Time frame for VA disability pay via IDES

Discussion in 'Transition Issues' started by theoot, Apr 4, 2012.

1. theoot

theoot PEB Forum Veteran

So I'm in the single digits now, and I'm wondering how long the time frame is for persons to get their first VA check after their medical retirement date. I'm being placed on TDRL on the 28th of May, and I've been found 80% by the VA for the IDES process. So is there anything else I need to do to help things along? I go on terminal next Monday and move to Illinois the following Monday, so anything I can do help the process the better. Also, ebenifits still shows me in the VA post decision process, but not finalized.

2. gunmate1

gunmate1 PEB Forum Veteran

i dont think you can start anything until you turn in your dd214 to the VA rep.

3. gavinpedrick

gavinpedrick PEB Forum Veteran

You Don't get paid till the end of every month. So if you retire or ets lets say May 1st you won't get anything till June 1st

4. NDBravehart84

NDBravehart84 PEB Forum Veteran

Yes but his point was DD-214.......... how much terminal leave are you taking ?

5. strongarmywife

strongarmywife PEB Forum Regular Member

I'd like to know this answer as well. My husband's date is May 28 as well. I was told July 1 we would get it when we were transitioning out. Then someone else today tried to tell me it might not kick in automatically and it could be quite the waiting process. I thought the whole point of the IDES was to eliminate that problem. HELP!

6. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

Up here at Ft. Lewis (Waller Hall), I was told by the VA reps to fax them a copy of my DD214 and the VA Deposit Form for automatic pay into my bank account.

I did this the very first day I was officially PDRL'ed and a civilian.

I too, went on terminal leave before discharge (30 days). I was discharged mid-month (APR 2012).

But the VA guys wanted my paperwork (DD214/VA Deposit Form) the first day of my civilian status.

The VA Rep up at Waller Hall said they forward those documents to the Seattle VA Office, where those people do the final OK on the "Proposed" VA rating you got during the IDES process, and then send your stuff forward for payment processing.

I was told it would take 45-60 days, so not to expect any money until at least JUNE at the minimum. I'm hoping for JULY at the maximum.

v/r,
    nwlivewire

7. Jessica D.

Jessica D. PEB Forum Veteran

I was just wondering this same thing as well. So, from what I've read so far, I can expect (or should prepare for) a couple of months without pay?

8. nwlivewire

In my situation, I was discharged mid-APR.

The very next day after discharge, I faxed my DD 214 to the VA Rep who handled the VA portion of my IDES process.

He said 45-60 days before I see any VA money as my packet gets a final review for accuracy.

Once that is done, the VA and DFAS have to share finance information in order for these two agencies to know how much each one will be paying me each month after retirement. I don't have 20 years AD time, so I have the off-set between the VA and the military.

DFAS sent me a letter last weeks, three weeks after discharge. They at least know how much my retirement is as their letter shows my total monthly amount to the penny - just as I had calculated it.

It also said DFAS has a projected payment date for JUNE. They are set to pay me my full amount until the VA gets their finances communicated with DFAS. Then, I assume those two will then split up my retirement dollars between them - but I should still end up with the same total amount as what came on the DFAS letter.

The total amount will be the same as per DFAS letter. But the VA will pay me the bulk of that figure (tax-free), and the military will pay the difference (taxable).

So, for me, it appears that I MAY be paid in 45 days after discharge from DFAS (JUNE), and 75 days for the VA (JULY). Just the opposite of what the VA Rep told me. hahaha!

nwlivewire

9. Rindaishere

Rindaishere PEB Forum Regular Member

My MEB retirement date was 28 March 2012, and I went through the IDES process. It is now nearing July and I still have yet to receive anything from the VA side of the house, and my proposed VA rating was 100%. Not cool!

10. nwlivewire

Same here, too! I rec'd a "proposed" VA rating of 100% - unemployable - SEP 2011 - and retired Mid-APR 2012.

Called the 1-800 VA number again last week, and they still do not have any new info in their computer system from Seattle.

I have not rec'd anything in my mailbox from the VA, either. Been discharged on PDRL since mid- APR.

BUT - I have rec'd my FULLY taxable 70% PDRL from DFAS. That came right on time and to the penny!

So currently, I'm receiving my full retirement from DFAS - but it is ALL taxable to Fed and State.

No VA tax-free compensation yet, and so no DFAS/DoD and VA offset is happening.

In other words, instead of 82% of my total disability retirement coming to me as TAX-FREE, I'm at 100% TAXABLE /0% Tax-Free.

I have no idea HOW DFAS is going to get back the excess money they have paid me - how they get that back from the VA - since with the offset I am suppossed to have, it hasn't kicked in - and DFAS has been paying me in full and the VA hasn't come on line yet and paid me anything yet.

I wonder if I'm going to get a "recoupment" letter from DFAS at some point for all the money they are paying me NOW as I wait for the VA to come on-line.

Meanwhile, I'm being 100% taxed on my disability income when I should only be taxed on 18% of my disability income. (I did redo my exemptions with DFAS as I thought this VA money would be late. I changed my exemptions from single/0 to married/6). This helps some for now.

On an aside.... DFAS did finally pay me for all the years I never rec'd my annual clothing allowance dollars while on AD. That check was tax free - not considered wages. I had to submit an inquiry on that and DFAS saw I never got that clothing allowance money and finally paid me.

And, I did receive my pay for the 59.5 days of leave I sold back. I was told at time of out-processing, that I could not push forward my TRANSPOC drop-dead date for retirement leaving of service discharge date. But even with DFAS married/6 for exemptions, I still got taxed 25% by the FEDS and 8% by my state (lost 33% to taxes) when I rec'd my sale-of-leave money.

Beats me why this takes the time it takes to coordinate. VA issued thier "proposed" rating on me last SEP. But apparently, VA CAN'T even begin to start their finalization of this "proposed" rating until after discharge.

Let me know if you hear anything from VA/DFAS on your situation and I'll do the same.

v/r,
    nwlivewire

11. Trevis Kelley

Trevis Kelley PEB Forum Veteran

Just a question, anyone know how long it will take for those of us not medically retired? I am facing not receiving anything (especially if this takes a long time), even though I am 80% disabled by the VA (rated 0% by the Air Force... long story there). I cannot do any of the jobs I am/was qualified for and have no idea what I would do if it took them 3 or 4 months to give me a disability check! I am getting worried because my DOS (just found out today) is 28 September.

12. AFWXGUY

AFWXGUY PEB Forum Regular Member

As far as how long it takes for nonretirement cases, I am not sure. But I did wnat to let you know that there are options for you. First, I would get in contact with a wounded warrior representative if you have not already. Secondly, be sure to file for unemployment as soon as you can. Social Security Disibility is a good resource for you if you cannot work. I read something about beign able to file for that while you are still on active duty. I realize that leavign the military without knowing how you will pay bills is frightening. Just hang in there and pursue help from the many organizations that are available for disabled vetrans. GI Bill will also help you out with some funds if you wish to go to college. For example, the Post 9/11 can give you the BAH which is about a $1000 dollars depending on where you are going, Social Security Disibility could be around $1000 as well depending on how long you have been working. With 80% VA I would also recommend looking into IU which will give you about $3000 a month. Yes all of these things may take time, but if you can get started now it may alleviate the pain a bit. Don't lose hope and demand the help that you deserve. Good luck.

13. nwlivewire

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

March 2012 - out-processed from military with 70% military - proposed 100% VA

mid-APR 2012 - PDRL discharge

01 JUN 2012 - rec'd first full month 70% PRDL retirement check from DFAS (fully TAXABLE - No "combat/combat-related" PEB findings)
    NO VA YET

JULY 2012 - rec'd notification from DFAS that the VA compensation was coming - off-set "waiver" was kicking in 01 AUG 2012

01 AUG 2012 - rec'd VA money and PARTIAL PDRL as off-set kicked in from DFAS

Now, I receive a monthly GROSS total amount that is exactly the same as was my original 70% PDRL Gross monthly amount.
    But, since the VA has now kicked in, I GAIN more take-home income as the entire VA portion is NON-taxable.

In my situation, the VA compensation comprises about 75% of my total combined PDRL/VA monthly income.
    My PDRL comprises about 25% of my total PDRL/VA monthly income.

Therefore, I am federally taxed on only 25% of my monthly income, and that's only on what DFAS pays me every month on the PDRL portion.

So, although the before and after the PDRL/VA monthly combined pay amount has remained the same, I actually now receive a little bit more increase in my "take-home" pay as the VA non-taxable has kicked in.

About 10% more take-home pay for me - just enough to pay for those VSGLI life insurance premiums at maximum coverage and age.

V/r,
    nwlivewire

14. Trevis Kelley

Trevis Kelley PEB Forum Veteran

AFWXGUY,

I appreciate the response. I was denied SSDI because I am active duty (their words) and therefore gainfully employed. I will appeal once I am out. I plan on applying for IU and based on the way the VA rated me, with some fighting, I will probably be 100% anyway. It's just the first 3-4 months I am concerned about. I will be filing for unenployment, but since I own a house here that I will be trying to sell, I am basically going to have 2 house payments and something tells me that $1200/month won't cover that. I have some savings, but this is ridiculous. My PEBLO has told me the whole time that it will start right away so there won't be any break in pay. I saved as much as I could but it won't be enough. College (for the one I am going to) doesn't start back up again until Jan, so no go on getting money there. How did everyone else navigate through this situation? This seems like a giant hole that noone is talking about?

15. jeffb

jeffb PEB Forum Veteran

awsome info . im 70 percent dod tdrl and 100 percent va . retirement dat sep 27 . so i should recieve atleast my 70 percent dod until my 100 percent VA is kicking in ?

16. nwlivewire

yep - minus taxes.