VA Confusion

Discussion in 'Medical Evaluation Board' started by T-roy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. T-roy

T-roy PEB Forum Veteran

The VA told me they had all they needed, and was under final review. My C&P page went from Prep for decision to review of evidence. Is this the final review, or have they gone backwards?

2. Rodney Harp

Rodney Harp PEB Forum Veteran

That is exactly what mine did yesterday. I was upset. Then this morning it moved to case closed. Happy ending... I hope it is the same for you. There is nothing worse than seeing that status go the wrong direction.

3. T-roy

T-roy PEB Forum Veteran

Brother I was looking for an 'easy out' when I saw it. Thanks Rodney

4. Scott

Scott PEB Forum Veteran

This has happened to quite a few people in these threads this past weekend after they did some updates to fix the website. I am thinking it might be some sort of glitch at least i hope so.

T-roy likes this.
  5. usafaviator

usafaviator PEB Forum Veteran

Yep. Happened to me as well, and I'm all the way through the process and waiting for 16 Nov to start terminal for a 29 Jan 13 retirement date. This has happened to my several times over the past year, and I have to agree that (for most) it is probably a glitch. One way that I'm 99% sure in my case is that the VA doesn't do anything else with your case between the time that they send the proposed ratings and the day you actually separate. Then, when you are out, they finalize your ratings....which is where they may review their original proposed numbers and modify them.

6. smacinnes40

smacinnes40 PEB Forum Veteran

I just checked ebenefits too, and now it went from complete to gathering evidence, does anyone know why that would happen. My packet was already sent from VA to the PEB to type out my 199 for review. This makes no sense, someone enlighten me as to what is going on with ebenefits. I even got a copy from VA with my proposed ratings. Is the PEB trying reject what VA is saying?

7. smacinnes40

smacinnes40 PEB Forum Veteran

here is what my ebenefits show under the status.

Change of Status: We determined that your claim needed additional review. If additional evidence is needed from you, you will receive a letter from us explaining what is needed.

can they do that after the va aleady made both dod and va proposed ratings 30% DOD 100% VA

8. GoWings

GoWings PEB Forum Veteran

I signed my proposed ratings yesterday and have a out date of January 31st but Ebenefits says that my evidence is past due. So I don't know what they are doing with that site.

9. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

I concur with usaviator. I got my "Proposed" ratings - but nothing really changed until after I DISCHARGED.

After you submit a copy of your Member 4 page of your DD214 to the VA through your MSC VA rep, he/she forwards that copy to the VA section that does the "finalization" on the "proposed" ratings you were given while in the IDES process.

Then, in about 3-4 months after discharge and submitting a copy of your DD 214, you get your "final" notice of ratings - which can be several pages as the VA breaks down each condition, explains how they arrived at the percentage for that condition, inclues a list of VA benefits you may be entitled to, and so on. Mine was 22 pages.

In my case, I was still awarded the same overall percentage of disability, but they did change two things.

One change was that my "proposed" ratings were given an individual unemployable designation. That was changed in the "final" to simply 100% Permanent and Total.

The other change was that there were 4 conditions that were each initially rated at 0 % - service connected. But on the final, the VA took those 4 conditions and re-opened them up for more evaluation.

I was still awarded 100% as I had plenty of issues that added up to 100% without those 4 0% conditions anyway. It's just now I have an open claim pending on those other 4 conditions that were originally given a 0%, and the VA told me to expect some further exams on those in the future.

BTW, the VA went quickly and I received my first VA electronic check in my bank account 3 1/2 - 4 months after discharge.

V/r,
    nwlivewire

10. Scott

Scott PEB Forum Veteran

All you guys are giving me hope that when it went from preparing for decision to gahtering evidence that it may only be a big glitch. Thank you for at least giving me hope again.

11. T-roy

T-roy PEB Forum Veteran

Amen Scott! Thanks to all who put their two cents in. It sure helps!!!!

12. Rodney Harp

FYI. I leanered that once the claim is closed at VA it still has to go to someone at the VA to receive an authorization before it is sent back to the PEB. You cannot see that on ebenefits but the PEB people can see that. That is where mine is right now waiting on someone named April to do what she does. So do not think that because it is closed that it is immeadiately sent to the PEB for them to start writing up a 199. The painful slow process will end someday, so there is always hope. It just takes a whole lot of patience and a whole lot of followup on our part.

13. grizz13

grizz13 PEB Forum Veteran

Your VA ratings can go up or down after every exam you do with the VA for the rest of your life. It may have been found that there was missing info off of one of your claims and want to ensure it was correct. It sometimes happens when SMs are in the rating phase of the PEB.

T-roy likes this.
  14. Rodney Harp

I received my Summary Decision from the VA in the mail yesterday. This is surprising. I was under the impression it would be sent to the PEB before I would get it. Silly me. Well maybe Tuesday someone will start writing that 199 up. By the way and I am not going to appeal it right now. But there were are lot of inaccurate statements in that summary. One was that I turned down treatment for TBI at St Louis Regional Medical. Never been there in my life. But it was enough to reject the claim for TBI.

T-roy likes this.