Future employment and disability

Jessica D.

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, I'm beginning to be concerned that my disability will limit my future employment. I have back problems, so I understand that as an employee, that makes me a risk, but are employers able to ask me about the nature of my disabilities?

Being a Disabled VET - actually pushes you to the front of the hiring list. Many companies today are looking for the government tax breaks afforded to them by hiring a disabled vet. They get the tax break you dont =P. But it does help you get hired and looks good on them as well. With that I'm sure you would have to disclose your conditions to some degree to a future employer. This would be so they can accommodate you and make sure they dont put you in a situation that would aggravate your injuries.

Also if your 70% VA rated (or higher) you can apply for unemployable status, which if accepted you get 100% VA.

Good Luck

I am in the same boat Jessica. Im having back issues and am looking to continue my carreer outside of the military, even contracting to give myself and my family a nice cushon and jump start... But im nervous to think that i may be negatively affected by this. Im trying my Damnedest now to get somewhat better and relearn how to do things without aggrivating my lower back.

I was just talking with a woman who does workforce devlopment type stuff, and she said that when applying for government jobs, they will see that you were medically discharged on your DD214, and that "looks bad" apparently. I'm also worried because who wants to hire someone with back problems? No one. It's a huge liability :(

Yeah, i understand your concerns fully. However... Im pretty sure that its illegal for employers to ask certain questions. And as long as you were not discharged un-honorably you will still be siting pretty well. Its hard not to worry but have faith. Just keep plugging away and send them resumes out! You will get a job!

DOD jobs are based on a point system. Being a dis. Vet gets you extra points.
But my question is, If I get 100% VA am I allowed to work?

Yes, you can have 100% and still be able to work. The VA docs can lable you as two diffrent categories; non employable, or employable.

question: If you med retire, does your 214 indicate "medical discharge"? Also, I know that vets with disabilities fall into a protected category and if an employer fails to hire you based on your disabilities (as long as you are capable of performing the job you are applying for), they leave themselves open for legal reprecussions and lawsuits. Miguel is correct...employers skate on thin ice when they are even bordering discrimination due to disability.

Yes, you can have 100% and still be able to work. The VA docs can lable you as two diffrent categories; non employable, or employable.

I don't think that is true. If the VA rates you at 100% then yes you can work. BUT if you at say 70% and file for IU and get 100% you cannot work BUT you can go to school full time and when you done school you can go back down to 70 % or if you disability does increase then you can work again.

Incorrect. You can have 100% dissability with the VA and still work. If they label you as unemployable.... you obviously can not work a normal fulltime job. Look it up!

I don't think that is true. If the VA rates you at 100% then yes you can work. BUT if you at say 70% and file for IU and get 100% you cannot work BUT you can go to school full time and when you done school you can go back down to 70 % or if you disability does increase then you can work again.

I have a buddy that is 100% VA and works full time for the government on Ft. Lewis! It is total BS of a rumor if rated 100% you cannot work....

I was just talking with a woman who does workforce devlopment type stuff, and she said that when applying for government jobs, they will see that you were medically discharged on your DD214, and that "looks bad" apparently. I'm also worried because who wants to hire someone with back problems? No one. It's a huge liability :(

That is a big negative! There is a form called SF15 which is called Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, it is specifically designed for disabled veterans! Besides if you have an active Secret Clearance that is an additional 5-Point Veteran Preference. Have that form and the statement of active security clearance on your resume you go straight to the top on hiring lists!