GI Bill with Medical Discharge for Junior Officers?

Are Officers that went through ROTC/Service Academy eligible to receive Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits with a medical discharge if they are still in their service obligation timeframe?
EX: ROTC grad obligation = 4 years AD; Svmbr Medically separated at 3 years... are they eligible?

Thanks Joe, But I am more interested in the original question of eligibility. I am a west point grad but am being medically discharged for a service connected disability before my ADSO is up. I have the 30 days of active duty required but am unsure if it will be awarded to me.

ADSO does not count against you. I am an officer as well and incur a 2 year ADSO for using TA as the rules read. That's what you sign for when you take the classes, but being medically separated washes all the ADSOs away. In the WTU they recommend you use your time to get as many classes as possible. I was worried at first, but it all worked out just fine.

Thanks for clearing that up. Navy ROTC grad here. Used TA for Master's and plan to use Post 9/11 GI Bill for PMP and PgMP but was unsure of eligibility. I know we waive the Montgomery GI Bill when we commission (found the paperwork) but did not see anything regarding the Post 9/11.

The main reason I posed this question was that the VA website states: The new GI bill will allow officers who graduated from service academies or received ROTC scholarships to qualify for the new GI Bill benefit. However, time spent satisfying the ROTC/Service Academy active duty obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits.

Cami09 or Sean6860, did either of you get a final resolution on the Post 9-11 GI Bill? I'm in the same boat. I'm going to apply, but would like to know my chances as well (and any advice you can give along the way)
Thanks!

Cami09 or Sean6860, did either of you get a final resolution on the Post 9-11 GI Bill? I'm in the same boat. I'm going to apply, but would like to know my chances as well (and any advice you can give along the way)
Thanks!

Sullivan,

I haven't applied yet. I am assuming that if I apply right now i would be denied since I am still on active duty and in my obligated service window. I plan on applying post-separation. I am hoping that my medical retirement discharge code on my orders will be what qualifies me and my ROTC commitment will have no bearing on my eligibility. I did however, apply for Vocational Rehabilitation which also can provide education benefits if rated over 20% or 10% with a serious employment handicap. I am just waiting to receive the paperwork in the mail along with the date I have to go in for an evaluation. I will post whether or not i am successful in qualifying for either program. Good luck to you!

Just to follow up on the original question from this post: Can Junior Officers in their commitment window(4 years ROTC, 5 Years Academy) that get medically retired/separated receive the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

The answer is YES! I only completed 3 out of the required 4 years of active service, ROTC grad, and medically retired at 90%. I applied via E-Benefits AFTER I was medically retired so that the VA could see my discharge code. I recently was awarded 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit. So relieved!

Braveheart or cami, do you have more info on this. I just got told no on my application and I want to appeal. Thanks!

Hi, I am in the same situation. Army ROTC scholarship and medically retired after 3.5 years. I applied and was denied benefits. Has anyone received resolution on this?

Cami,
Great to hear that you were able to receive the GI Bill. For Kscog2 and pinklantana I'm wondering if Cami may have been eligible due to her 90% rating. What rating were each of you given to but you in a medically retired status? Unfortunately I think I may be in the same situation here before long. I finish my service academy commitment 27 May 2014 but just had my MEB process started in November and probably won't have the required 30 (for those medically separated/retired) days following my commitment. Hopefully we'll here from cami on this.

Has anyone been approved?

I was at the USCGA. I was injured in training during Swab summer. I was medically discharged and received service connected compensation.

I just got my initial denial letter and am writing an appeal. I served more than 30 days, which is all that is required for Post 911 GI Bill, but they are saying I have a service obligation of 5 years after graduation. But I never even got into a college class.

I am having a hard time registering how Joe Blow off the street can walk in and enlist, get injured in Boot Camp and get educational benefits when those of us that worked our butts of to get into an academy aren't eligible.

Veterans who have served at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001 and received an honorable discharge will qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the full benefit a Veteran must have served at least 3 years of active duty after September 10, 2001.