Another CRSC help thread

select20

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey all, brand new here although I've been reading stuff from these forums for a few years.

I was medically retired back in 2010 from the Army at 100% and a year later was approved for 90% from the VA. Only about a year and a half ago I was increased to 100% due to PTSD finally being recognized.

The short story on the PTSD; I was part of the first deployments to Iraq in 2003. When we came back, systems for determining and getting treatment for PTSD wasn't established very well so at the orders of my commander and eventually from the local military hospital, I saw a civilian Psychologist for almost 3 years. When I got hurt and they were filing all my claims for the med board, the PTSD wasn't recognized because an Army Doctor didn't diagnose me, even though the Army said I had to see a civilian doctor..... who knows. Anyways, years later, finally got all that mess figured out, thankfully.

Like many here, I finally applied for the CSRC thing last year after my DAV officer had been after me to do it for almost 2 years. Took a year and 7 days exactly to get it back.

So it says total combat disability is at 40%. I'm 100% VA disabled. What else do I need to do to figure this out how much I'll get? I read something about the "high 3"....

I appreciate any help. I'm one of those people that I can read information all day, but unless I can ask question, I'll never understand it.

I can provide an estimate if you reply within one post with ALL the info shown below.

1. Average of your high three base pay (i.e., average of the highest 36 months). If you do not have that, the gross retired pay on your DFAS RAS will suffice. Please indicate whether you are showing high three OR RAS info.
2. Your DoD medical retirement percentage
3. Your total active duty (if reservist, total pts/360)--years and months such as 12 yrs and 4 months.
4. Your VA comp percentage, number and category of dependents, and amount
5. Your approved or anticipated CRSC percentage.

All within one reply please.

Ron

Hey RonG, really appreciated all your help on here, not just with myself but with others.

1. Average base pay was $2900. (That is just my pay grade right? No BAH or BAS.)
2. 100% medically retired from Army
3. 11 years, 3 months.
4. Current VA comp is 100%, but was 90% when I first got out in 2010. Three kids, ages 10, 6 and 2.
5. Will attach pic from letter:

Thanks so much

Attachments

• CRSC.jpg
    CRSC.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 87
CRSC Estimate @ 40% for Select20.

Factors:
1. Average base pay was $2900. (That is just my pay grade right? No BAH or BAS.)
2. 100% medically retired from Army
3. 11 years, 3 months.
4. Current VA comp is 100%, but was 90% when I first got out in 2010. Three kids, ages 10, 6 and 2.
5. Will attach pic from letter: 10% and 40%

Computation:
A. High 36 months ave base pay 2900 x 75% (max retirement percentage) = 2175 retired pay
B. VA compensation is more than 3000 so all retired pay is waived/offset (no residual)
C. 11.25 years x 2.5% = 28.13 % multiplier
D. 2900 x 28.13 = 815.77 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay
E. CRSC rate per VA comp tables, 40% with three children under 18; no spouse = 708.90 (778.90 if spouse was left out of factors provided)
F. Item E is less than item D; therefore, CRSC is 708.90 (or 778.90 with a spouse)

This would be the approximate amount of CRSC today, based on the information you provided. Obviously, it uses the 40% rate. COLA increases would have brought the VA comp level in the tables to the amounts shown, so earlier years would be slightly different at 40%. The earlier 10% CRSC rate is an entirely different matter, and a certain change in law applies.

Effective January 1, 2013: The method for computing the monetary entitlement for members with military disability retirements under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code was changed to ensure no such members were disadvantaged from receiving an increased disability rating. Prior to the change in law, some CRSC recipients received less (or no) CRSC due to a flaw in the previous computation prescribed by law, otherwise known as the "CRSC Glitch". The change in law was not retroactive.

Ron

Ron, you rock. So is this estimate added to my VA income? Or does it replace a portion of it? Is it retro active? Since I got the letter, any idea how much longer till all this is awarded?
I know a lot of questions so far.

Ron, you rock. So is this estimate added to my VA income? Or does it replace a portion of it? Is it retro active? Since I got the letter, any idea how much longer till all this is awarded?
I know a lot of questions so far.
Thank you...

CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. It is paid by DFAS (or Coast Guard for those members). You should receive two payments each month: Your VA comp from the VA and CRSC from DFAS. CRSC does not effect VA comp.

CRSC can be retroactive and your CRSC approval letter shows the effective date(s). Since you now have the CRSC approval letter, DFAS will likely pay the retro CRSC within 2-3 months since they too will have been notified. They must first audit your pay.

Ron

I guess I was just concerned it would lower my overall monthly income since I see those words, "replace some or all of retired pay" a lot when I've researched this. I guess we will see.

Again, I really appreciate it.

I guess I was just concerned it would lower my overall monthly income since I see those words, "replace some or all of retired pay" a lot when I've researched this. I guess we will see.
Again, I really appreciate it.

Receipt of VA comp reduces retired pay. CRSC replaces some of all of the waived retired pay (waived via VA offset). CRDP, which is not an issue here, restores waived retired pay (more of a mechanism to allow concurrent receipt now...post 2014).

CRSC does not reduce your VA comp and your entire retired pay is already waived. CRSC is not retired pay; it is a special compensation and non-taxable.

Ron

OOohhh I get it. So I could end up with 40% of the waived retired pay. Nice. Wow. Light bulb moment there lol.

OOohhh I get it. So I could end up with 40% of the waived retired pay. Nice. Wow. Light bulb moment there lol.
That is partially correct. I gave you a detailed computation of what and why you will receive a certain amount. That amount is NOT waived retired pay x 40% = CRSC.

However, you do seem to understand the concept of CRSC...it replaces some or all of waived retired pay for approved combat related disabilities. The computation to determine the precise amount is more complex for CH 61 retiress due to the way the law is written. See my computation. There are other complexities that are not pertinent to your specific case.

Ron

Ok yeah, not 40% but I do get the overall concept. I think I am out of questions, thanks again.

Ok yeah, not 40% but I do get the overall concept. I think I am out of questions, thanks again.
You should receive the dollar amount of the 40% VA rate with applicable dependents. The CRSC rates mirror the VA compensation table rates.

Not all CH 61 retirees receive the "table rates"; most receive the dollar amount of the longevity portion of their retired pay. At least that has been my experience while computing hundreds of similar cases. I did one on another board this morning and his CRSC ended up around $190 since he had few years of AD. The table rate in his case was $3400. He receives the dollar amount of the longevity portion of his retired pay.

Ron

Can I get CRSC if I'm receiving Retired pay plus VA Compensation?

Can I get CRSC if I'm receiving Retired pay plus VA Compensation?
Yes, but if you are a CH 61 retiree, your residual retired pay (left over from the VA offset) will reduce the CRSC determined. CRSC replaces some or all of waived (VA offset) retired pay for approved combat related disabilities.

Ron

My questions are with the process...

I sent my CRSC claim (Army) last September, heard nothing back and when I called a couple weeks ago, they said "you were denied" but wouldn't give me a reason. I sent them an email requesting a denial in writing, and they sent me a response to "call their office and ask for a supervisor."

So, my questions are this;

1. Are they required to give any denial in writing?

2. Am I allowed to file for reconsideration?

3. Who do I go to if they refuse to do what they're required to?

4. What Law, Regulation, or other hard copy of actual rules cover the CRSC process?

Thanks to all in advance.

My questions are with the process...

I sent my CRSC claim (Army) last September, heard nothing back and when I called a couple weeks ago, they said "you were denied" but wouldn't give me a reason. I sent them an email requesting a denial in writing, and they sent me a response to "call their office and ask for a supervisor."
So, my questions are this;
1. Are they required to give any denial in writing?
2. Am I allowed to file for reconsideration?
3. Who do I go to if they refuse to do what they're required to?
4. What Law, Regulation, or other hard copy of actual rules cover the CRSC process?
Hello,

A. This is the first denial I have heard of that did not include a letter of explanation.

B. The Army's CRSC web page contains the form (12E) for reconsideration cases. However, it would be difficult to address the issues without having a reason for the denial. This is the URL: https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/crsc

C. http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_63.pdf is the financial manual that prescribes CRSC entitlement; however, it does not discuss the processes by the service CRSC boards (the Army's is a civilian contractor).

D. Obviously, the person you spoke with is not in charge. Recommend you call back and insist on speaking with a supervisor.

E. If you are unable to obtain a copy of the decision after speaking with a supervisor, you can use the HRC chain of command to seek resolution. Your congressional representatives are also an option.

F.
If you are retired from the Army, you might see the decision/results on the HRC web page before you receive the letter of approval/denial for CRSC.

HRC (Army):

Path

1. https://www.hrc.army.mil/

2. "My Records"

3. Login with DS password

4. Click "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran

5. Click "Documents"

6. Click on the CRSC decision you want to view/copy (all should be available)

Ron

Last edited:
Hello,

A. This is the first denial I have heard of that did not include a letter of explanation.

B. The Army's CRSC web page contains the form (12E) for reconsideration cases. However, it would be difficult to address the issues without having a reason for the denial. This is the URL: https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/crsc

C. http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_63.pdf is the financial manual that prescribes CRSC entitlement; however, it does not discuss the processes by the service CRSC boards (the Army's is a civilian contractor).

D. Obviously, the person you spoke with is not in charge. Recommend you call back and insist on speaking with a supervisor.

E. If you are unable to obtain a copy of the decision after speaking with a supervisor, you can use the HRC chain of command to seek resolution. Your congressional representatives are also an option.

F.
If you are retired from the Army, you might see the decision/results on the HRC web page before you receive the letter of approval/denial for CRSC.

HRC (Army):

Path

1. https://www.hrc.army.mil/

2. "My Records"

3. Login with DS password

4. Click "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran

5. Click "Documents"

6. Click on the CRSC decision you want to view/copy (all should be available)

Ron
Thank you, Never knew I was able to access my records through HRC.

Looked through Documents and the last thing posted were my retirement orders from 2015, nothing before or since about CRSC.

When I talked to the rep. at HRC before, they acknowledged that they received my CRSC claim packet back in September, I sent it Certified Mail so I have a record of them getting it and signing for it.

That nothing is showing in my HRC documents / records, and they never sent a denial to me, gives me the feeling they received the claim but dropped the ball somewhere.

I will look over the other information you gave me on reconsideration, and go ahead and call them up to talk to a supervisor.

I was in the back of a 5 ton truck during our validation at NTC when it crashed into a washed out section of road, crushing my spinal cord. We were in the field, during full on Combat Simulations to validate for our deployment to Iraq. I was in full battle rattle as an Infantryman / Sniper. Between the weight of my body armor and the unforgiving suspension of the military truck, both being employed as Instrumentalities of War (our 5ton's were used at both NTC and Iraq as Combat Vehicles, in fact we had up armored them for that purpose), and the fact it occurred while we were in NTC immersion Simulations of War, should have been more than enough to warrant an approval by CRSC. I'll be interested to see what their reasoning is for the denial, and will fight like hell IF it comes to a reconsideration.

Thanks again.

I have seen several cases where the CRSC document appeared online (path shown above) before the retiree received a copy in the mail.

It is strange nothing about CRSC is in the electronic file. I agree with your thought, "...gives me the feeling they received the claim but dropped the ball somewhere."

Good luck,
Ron