WTU Soldier-- Social security benefits

Discussion in 'Army Warrior Transition Units' started by kn1080, Jan 14, 2010.

1. kn1080

kn1080 PEB Forum Veteran

I am an army WTU soldier. I recently found out we're able to recieve Social Security benefits while in WT status. The state of Rhode Island has been denying people left and right for benefits. Does anyone think its a good idea to retain an attorney before even applying to assure that everything goes smoothly?
  2. OneFavor

OneFavor PEB Forum Veteran

Not necessarily, but you can. For most part social security will usually deny you, when that happens appeal the decision. Do not reapply, but appeal there is a huge difference. I applied through the wounded warriors part of social security, which is suppose to give you a decision a little faster, of course there are those that fall through the cracks. Be prepared, make sure you have a copy of all of your medical documentation, names & addresses of those providing your medical care, even statements from your employer/unit/ famliy to tell how your disability impacts you. Social security wants to see that the disability will affect you or has affected you for at least a year. I was injured in 08 and applied in April 09, got approval in Oct 09. Each story is different, each state is different. Having an attorney the first time does not guarantee anything.
  3. nlaw37

nlaw37 PEB Forum Veteran

My social worker told me today that it's weird because it seems like once the Social Security Administration sees an attorney, they grant it. This doesn't mean you NEED to get one, because he also told me that the SSA has been granting more and more vets/warriors that benefit. So, it's not exactly a science, but odds are favoring acceptance for Social Security (so I've heard). He told me usually they deny soldiers the first time to make sure they aren't fooling anyone, kind of like a filter for those who are faking and undeserving, I guess.

I wish you luck, and go with your gut. It's a 50-50 shot in my opinion. Let us know how you make out.

Nick
  4. Shellback

Shellback PEB Forum Regular Member

I'm in WTU and am getting Social Security disability. I didn't qualify for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) because I'm earning to much money from the Army. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/d&s1.htm explains the two types.

I applied online at that site, waited awhile, and was contacted by phone by local SSA employees. They did everything over the phone with me and I believe they did really rush me through. They were sympathetic, professional and got me some benefits so I never had a problem with them. I spent nearly an hour online answering questions in the Application (Its lengthy) and probably another hour or two on the phone answering questions. But in the end they came through for me on the disability.

I think it helps to be a detailed person and maintain good records and notes. My opinion of this is that they are Govt. Employees..... So if they don't get the info from you that they need or see errors in your application they're more liable to reject the claim then to spend the effort to pry it from you.

Don't get hung up if they reject you on SSI. The rules are clear that you have to have limited income (almost none) to get SSI and if you're in WTU you are getting an Army pay check every two weeks. Disability is a different story though.

Edit: The links got redirected back to this site. But anyway I pasted in the info so you can read it here. Follow the linked web address -----> http://www.socialsecurity.gov/d&s1.htm to find out more.
  5. wounded veteran

wounded veteran PEB Forum Regular Member

Shellback, I'm also in WTU applying for ssdi. What are your medical conditions that got you ssdi? your age? and how long at WTU?
    Thanks
  6. Shellback

Shellback PEB Forum Regular Member

I went through surgery August 2009 to remove the right upper lobe of my lung. I have an LOD from Iraq that says that the damage to my lungs is a LOD injury (I'm not a smoker - I believe it to burn pit related but that's debateable and very much 'In the News' right now. None the less I have the LOD)

I Started WTU October 2009 and am still going through the process. Just recently WTU determined that I am not retainable due to permanent Restrictive Airway Desease so now Im going though the board process and expect a medical retirement in 4 to 6 months. When they do get me out I will finally be able to return to my civilian job, more then two years from being activated. Until then the WTU wont let me go back to work while I'm on medical hold.

I'm 44 years old.

I applied for both SSI and Disability October 2009. I did it myself online at the site I linked below. The VA- Rep at the WTU in-processing was recommending that we all apply. The gal from SSA told me during the phone interviews that I would be denied SSI due to high income, to expect that denial letter for SSI, but indicated the disability would go through.

In December I got a confirmation letter that Disability payments would start February 2010 (I believe you have to be disabled for 6 months before those payments start and they were going from my surgery date not the date I entered WTU.)

SSA mails you a Password Request Code that you use to see your benefits and payments online. Mine are $1906 a month. The amount may be based on how much SS you've paid in over your working career. I can't remember, but I think that's right.

Anyway good luck to everyone working on this... We pay into this fund so its nice to get some of it back when you really need it.
  7. wounded veteran

wounded veteran PEB Forum Regular Member

Thanks and congratulations on your ssdi award
  8. samduds

samduds New Member

Im currently going through MEB. I should be out by FEB 2011 if I do not appeal. I have three bulging disc arthritis DDD in lower lumbar , both of my knees are giving out, both ankles are bad and i have general anxiety disorder. I just got denied SSI due to to much income. Any suggestions on what I should do. My file is at WTU its taking forever to get in there, out of a 200 score to get in I scored 320,,but here it seems like the only people getting in are the ones with broke fingers. .any advice on the SSI would be highly appreciated.
    U
  9. nwlivewire

nwlivewire PEB Forum Veteran

It's NOT SSI you need to apply for. It's SSDI you need to apply for.

Two different programs for different scenarios.

Your best bet is to read about these two different programs to see which one you would qualify for.

Go to the official government web site for Social Security and find SSDI. SSI is on there, too

There is an expedited form you can fill on-line there to get your SSDI application started.

There is a form there for Wounded Warriors that is suppossed to speed up the process,too.

AND, they answer tons of questions on that website, too.
  10. PtDraco

PtDraco PEB Forum Veteran

If you are in the WTU, go to the SS office in the SFAC. They have a cover letter that goes on you application for SSDI. I was approved in 45 days and was back dated to April of last year. (I was at BAMC in San Antonio and the SS lady was AWESOME!!)
  11. lupusladi

lupusladi PEB Forum Veteran

PtDrco
    Do you mind telling what you got ssdi for?
  12. PtDraco

@Lup....not at all. I have not been able to work due to grade 3 and 4 chondromalacia in my knees, psoriatic arthritis and DDD in my back.
  13. lupusladi

I applied and was denied I have Lupus, Fibro, migranes, hypersomnia, sleep apnea and thats just a few the SS system is so unpredictable....sigh
  14. Amygal82

Amygal82 PEB Forum Veteran

If you are active duty, your income does not count.
  15. lupusladi

It does if applying for SSI ( Social Security Supplemental Income) there is a cap of 2000. But with SSDI ( Social Security Disability Insurance) there is no income limitations for Active Duty military . Some ppl get it confused be sure you apply for SSDI and not SSI...
  16. PtDraco

/nod...I am drawing $2006 a month plus my active duty pay. I have over 28 items claimed for a VA claim, but for SS I only claimed those that do not let me work.

BTW...if you do get approved, there are tax liabilities (which is bullshit), but be aware.
  17. jbubbs

jbubbs New Member

@PtDraco I have the same back and knee issues as you....well, the same symptoms in both my back and right knee (They hold off on MRI's as long as possible to actually diagnose it as such, But I have read and have to the T the Signs and symptoms) I also have to have surgery on my Right Shoulder for a Distal Clavical resection and then scope and repair the Rotator Cuff in January. Can they fix or am I stuck with my knee and back issues? They submitted my paperwork for WTU this past week do my issues does this sound justifiable for WTU? I have been in the Army for 16 1/2 years so I want to finish and retire, unless I rate SSDI of course....PtDraco Do you know how much VA disibility you will get for those issues? and will you claim SSDI for life?

Everyone is welcome to answer and help me too! =) and if I do rate SSDI, is it long term? Just trying to figure out if Medical Retirement is Better than Regular and if my SSDI is long term, than Medical is better for me.......Thanks for the imput!