me in a couple of days.

So then I called back to the SSDI Hearing Office and told them that neither my attorney nor myself has received anything in writing from the court. The secretary said she would contact the Clerk of the Court and have the information forwarded to me and my attorney's office.

Glad I called the SSDI office. I guess the Clerk of the Court department FORGOT to send us notification letters.

Maybe I'll know something this week.

GEEZ! Seems like you have to stay on top of everyone all the time anymore. What's up with people NOT doing their damned jobs in a minimal way?

more to be revealed.......

nwlivewire

7. nwlivewire

Well......

I GOT APPROVED FOR SSDI TODAY. NOTICE CAME IN THE MAIL.

MONEY DEPOSITED IN BANK FROM TREASURY DEPARTMENT TODAY.

RETRO CHECK IS FOR THREE YEARS.

WHEW!

One down - two to go (VA/MEB).

OK Jason. Now i can hire you!

nwlivewire

8. VAJumper

VAJumper PEB Forum Veteran

That makes two of us...it is a great relief...sorry you had to go through the court process though.

9. nwlivewire

Hi VA Jumper!

Yeah. I had to go through the court system because my regional SSI offices were not aware of the Wounded Warrior expedited process. However, once i had to hire a lawyer for the SSDI court hearing, they did get my case on the docket 1 1/2 years sooner than scheduled (about a two year wait for a court date in my region).

Total time elasped from start to finish: 1 year 10 months.

I also found out that because I am still drawing Army pay under the Wounded Warrior Program, I'm still paying into Social Security and having SSI taxes withheld. The SSI lady told me over the phone that my SSDI will get recomputed twice each year (MAR/OCT) and my benefit amount will increase appropriately until I am no longer on Active Army Wounded Warrior payroll.

Sounds too good to be true. Hope she knows what she's talking about. That will sure help later on.

Now comes my turn to the MEB/PEB and the VA joint process at Ft. Lewis.

Gotta hire another lawyer! lol

v/r,
    nwlivewire

10. VAJumper

VAJumper PEB Forum Veteran

Yes it's true. Mine have already been recomputed once.