CRSC Calculation Question

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
DFAS has upgraded their website. The new web address for their calculator is:

https://ca.dtic.mil/dfas/estimator/Calculator.htm

This calculator only works for those who have LESS than 20 years of creditable service towards retirement, i.e., no 20 year letter.

Question reguarding CRSC:

If the Army awards me a 50% disability percentage,

And the 199 Form says that this entire 50% is ALL Combat/Combat related,

Do I then input 100% under the CRSC calculator percentage block,

Or, do I just input 50% under the CRSC calculator percentage block?

Thanks!

Makes a big difference in the figures that come out on the other end.

v/r,
nwlivewire

It actually depends on what the VA is paying you for conditions the Army considers combat related, regardless if the condition was found unfitting by the Army. A member could be found unfit for a non combat related condition but have other combat related conditions compensated by the VA. They still get CRSC. I would put in the combined VA percentage for your combat related conditions but I am not sure which CRSC calculator you are using. I know the formula I used in DES Outrage # 8 hold true and factor and it factors in the glitch.

Mike

Dear maparker:

I used the newest CRSC DFAS calculator from the DFAS web site (see first posting in this thread for this new CRSC calculator), and this is what came up for me.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, as I still have a ways to go before final determinations.

But I discovered that there is little CRSC or absolutely no CRSC awarded - even though a high percentage of my injuries are combat/combat related.

So far as I am aware, Congress had NOT added corrective language to the NDAA 2012 to correct this donut hole.

What is curious to note are the middle colomn total estimated award figure for 30/30/100, when compared to 40/40/100, 50/50/100, and 60/60/100.

It's odd that a SM with less percentage of disabilty under 30/30/100, would actually receive a higher monthly disability compensation than if they had higher percentages of disability.

This makes no sense and is very punitive.

What kind of a CRSC award is this for someone who has great amounts of disability? Colomn after colomn of ZERO CRSC award dollars.......

v/r,
nwlivewire

2011 DISABILITY PDRL RATES

4740 PER MONTH AD BASE PAY

11.0 YEARS 06 MONTHS OF AD SERVICE

NO 20 YEAR LETTER – SINGLE - NO DEPENDENTS

MIL % & CRSC AWARD % IS THE SAME

MILITARY/CRSC/VA%
TOTAL
VA/MIL/CRSC BREAKDOWN OF TOTAL

30/30/70
1228/194/316

30/30/80
1427/000/316

30/30/90
1604/000/316

30/30/100
2673/000/316

40/40/70
1228/668/007

40/40/80
1427/469/007

40/40/90
1604/292/007

40/40/100
2673/000/007

50/50/70
1228/1142/000

50/50/80
1427/943/000

50/50/90
1604/766/000

50/50/100
2673/000/000

60/60/70
1228/1616/000

60/60/80
1427/1417/000

60/60/90
1604/1240/000

60/60/100
2673/171/000

70/70/70
1228/2090/000

70/70/80
1427/1891/000

70/70/90
1604/1714/000

70/70/100
2673/645/000

If you can tell me what your VA compensation is for combat related conditions I can calculate your CRSC using the information provided above.

Mike

Dear maparker:

So if I'm reading you correctly, it only matters if the VA considers your injury combat/combat related?

The Army doesn't have any say-so in this?

I mean if the Army and the VA don't agree on a specific injury as being combat/combat related - but, the VA makes the call on that injury as combat/combat related, then all of those injuries adjudged by the VA as combat/combat related are the ones that would qualify for CRSC.

I take it that only VA determined combat/combat related injuries qualify for CRSC?

v/r,
nwlivewire

The military services make CRSC determinations.

The military makes the combat related determination but the amount of VA pay for those conditions drives the amount of CRSC received. CRSC replaces LOS based retirement offset by VA compensation for combat related conditions. Clear as mud.

So the PEB has deemed your 50% unfitting condition combat related. I assume the Army CRSC authorities of the Army will follow suit when you apply for CRSC. It is possible for you to have other conditions not found unfitting by the PEB (or even considered by the DES) that are compensated by the VA that the Army CRSC authorities will also deem combat related. All your combat related conditions are factored into your CRSC determinations regardless if they were found unfitting or even part of your MEB/PEB.
CRSC is limited in three areas. It can't exceed your LOS retirement amount nor can it exceed the amount of compensation by the VA for combat related conditions which are legitimate constraints of CRSC law. In some cases, CRSC can also be limited by the CRSC glitch which is not a legitimate constraint.

So, with the information posted above and what the VA pays you for a 50% rated condition (assuming the VA rates the condition at 50% as well), I can figure your CRSC amount. I assume this is the only combat related condition you have and the VA rates it at 50%. I am also using your current AD pay of $4,740. I need to use your high three retirement amount which will be less – a lot less if you have been promoted in the last three years and/or have had YOS based pay increases. High three retirement amount = highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36.

Assuming a VA single rate with no dependents (and a boat load of other assumptions), the numbers look as follows:

1. Total amount of DoD disability retirement: $2,370 (50% of $4,740)
2. Minus DoD retirement amount based on years of service: $1,363 ($4,740 x 28.75%*)
3. Equals DoD "Disability Compensation": $1,007
4. Amount of VA compensation due for combat related disabilities: $770
5. Minus DoD "Disability Compensation” (line 3): ($-237)
6. Equals Maximum CRSC amount: $0

*2.5% per year x 11.5 years active duty

So, using the numbers and assumptions outlined above you will not get any CRSC. Are you a victim of the glitch? No.

CRSC is designed to replace your LOS based retirement offset by VA compensation for combat related conditions. Under concurrent receipt, you should get an amount (between DoD and the VA) that is at least the total of your VA and your retirement based on LOS. With a 50% VA single rate, your VA is $770 and your LOS retirement is $1,363 for a total of $2,133. However, your DoD retirement of $2,370 exceeds this amount by $237. You are a minority case where you get more in DoD disability retirement than your total VA and your LOS based retirement amount. (Again, based on a boat load of assumptions)

As the assumptions turn into hard facts and numbers, the truth will likely change. The key information that is still based on assumptions is:

Your high three retirement amount

Your total VA rating and compensation

The amount of VA compensation that will be deemed combat related by Army CRSC officials. (Although unlikely, the Army CRSC officials could disagree with the PEB combat related determination.)

Do you have a VA rating yet?

Mike

Dear maparker:

Thank-you so much for giving me an example and the explanation about CRSC.

I've not rec'd my %s yet. Just dinking around with the CRSC calculator.

PEBLO notified me that initial NARSUM is imminent for my receivership/review.

I have Jason at my side now, and he will soon be rolling up his shirtsleeves with my case.

I entered AD prior to SEP 8, 1980, so am under the old system, not the high-36 (made that by 28 days!).

Your breakdown of how this gets figured out is great! I will refer to this thread in the future.

I still think it odd that with a hypothetical 30/30/100, the combined total is 2989. But 40/40/100 is 2673 - 316 less per month. Same with 50/50/100 and 60/60/100.

Thank-you again!

v/r,
nwlivewire

I am not understanding how to calculate CRSC. I see these examples but I am not sure how to come up with the figures. I was discharged in Nov 2005, 10% from the USMC (they really screwed me) and a severance of around $8K. In 2007 i was awarded 100% from the VA (now P&T) and today I received word that the PDBR/Navy awarded me 70% PDRL. After 6 1/2 years fighting with them (including a formal PEB etc.) I have finally gotten what I have been fighting for.

I want to know now how much CRSC would be if anything (if I am approved for it.)

I was an E-3, entered service on July 29, 2002. Discharged Nov 15, 2005.

If someone could help me with this calculation I would greatly appreciate it.

Congrats on your PDBR results. Tens of thousands were cheated out of disability retirement. I am glad to see that some of them are getting their due.

What is the amount of your military retirement based on 70% PDRL, per your RAS?

Confirm you have 38 months of active duty time.

What is your VA amount at 100%?

Is the va compensating you for combat related injuries? If yes, what conditons and what are the ratings?

Mike

Is the va compensating you for combat related injuries? If yes, what conditons and what are the rating?

Thank you, after originally getting 10%, being in the hospital for PTSD, TBI, GI issues, losing everything including my home to forclosure and both of our vehicles I feel a little bit of vindication. I am 100% P&T for the above conditions.

I do not know the amount of my retirement, I have yet to receive a letter. The PDBR called me and informed me that the letter was mailed to the wrong place and that they were sending me another. I asked if she could tell me the findings and she said "The Navy decided 70% retirement" I asked PDRL or TDRL, she said "permanent- PDRL".

I was thinking 40 months?

Also, since I was discharged with a severance in Nov 05 and did not get my VA until a year or so later (and I had to repay severance) will I get the retirement that I would have received between those dates?

They should figure out what they should have paid you if retired in 2005 and then subtract the severance. You will have to apply for CRSC. I think it should be 39 months. At the end of July 2005 you had 36 months followed by all of August, September and October of 2005. They do not count partial months.

Mike

And I guess I want to know if I would get anything from CRSC before I apply for it. I saw the calculator but I do not have MSWORD. Tried to open it in Works but it didn't work.

Your severance was offset by VA. Disability retirement is offset by VA as well. They will start with a clean sheet, figure out what you would have got if retired to include figuring the VA offset.

Mike

I came up with around $1148 ? for the retirement amount. I understand what you are saying now, so I am not sure what I will get if any for that backpay.

I still have no idea if I could get any CRSC.

DFAS has upgraded their website. The new web address for their disability retirement calculator:

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/woundedwarrior/disabledretireest.html

This calculator only works for those who have LESS than 20 years of creditable service towards retirement, i.e., no 20 year letter.

The big assumption here is that the Servicemember has gone through the MEB/PEB process, has been awarded a combat/combat related disability rating from this process (coded 10a/c on that DA 199 form), OR, the VA has awarded a combat/combat related percentage.

CRSC is applied for by the Servicemember through their respective branch of service (CRSC is NOT automatic – you must apply to your branch of service).

You may be shocked at how little you MAY or MAY NOT subsequently be awarded for your CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation).

For a more detailed read about the CRSC Glitch, see maparkers posting:

DES Outrage # 8: PEB Forum Home - DES Outrage of the Week # 8 - DoD's CRSC Calculation Glitch

Thank you very much! Both of those links were extremely helpful. Looks like I could get around $100 if I was awarded CRSC. I wonder is there any upcoming legislation to address these calculation issues?

Expected Monthly VA Payment$ 1,409.00Retired Pay Differential$ 271.00CRSC Entitlement$ 209.00Total Projected Benefit$ 1,889.00

This is what I get when I put in 2400 (e-5 paid at 12 years), 1 dependent and 8 years total active duty. I have a claim in for sleep apnea (already on the CPAP) which probably will bring my VA up to 90%, but this kills the retirement differential. Weird. So it looks like my "retirement" pay is only $271 a month, seems kinda on the low side for some reason. I also was one of those that had a severance. I paid that all off but from what I understand the DOD figures the amount pre-tax and the VA figures it post-tax (or vice versa). Anyways I'm sure they will figure out a way to "repay" something out of my back pay.