Denying Medication

JosephWC

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I just recently began the IDES process after completing 1 LIMDU period for MDD and GAD. Throughout the process, the docs and I had tried every possible form of treatment except medication. I have personal problems with the use of anti-depressants, and I refused to accept the prescriptions that were recommended. The docs were completely understanding (I have personally witnessed very negative affects from the use of anti-depressants). After all of the treatment methods were unsuccessful, they moved forward with the MEB recommendation. Now, the attorney is saying that I could be considered non-compliant and not found UNFIT. Is this always going to be the case? I was told to just lie and say I take medication and that it doesn't work to help my case, but that goes against my morals. I'd rather be honest. My symptoms now along with my claimed conditions will definitely qualify for an UNFIT finding and disability. I just hope I can get to that point without being labeled as non-compliant. Any thoughts?

Lying in the service could result in a charge of false official statement. I agree with you, don't do it!

Medications do have side effects, but you will never know if you will have those side effects without a trial. Often medications help and not everyone has side effects. There are many choices of medications.

Best wishes
Mike

Hey Mike, I really appreciate your feedback! To be honest, I have a lot more reasons to deny these medications than I do to take them. There are also other treatment options for me that the military just won't offer me, so I think I'm being pretty fair. I hope being honest works in my favor. I'm not striving for some outrageous disability rating, I just want to be found unfit so I can move on.

I wish you the best. There are options in treatment.

If you do get out and go to the VA, they will likely prescribe medication. By not taking medication, this can jeopardize your benefits. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to throw the pills down and tired of the weight gain but I want to keep my benefits. They still found me non-compliant according to the findings I just got back on my Re-Evaluation. I'd love an explanation to it. I expressed my concern to my psychiatrist today as to why the VA would say this and the Air Force come back saying this, she was clueless. They are slick and have to watch them. They've cancelled multiple appointments behind my back without my knowledge. Does not help the already piss poor reputation the VA has with me.