Still waiting on MEB

Discussion in 'Reserve Component Discussion' started by bobo31313, May 2, 2009.

1. bobo31313

bobo31313 PEB Forum Veteran

That is not correct. I am M-Day, but my disqualifying conditions are from my deployment to Iraq. Reserve Component and National Guard soldiers who have LOD's (Duty Related) from a mobilization are sent through Active Duty MEB/PEB process.

Camp Mabry is only responsible for assisting me in putting my packet together and making sure that all of the info is there for the MEB. Then depending on where you live in TX it goes to Fort Sam Houston or Fort Hood. Because of where I live mine will go to Fort Hood. Once at Fort Hood I will be assigned a PEBLO.
  2. SFC Bond

SFC Bond PEB Forum Regular Member

Ok, I read back and see that your are here in the Texas Army National Guard. Be prepared AUSTIN lost my packet for the last 1 1/2 years. Bunch of 1D10T's working there. :p

Call SSG. Hillary Smith at 512-743-5659.
    He took care of my problems within a few days and got the ball rolling.
    He is waiting to get out on a medical also but he knows who to talk to that will get things done.
    He helped another soldier in my unit to get out.
    Tell him I told you to call him.

Good luck.

SFC Michael Bond
  3. bobo31313

My congressman is already involved in the process, and my packet sat in the state surgeons office for a few months. It has now moved to health services and they are just waiting for me to get everything together. Basically i just need my CO to sign a few documents, which will happen next weekend. Then its off to the MEB.

I completely agree with your ID10T statement. Its unfortunate that the 75% of AGR who do not do their job undermine all of the hard work of the 25% that do their job and take pride in it.

The job performance I have seen so far is unacceptable. If i had of performed my job to those standards while I was in Iraq I probaly would have gotten my whole platoon killed.
  4. SFC Bond

Mr Womack is my Peblo there at Ft. Hood. His # is 254-553-2467.

The Building is located at 36010 Darnell Loop.
    Ft. Hood, Texas 76544-4752
    Office # 254-288-8355 or 8357

I would call 254-288-8355 and ask if they have you in their system yet.
    I got tired of being jerked around by Austin and called them myself and found out that Austin sent my packet to the wrong address. The they never even check the certified mail receipt to see if Ft. Hood got it.
    After 1 1/2 years I did what I had to do.
    If it doesn't benefit Austin personnel , you get put on the back burner.

I know I been in for over 27 years.
  5. bobo31313

Thanks for the info.

I will definetly call Fort Hood once I get everything to Health Services. I have become a pain in their @$$ so far, it finally feels like they are tired of dealing with me so thats their motivation to do their job.

Have you actually had your MEB yet?
    If so what is the process?
  6. SFC Bond

One more phone # to call.

254-287-9409 - Vicky Cook MEB Attorney. Call her and get with her when you get a copy of your packet.

I spoke to her 2 days ago and found out that I should have met with them before I signed off on my MEB packet before it was sent to the PEB.
  7. SFC Bond

Yes I have had the MEB physical and MEB Decision. Waiting on the PEB. Once that is done and I concur or not it goes to MEDCOM up in DC for their final approval.

1. Your Peblo should make contact with you or thru Health Services in Austin.

2 Gather up all of your medical records, mil and civilian.

3. Go to Ft. Hood, Meet your PEBLO. and go through Part 1 and Part 2 of the physical (2 Days)

4. You will need to schedule a ACAP Briefing. 254-288-2227
    Once you have completed the briefing you will be given a stamped document saying you went through it. Return a copy to your PEBLO that day.

5. Once all the paper work and documents are in then and only then the PEBLO sends it up to the MEB for their review.

Once your in go to AKO, if you can get in, tghen to MY MEDICAL then MY MEB/PEB Home. there you can track you stuff.
    michael.bond@us.army.mil
  8. bobo31313

Thanks for the Info.

I have all of my medical records from civilian, VA and mlitary, so nothing to worry about there.

How long did it take a PEBLO to contact you after they finally received your packet?
    How long have you been waiting on the PEB?
    Did you get orders and lodging for your time at Fort Hood?
  9. SFC Bond

Once I found out that Austin still had my my packet. I contacted SSG Hillary Smith who personally hand carried it to my PEBLO at Ft. Hood.
    He gave me his name and number and I made the call to my PEBLO.
    I went on 2 FEB 09 to see my PEBLO and have Part 1 & 2 of the physical done all in one day.

Like you, I had to get my new unit commander to fill out his paper work. I had to locate every single active duty order covering the dates when my injuries where first notated.

If you don't have them contact Records Department at Camp Mabry 512-782-5001 and ask for records. There is a guy named James that helped me out on 1 order that I didn't have the back page to.

You must have front and back pages of all of your NCOER's, active duty orders with the signature block signed.

My packet should be at Ft. Sam Houston at the PEB. I was told at would be 7 -10 days for their decision now my PEBLO says 3 to 4 weeks.
    My unit cut the orders for me to travel to Ft. Hood. Once you get a PEBLO assigned give him your units info. UIC, address, POC and ph, fax #s.
    My unit screwed up and didn't process my 1351-2 for my Feb trip which came out of my own pocket. I've been to Hood twice and paid TDY once.

At the hotel make sure you have a copy of your travel orders so you don't have to pay taxes. Get a tax exempt form from your unit. Also, do you have a DOD Sticker? Try and get one put on before you head off there. Ft. Hood is a b!tch to get in during PT mornings. Watch for the MP's.
    Directions. Once you come thru the main gate stay in your left lane. Turn at the very first red light. You will see Darnell Hosp on the left. Stay in your left lane and turn left at the light that is located on the western side of the hospital. The parking lot is on the left side after you pass a stop sign. The Building is right there on the right side of the parking lot.

Here is some info to read up on.

Section 1646 of the 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) -- " Enhancement of Disability Severance Pay for Members of the Armed Forces" -- contains changes to disability severance effective January 28, 2008.
    Years of service is used in the calculation of disability severance pay, however underthe new law, instead of using actual years of service, there will be a minimum number of years that will be used. Whatever the actual number of years of service, the years of service used for the calculation will be at least six years in the case of a member separated for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone or incurred during the performance of duty in combat-related operations; or three years in the case of any other member. For example, a member with two years of service who incurred a disability in line of duty in a combat zone would have the calculation based on six years of service.
    There is also a new maximum for number of years of service to use in the disability severance pay calculation. Instead of using a maximum of 12 years, a maximum of 19 years of service will be used.
    Previously, disability severance pay was always deducted from any compensation administered by the VA for the same disability to which the former member or dependents became entitled (except for death compensation to which dependents become entitled after the member's death). Now, no deduction will be made in the case of disability severance pay received by a member for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone, or incurred during performance of duty in combat-related operations. As was done previously, no deduction is made from any death compensation to which a member's dependents become entitled after the member's death.
  10. bobo31313

SFC Bond,

I have read up on the way the pay works and I am aware of CRSC( concurrent receipt of VA and DOD benefits).

I know that if I do get a Chapter 61 retirement that I will qualify for CRSC since my LOD says everything is combat related.

My concern is that even though by law the PDES is supposed to use the VA rating schedule that I wont end up with same ratings I currently have from the VA. I guess that would be grounds for an appeal.

Do you currently have a rating from the VA?
    If you do, do you think that is going to help you out?
  11. confusedARNGvet

confusedARNGvet PEB Forum Regular Member

Bobo,
    Make sure your discharge says the following if you want crsc It needs to say this per the regs and law.

Retirement under the type of separation and the narrative reason for separation should say Permanent Medical Retirement Also left the military under laws 1201
    Michael
  12. bobo31313

My MEB packet was sent to Fort Hood on June 9th.

I have already contacted the JAG office that works with soldiers going through the MEB/PEB process and am going to meet with someone when I go down to Fort Hood for medical evaluations for my NARSUM. Just waiting to hear back from the PEBLO's at Fort Hood to find out when I have to go down there.

Its amazing how 2 months to get something done turns into 1 week after the State Surgeons office receives a congressional inquiry.

Has anybody been through this process before with a VA rating prior to the MEB/PEB and does that effect the outcome at all?

I am just wondering if I will receive the same rating from the Army as I did from the VA. I have 10% for my knees, my profile wont even allow me to do the alternate pt test, so thats unfit for service. And 30% PTSD, my GAF score is 42, which is unfit for service.
  13. bobo31313

In my previous post I said my MEB packet was sent to Fort Hood, well it was, but to the wrong address.

The PEBLO I talked with at Fort Hood said he had given the address for his office to my case manager in the National Guard Health services office, but they somehow seemed to mess it up again.

It was sent a second time by UPS and was still sent to the wrong address, but the PEBLO at Fort Hood was able to track it down for me.

SFC Bond you werent kidding about Health Services sending stuff to the wrong place.

The PEBLO who handles Guard and Reserve cases said he would contact me on friday to set up my appointments at Hood. So Hopefully my next posts will be in the MEB forum.
  14. bobo31313

I finally got the dates for my MEB physical appointments at Fort Hood, July 28th - 31st.

One more step in the forward direction, but who knows how long it will take to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  15. bobo31313

I had my appointments for my MEB physicals at Fort Hood on July 30th. However I was only evaluated for my knees and back. I was informed by my PEBLO that it could be up to 3 months before I can get an appointment to get evaluated by an Army psychiatrist. I am not mad about that, its just frustrating to have to wait even longer.

I did meet with a JAG lawyer at Fort Hood and he gave me the rundown of the MEB/PEB process, but I felt like I knew most of it from what I have learned from this site. When he found out that I was in the Texas Army National Guard he said it seems like it takes an act of congress for you guys to get this far. I thought that was pretty funny, since it did in my case.

Just waiting on the appointment with the psychiatrist to get my MEB phyiscal wrapped up to move to the next phase.

I was suprised with the way I was treated by the medical staff at Fort Hood. I felt like the docotor was actually listening and beleiving what I had to say and how I felt physically. Where as in the National Guard it seems like if you have a problem everybody treats you like you are a dirtbag/reject trying to get out of something. At least that has been my experience.
  16. robs42

robs42 Moderator

if it's gonna take that long you should see if they can referr you out to an outside doc or even the VA
  17. bobo31313

I asked my PEBLO if that was possible and he said no. I already submitted a phone book size stack of my mental health records from the VA as part of my packet.

The mental health info that I submitted as part of my records were from the VA, civilian psychiatrists, and from the one and only "Practicing" Psychiatrist in the Texas Army National Guard(I dont think the three sentences she wrote on a piece of printer paper carried much weight).

I have been trying to find out if there is a regulation out there that says I am allowed to be evaluated someplace else, but have not been able to find anything; either at the VA or by a military psychiatrist(any branch) at another installation.

If anybody knows of a way that I could get this done your advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.