After The PDBR

HAHA!!! Well the Physical Disability Agency sent my stuff over to my last duty station. Talked with a supervisor and she stated they would have it done by friday and would send it back to the PDA on friday....hopefully! Pushed back my retirement ceremony to next month. So we will see how things go one step at a time ;)!! But the great thing that happened is that i got a job.....with the VA. Should be interesting how all this comes out!
Congrats! Glad veterans are finally getting what is rightly deserved!

Mike316atl, I will tell you it takes time, patience, and making sure you have everything to give to the PDBR and then some! I was lucky and I say that because I will tell you there are MANY soldiers whom don't get second chances. Make the best of it, don't leave a stone unturned as far as documentation, especially from the time of separation to where you are now it will help your case. Always be nice to the ladies at the intake unit and also when you email the board. Lastly, don't expect anything but appreciate everything. I use that rule even now with my POC at my last duty station and POC's at Army disability agency. It goes a long way in getting things done as far as asking questions, even if it sounds stupid and understanding the process. Once you get this point having a scanner that creates the documents into a .pdf will save you especially like documents that were on the promotion list to be promoted, awards, etc etc. That is just scoop to remember. Good luck, have faith, and go fishing!!!!

Can I request a FOIA on what the PDBR has found so far? I got a letter on March 2 stating that the capturing of documentation is complete and it is being transferred to the Joint Central Adjudication Unit for formal consideration by the PDBR leading to a recommendation. My docket number is PD-2011-00537. Thanks

How far along am I so far?

Mike, you are just now beginning the boarding process. I would NOT do a FOIA as this will delay the process and there is isn't any information that can be given to you at this time. This is process where I would call the intake unit towards the end of each month for the first 90 to 120 days then call every two weeks after that! Based on my case alone it takes about a year to 15 months! So during this time go fishing, go to work, etc etc stay busy! I learned this the hard way with the VA! Live life during this time don't sit at home and dwell on this!!!

Commo -

That rocks! Good for you; you will be of great help to other vets!

Justrluk, the VA regional office in Houston go wayyyy back!!! But that was a long time ago and I was not stable at the time. I am a lot better now!! Yes, every once and I while I will stop concentrating and lose focus but it is a lot better than it use to be. Tai Chi helps the mind and soul!

As of Friday, I have Tricare standard for the entire family, setup in Deers (checked it 3 times....haha)! A deers representative called me and they have backdated everything back to July 19. 2003 as my official retirment date, got tricare going, called tricare and they are working on getting that updated back to November 18, 2003. So far everything is going well. I talked with my PDA POC and I should have my orders and DD-214/215 by monday or tuesday as there system was down. She will also send it to DFAS...should be interesting as i found out when i was discharged they screwed up my DD-214 and my severance pay but i have already paid back everything. We are not taking SBP as it is just not cost effective as well as little money for my wife. I am very happy the way things are going. I am still waiting on the VA as i have pending claims. And I got a job at the VA in Austin Texas.....life is good and very thankful. Time to give back from what i have learned all these years!

Ive got questions concerning Tricare reimbursements! I have heard 6 year time frame so in my case date of discharge (July 19, 2003) to July 19 2009. Is there any validity of this? When i go the call from Deers the supervisor told mention to me 1 year but she was not sure! When I login to Tricare it only goes back two years as of yesterday! But i was told a system update must be done to show Tricare all the way back to 2003. Very confused about this and requesting all those before me to give me the low down please.

I heard reimbursement was 6 years back from the date of your notification letter. I created a boiler-plate letter stating the section from the TRICARE regs that shows reasons for retroactive reimbursement (beyond the 1-year timely filing deadline). I'll post a copy. I've sent a document in to CVS from me, and have done the same with a local hospital (they said they would file) so I'll have a test case from both perspectives. I'm not expecting them to act quickly, but at least I've filed. I have several more providers to contact, and will track data to see who's getting the retro-work done.

Did of you guys/girls figure out the deal with severance pay recoupment for PDBR retirees? I read on health.mil that they are supposed to calculate what your retirement pay would have been and subtract that minus your severance pay, think that is correct? I want to address it again but i don't know who to address it too. I have been retro retired for a year now and i never got a DD-215, retirement certificate or anything. I haven't been on here in a long time and was curious about the severance pay thing.

I was told by the DFAS rep that I contacted that severance would be deducted from my mil pay and that the VA would provide a payment history so they could audit my account AND stop recoupment from VA comp. Then, what I've paid back so far from VA comp will be applied to my severance debt. They said it would be seamless, HOWEVER, I've received 3 pay slips from DFAS that show an offset - I assume it's for the VA comp I chose over mil retirement pay (VA comp is more $$). I didn't see the retro calculated into it at all, and don't think I'm supposed to get the DFAS payment at all as I don't think I'm eligible for CRDP. Someone will end up taking this back, I'm sure. I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the month to see what the VA is going to do....

Also, I think you're right about your mil pay retro: I doubt I'll see anything as they're supposed to calculate it and apply it to the severance loan. Still, if they keep the retired pay and stop taking severance recoupment out of my VA comp I'll be OK with it; never expected to see mil retirement pay anyway.

I was never even asked to waive my military retirement in lieu of VA Comp, though my VA Comp is more. I am retired Coast Guard, we have our own pay and personnel center in Topeka, KS. I think i will open a trouble ticket with them and address it again since maybe it's a little more clear now about what should happen. My retired pay goes back to 2003, i retired an E6 so the 9 years would be more than my severance. I am just curious if my VA recouped severance payments will be refunded to me if they calculate what my retirement check would have been times 9 years and deduct that from the severance. I am going to try and see what happens.

I don't think the VA recoupment will be refunded. It's supposed to be applied to your total debt (created as a result of your new retired status) once your mil pay and VA comp are reconciled. Then, the severance is supposed to be deducted from your mil pay account - at least that's what the DODI states. Like I said, I'd be happy if they just stopped taking the recoupment from my VA comp! Since mil pay is taxible, keep from it what they need. We'll see what happens over the next few months. Hopefully this will all get sorted out so I can put this to rest.

Just a quick update on how things are going! I received tricare on Friday April 13, 2012 and verified via milconnect that I was in the system showing retired. April 18th went and got my ID cards as well as received my up to date orders, promotion, and letter to amend/revoke my old orders, and submission for DD-215. All of this was received via email! Today 4/19 received received via email all documents and that my case is closed. I should received everything in the mail as a hard copy! Everything is now being sent over to DFAS and I have started the (process) of entering my data for retired pay and signing up for tricare prime. My retirement ceremony is set for May 31st at Fort Sam Houston and I am in the process of having a conference call with my RSO either tomorrow or Friday!

Questions:
1. Does anyone have updated experiences with DFAS especially those that had severance pay and/or paid off there severance pay.

2. Does anyone have updated experiences filing for CRSC? I meet all the requirements for it but got screwed in my orders as the LOD was not done correctly when i was in and all there was a formal letter from the commander was just a formal letter no investigation nothing. My updated retirement orders reflect that. Am i screwed or what?

3. Any luck re-couping reimbursements up to 6 years of medical and prescriptions bills from Tricare?

Thanks,

Commosgt

Just a quick update on how things are going! I received tricare on Friday April 13, 2012 and verified via milconnect that I was in the system showing retired. April 18th went and got my ID cards as well as received my up to date orders, promotion, and letter to amend/revoke my old orders, and submission for DD-215. All of this was received via email! Today 4/19 received received via email all documents and that my case is closed. I should received everything in the mail as a hard copy! Everything is now being sent over to DFAS and I have started the (process) of entering my data for retired pay and signing up for tricare prime. My retirement ceremony is set for May 31st at Fort Sam Houston and I am in the process of having a conference call with my RSO either tomorrow or Friday!

Questions:
1. Does anyone have updated experiences with DFAS especially those that had severance pay and/or paid off there severance pay.
A: DFAS has sent several pay notices. They were a little confusing at first, but after seeing all three they made sense. The last one I received shows a VA offset, so they are assuming I eligible for CRDP. I can't see the VA payment for next month yet, but it had better be right! Also, when I last contacted DFAS Retiree support, they had not received any account details from the VA. They said it would take 30 days, so I hope something will happen by the end of this month. What should happen: the VA tells DFAS how much severance has been recouped; applies that to the balance owed and deducts it from mil pay. We'll see if this happens....

2. Does anyone have updated experiences filing for CRSC? I meet all the requirements for it but got screwed in my orders as the LOD was not done correctly when i was in and all there was a formal letter from the commander was just a formal letter no investigation nothing. My updated retirement orders reflect that. Am i screwed or what?

3. Any luck re-couping reimbursements up to 6 years of medical and prescriptions bills from Tricare?
A: I've sent in requests both ways: I got the documents from our local pharmacy and submitted with a claim form for each family member; no word yet. Also, I've gone to a few providers (the big-ticket providers) and have provided them with all the documents - copies of what you received plus a letter detailing the rules that allow for reimbursement beyond the 1-year timely filing deadline. No word on this either. I'll post when I get some sort of response from either apporach.

Thanks,

Commosgt

Have any of you been identified as having a combat related injury on your DD214? If so, how will/should that work with recoupment of severance pay? I do not have to repay the severance, however I am not sure what the overall outcome will be with a DoD retirement. Still patiently waiting to submit to the PDBR. Congrats to those who have received their retirements and benefits for you and yours. And to the rest, do not stop fighting for what is yours. I will not!

Frank,

First, follow the instructions they send you.
E-mail / AKO/DKO Account
Medical retirees with less than 20 years do not get AKO/DKO accounts. AKO/DKO is the email account with the format "[email protected]", for instance. I tried to create an account and had to call the "help desk" who informed me of that.

I sent an inquiry to AKO And this is what AKO said:
Thank you for taking the time to send me your thoughts. Below, you'll find your original feedback and my answer.
Here is a copy of what you submitted: I have been told that I will no longer have access to AKO after my impending Medical Retirement becaause I don't have 20 years service. Is this true? I am Medically Retiring w/90% disability (all occurred in combat) TDRL w/19 years service. I don't believe it..... but It's what we have been told. Is this true?
My response to your feedback: This is not correct. If you are medically retired, you will retain AKO access. If you are being medically discharged, then you wouldn't have access to AKO.
Respectfully,
1SG O'Cloud
I HOPE THIS CLEARS THE AIR AND KEEPS EVERYONE ON THE CORRECT PATH WITH THE CORRECT INFORMATION

Justrluck,

CRSC: I sent the application a few days after I got my PDBR retirement letter. I knew that it was premature evacuation, yet I was fed up with waiting 2 years on the PDBR, figuring it would take at least 3-5 months for the CRSC determination. Nothing happened. So that application was probably placed on hold because I did not include my PDRL orders; I did not have them yet. When I finally got those, approximatley 2 months later I resubmitted the same packet with the orders. 30 days later I was approved at 30% for a few months changing to 40% after a Comp and Pen eval rated me at 40%. The CRSC became retroactive for two years, though I have not seen the retro pay yet...first monthly payments kicked in 2 months ago. About the LOD, I am not sure of your circumstances, but I know that some cases may require numerous documents, and some only a few. If you are able to articulate your injuriy(s), meeting CRSC's criteria, I suspect you will qualify. Remember that when you read the CRSC information on the process, it is directed to all Vet's, not just the present generations. What I mean is that a Korean War vet may not have an LOD, instead some other documentation used during that period. That is why the CRSC seems so complicated. Best thing is to apply.

Thanks for the reply to Boo Boo's AKO statement. When I got my PDBR completed, I got AKO access so I was wondering something had changed.