Got my letter today. Now what?

Ldimi

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I filed with the Pdbr back in November of 2016. Today I got my letter saying that my 10% has been raised to 50%. I currently have a 70% rating from the VA with PTd and pay at 100%. Do I need to actually do anything else? I guess this means I have military retirement so will my wife and 1 year old be covered under health insurance now? I’d be happy with that as it will save us some money of course.

Did you receive an update DD215?

The letter said there is a lot of claims at the moment but my decision was sent to records so it can be updated. Could still take another couple months before they are updated to reflect the change

Well this gives me a little hope. I filed mine in early November 2016 as well, the Army listed my disability at 0% (the VA gave me 70% 5 months after separation in 2004). The last I heard mine was sent for adjudication months ago, so I hope this is all completed soon.

Well this gives me a little hope. I filed mine in early November 2016 as well, the Army listed my disability at 0% (the VA gave me 70% 5 months after separation in 2004). The last I heard mine was sent for adjudication months ago, so I hope this is all completed soon.

I emailed them mid September 2017 and was advised that I was in the final processing and administrative review. It went by fairly quickly.

The Army gave me 0% as well but unfit. I've got 30% from the VA immediately after my discharge. We just have to hang in there and hope they do what's right.

The Army gave me 0% as well but unfit. I've got 30% from the VA immediately after my discharge. We just have to hang in there and hope they do what's right.

out of curiosity - when you get a 0% rating from the DOD side, do you get a severance of any kind?

out of curiosity - when you get a 0% rating from the DOD side, do you get a severance of any kind?

Yes, you will get 2.5 x your base pay times the years you have served. If you have served less than three years, you are given three years, if you have served less than three years and your injuries occurred in a combat zone, you are given six years.

Severance is typically recouped from the VA, it is kinda like a 0% interest loan on your future VA C&P payments. Severance is not recouped if the injury occurred in a combat zone or at 0%.

Yes, you will get 2.5 x your base pay times the years you have served. If you have served less than three years, you are given three years, if you have served less than three years and your injuries occurred in a combat zone, you are given six years.

Severance is typically recouped from the VA, it is kinda like a 0% interest loan on your future VA C&P payments. Severance is not recouped if the injury occurred in a combat zone or at 0%.
I think I may have misunderstood. If you get 0% unfit, they do not recoup?

I think I may have misunderstood. If you get 0% unfit, they do not recoup?

Correct, if you are at 0% then there is no recoupment. If you are rated 10%, they recoup $136.24 per month, 20% $269.30 per month.

Correct, if you are at 0% then there is no recoupment. If you are rated 10%, they recoup $136.24 per month, 20% $269.30 per month.
It was 2005 but I remember not getting all my VA pay until it was recouped. I was 0%. HAs it always been that way?

thanks for the response - i had never heard of a situation where they were rated 0%

Doesn’t make much sense does it? To be 0% but unfit(service connected).

if there is one thing i have learned through this whole thing? it's that none of it makes sense. for instance? my husband was found fit because of a statement made by his chief [mistakingly] yet they completely ignored what the people with MD behind their name said..... [we are currently contesting this finding] but i also have to have faith that there is a method to their decision.

Just a little update. It’s been a little over two weeks and I received my updated dd215 and all the info that I apparently need to move forward. All in all this took about a 15-16 months. Not to bad imo. I guess I need to find a RSO to continue on.

Wow, great news and congrats on getting through the process. Thank you for sharing the update, as I am just sitting around wondering if anything will ever be done (filed Feb 2017). I supposed I have a bit more waiting to do, but this post gives me hope!

What if the VA recouped severance when a veteran received a 0% disability rating on their unfitting condition and was later found 70% by the VA for a different issue?

My husband got out in 2007 because of his knees and was rated 0% and unfit by the DoD. He was paid a severance of about $23,000 and had taxes taken out. In 2016 he received a VA rating of 70% for PTSD that they retroacted to the date of his application in 2014. (His knees were again rated at 0%.) The VA recouped almost $17,000 for his severance. Was that incorrect and is there a way to address this issue?

I finally got my letter yesterday and I first filed almost 2 years ago. I received 0% from the Army when I left in 2004 and PDRB corrected to 50%, but I've been receiving 70% from the VA since 2005. I have all of my paperwork stating I paid back my severance, so I have no idea what to expect now.

From what I understand I now just get a change on my DD214 and an ID card for post facilities, right?

I guess I just wait for my instructions, which are to follow.