1st Post: 24yr Retierment plan now changed to a possible MEB

Dave JL

Registered Member
Let me start off by saying I had amazing leaders that brought me up. NCOs and Officers that were "Old School" leaders that would smoke in there office and max there PT every time. I wanted to be just like them, when you were broke you threw dirt on it and bragged about it. I soon learned that going to sick call and admitting you were broke was not an option. As soon as I became on NCO sick call days were over. From PLDC (SGT Primary Leaders Course) to BNCOC SSG /ANCOC SFC (Basic NCO Course, Advanced NCO Course) Drill Sergeant School and OCS I like most of my piers was dealing with pain or injuries in order to get to get to the next level of advancement. Now after almost 24yrs of serving I was knew I had no ability to be 100% any more.

So no shit there I was. I had an approved retirement date and upon visiting my PCM to begin my retirement physical and updating my medical records for my upcoming VSO appointment for my VA claims I was told that my profile for my bad shoulders (2 operations on my L. shoulder 2 operations on my R. shoulder) needed to be changed from a P2 to a P3 or P4. He stated that he was going to recommend an "MEB". I was very concerned and upset initially. I had plans of selling my home, starting a new job and moving my family, and now all that was going to change. I sat down with my clinics Patient Advocate who used to be a PEBLO, she stated that an MEB would extend my timeline of getting out but would ultimately find ALL the issues that have been effecting my daily life and make it so when I do transition out of the military both my retirement and VA benefits would be completed. The following are a list of my most painful issues:

- Plantar Fasciitis both feet (bone spur operations on both feet after Drill Sergeant School)
- L/R shoulder 4 operations total (limited motion pain at night, no ability to ware body armor and can not fire my M4)
- L3/L4/L5 compressed and bulge (Sciatic nerve pain down L. leg, no ability to run or walk without pain)
- L ankle operation ( Pain and weakness loss of balance)
- Current P2 no PU, No running, No body Armor

My questions are:
Will my 60% retirement that I was plaining on be effected?
Do I have enough issues to deem me Unfit for Duty?
I am a Logistic Officer 90A my current issues make it hard to sit for long periods of time. Painful to walk in any type of Army boot. Get into soft shoes as soon as I get home.

Appreciate any advise. Thank you all for your service and input on this forum.

Respectfully,
Dave JL

I had 25 years active when I was put in for an MEB and was rated 50% (DOD) but received my LOS retirement for close to 27 YOS, yes it took a while for my MEB. You will be evaluated and rated on all medical conditions by the VA. If you get rated say at 50% (DOD) for your conditions that initiated MEB and 90% (VA) for all conditions you would still receive at retirement your LOS retirement of 60%. You would also receive the VA rate for the 90% disability which is $1783.68 if you are single and $1932.68 if married. You would get CRDP since you have over 20 years active service. You may also qualify for CRSC for combat related injuries.

As mentioned above, it appears you will be eligible for CRDP which is the mechanism that allows concurrent receipt of VA compensation and military retired pay. CRDP, which is retired pay itself, cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. Additionally, it not an extra payment; it is distinctly visible only on page two of the DFAS RAS and is included in the gross pay on page one of the RAS.

CRSC, also mentioned above, replaces some or all of waived retired pay for approved combat related disabilities. It is nontaxable and results in a separate CRSC statement. In my case, all my retired pay became CRSC and I no longer receive a RAS...only a CRSC statement. However, there have been occasions when I chose CRSC and had residual retired pay too (because my CRSC approval was less than 100%). That resulted in a RAS plus a CRSC statement each month.

Generally, in cases such as yours, it is advisable to select CRSC only if the approved CRSC rate is the same as the VA compensation rate. If not, CRDP is the better choice for many.
One's individual tax situation/concerns can influence that choice.

Ron