Was told found fit for duty from TRDL

Discussion in 'Formal Physical Evaluation Board' started by jhopkins76, May 19, 2012.

1. jhopkins76

jhopkins76 PEB Forum Regular Member

So my hubby has been told that he has been found fit for duty and that we are just waiting on the paperwork from the PEB board. He has been off all of his meds since Dec of 2010 and has not seen the VA except for physicals since then either. He went for his re-eval appointments in Oct of 2011 and we still have not gotten his paperwork. We have gotten our WTU ombudsman involved and we found out that Ivan Walk had told the TDRL division that they no longer had any past cases sitting on their desks all the cases were new ones that were full med boards. They had caught up all of the guys that were placed on TDRL before 2010. Well after some investingating they found my hubby's file sitting on a guys desk 45 days after his appointments. Well now that things have finally gotten moving we are at another stand still because now they are saying that my hubby had to be transferred into the new system which put him at the bottom of the list which the ombudsman and his AW2 caseworker both said is not supposed to happen any military member placed on TDRL before 2010 is supposed to have priority since they have been waiting to get their results for so long. Well now his paperwork has been at the PEB board since March 17th we have now been waiting for 60 days and have not gotten anything. We are still getting the same answers from the lady when we call to get updates saying that the computer is saying fit for duty. Ivan Walk is saying fit for duty our own med board that looked it over is saying fit for duty. So we have went one step farther and contacted our senator (yeah nothing might not get done) but its worth a shot. We got a letter from his office asking for us last week to sign a privacy release so he could have his office look into the issue. I am hoping that something happens. Re-evals are not supposed to take a full year. If anyone has any advice on how to get any answers I would greatly take all help.

2. NDBravehart84

NDBravehart84 PEB Forum Veteran

WoW... I don't quite know how to respond...... Is your husband LEGACY? Is he REALLY "FIT FOR DUTY"? Is he trying to return to active duty? By new system are you refering to IDES?
    Can you disclose more intel..... What's his VA rating? What was his TDRL rating? What do you want as a result...... FIT FOR DUTY?

How much active duty does he have and is he trying to return so he can retire?

I know we would all like to help if we have more information and understand what end result you are looking for...... ;)

3. jhopkins76

Yes my husband is a Legacy and yes he is really fit for duty he is lifting weights he is running 2 miles several times a week along with the walks I have told you about. On top of that we have been doing all of the traveling to all of the theme parks that we never had time to go to when he was deploying all the time, so no trouble with his PTSD there. I guess the new system I am referring to is IDES all I know is that we were told that they sent his packet in paper form by Ivan Walk and they said they got it back and and were told to send it electroniclly. His VA rating and your going to laugh at this was 10% and his TDRL rating was 70%. We want a fit for duty result because he wants to return to service because he was only in for 7.5 years and wants to finish out till his retirement. At the time of his TDRL placement he was healing from a back surgery but the doctor that did the surgery and did the re-eval both said that if he would not have any limitations on what he can do. His only issue right now is he is still taking the weight he gained from all the meds he was on while he was healing and he is currently 2% over retention standards but we are working on that and by the time we get his paperwork that should be a nonissue. So any help we can get would be great we are going on 7 months with no answers on one re-eval for a person that has been off any treatment since 2010.

4. pittpan2005

pittpan2005 PEB Forum Veteran

Who are you contacting for updates? I am curious because I was told TDRL results arrive via mail and go directly to service member.
    Also, I understand his desire to reenter service. You mentioned he is 2% over right now. Take this extra time and make sure he is under. With the military downsizing it's just another excuse to prevent him from reentering. A really bad deal would be to be found fit, but unable to reenlist because of weight.......lose benefits and career!!!

5. usafaviator

usafaviator PEB Forum Veteran

you have said that he is Legacy and IDES? was he originally under Legacy, then merged into IDES? That is kind of like what happend to me.

6. pittpan2005

How did that happen or what do you mean by merged into IDES?

7. usafaviator

I was originally Legacy, found fit with a fast track MEB, had a couple of RILO's, and then (Feb 2012) determined that I need to MEB again because my conditions worsened. My PEBLO briefed me in under the IDES system this time.

8. pittpan2005

Got it....thanks. I think the original poster's issue is that he was Legacy and placed on TDRL. Then when he was re-evaluated and found fit for duty, they(DoD) are claiming it's taking longer because he was/is being integrated into the new IDES system. I am curious how this plays out because if separated under Legacy you are supposed to stay Legacy. Just like if separated under IDES must stay in IDES and supposed to be re-evaluated by the VA.

9. usafaviator

I agree, sounds like what I was told is happening lately. Not sure if the integration is in the regs, or just the way they decided to start doing it. I'd be interested to know as well.

10. NDBravehart84

NDBravehart84 PEB Forum Veteran

Yep.... they get some new case worker that only know IDES and.... BAM..... they make there own rules........ :mad:

11. jhopkins76

Well I wanted to update everyone he was taped today and is at standards but he is still training really hard. We also now have a congressional inquiry started after we contacted Carl Levin since our home of record is Michigan. It has now been going on for a week and the hubby is upstairs right now talking to his aide getting more info that she hopes will help speed up the process because she said this was an open shut case from the documents they have on him. So now we are back in a waiting pattern thank god for the gym it has become my hubby new favorite place to go instead of losing his temper with the people here at Knox.

12. usafaviator

Now that is making lemonade out of lemons! I know it is hard to stay positive during this whole process, but it sounds like you both have a good outlet now.

13. jhopkins76

Well after contacting our senator his packet has made it to the Adjudication Process, but they said the only small problem they see in the road is the VA just got around to adjusting his percentage and raised it from 10% to 30%. The gentleman that spoke to us today said that we should not worry, but I am not sure how long this is going to take they said that it should only no more then 25 days but it could take less. Oh and the 2 people that were supposed to be handling my husband's case at IWA are no longer employed there. Both my husband and myself are on thinking this is going to be the longest 25 days of our lives waiting for this paperwork to come.

14. jhopkins76

So my husband just got his results back and even though we had been told by our case worker at Ivan Walk that things had been coming in as a fit for duty finding the board gave him a 0% rating for his PTSD and nothing for any of his other stuff and it was still and unfit for duty finding of that makes any since at all. So, after taking a deep breathe we found out how to start the process to do the formal hearing because after asking 101 questions today with his case manager it was explained that this finding was them saying he is fine they just right now do not like to take guys with a history of PTSD. So does anyone know how long it takes to get a formal hearing at the PEB board.

15. pittpan2005

I have a contact for you at PEB if need it. She is the TDRL PEB liaison.