Help on MEB/PEB

rmiller2094

Registered Member
All

I have Partial Compression Fractures on T6,T7,T8-T10 and broad based protrusion on T7-T8 with anterior impingement, Total Knee Replacement w/second surgery changing out the poly, migrains (which I have been tracking), medical major depression issues and Fibromyalgia. These issues make it very painfull to come to work every day some of issues are: lift my arms, typeing (42A) or comb my hair. What do I expect from the MEB/PEB Process?

I also have over 22 years active duty in and my question is: If I have over 30% disability does it work like 30% of my high three is none taxed and the remainder of 25% is?

You didn't say at what part of the process your at. You should expect either your physician or your commander will refer you. Typically you will be given a profile that recommends either a MMRB, or a MEB. You will be seen by another medical professional who will confirm your need for an MEB, through examination. Be very thorough when you report your conditions, and take with you ALL your medical records and pertinent military documents. You'll want a LOD for all your conditions prior to this appointment. From this they will set up the rest of your appointments to exam your individual issues. For your back, they will measure your range of motion, (when they do, don't go past the point of where your pain starts. Stop at the first sign of pain. This is then sent to an MEB physician you should be given an appointment to see him, he will write your NARSUM (Narrative summary) and then you will be rated for your conditions. Once rated, you will be given an oppurtunity to concur or non-concur. If you don't agree with the findings, you have a short oppurtunity to non concur. Non concurring will send you to the formal board. Non concurring can result in your rating being lowered. The whole process is impossible to predict length wise, if you've trolled here for long you've seen how so many have taken so long.

No for taxes to get a tax break, your conditions have to be caused from combat. Once you get your decision, you can seek the advice of a tax professional. DFAS has a section for both CRDP and CRSC, as does this forum, with over 20 years you are entitled to CRSC. which will allow you to recieve both VA benefits, as well as your retirement. As far as your high three, there is acutually a new tool on DFAS that you can plug in your data, and it will spit out an approximate, but it can't be too acurate without your rating, You can look your conditions up in VASRD, and try to questimate. Word math might as well be astro physics for me, I never get it right.

I would get to the VA now. Take all your info, get them to rate your conditons. It will help your case with the military to already have a rating from the VA. Don't go it alone, you need to have a good VSO help you develope your case with the VA. Get an evaluation for your depression, to be sure it's not more than that. Especially if you were exposed to blasts, or stressors. Alot of times the symptoms of TBI and PTSD are so close they are misdiagnosed, migraines and depression are some of the symptoms of both. If you can, get a civilian doctor to evaluate your medical conditions.

Organize your documents, and keep posting questions here as you have them. There are lots of wonderful people who know so much more than me, and love trying to help.

mascabn

I am in the very beginning with seeing a military doctor at a MTF for a fit for duty evaluation. Because I am an AGR and all of my medical conditions are documented by civilian doctors I will have to be sent to Ft. Carson for a MEB. I have been told by military and VA personnel that I do not have to have an LOD because it happend while I was on Active Duty also at this point it kind of hard to go back some 17 years in the case of my back. On the depression the therapist is leaning toward PTSD not major depression. Does being in and around alot explosives add to TBI and PTSD?

I am very new at this and a little nervouse of what steps I should be taken because we do not have anybody in the state that is willing to help us out.

I know with my husband they wanted a lod, the docs wouldn't even consider his back until he had it. Be carefull that they add it onto your conditions. Yes being around alot of explosions can contribute to TBI each person is different on the PTSD, They only thing I can suggest is to go to the nearest large VAMC, and get into the poly trauma clinic, they can do a neuro psychological test to determine both TBI and PTSD. I know it's nerve racking, enlist a trusted loved one to support you through this. They can attend your appointments with you. It also helps if you take it as it comes rather than frettin about things not even in front of you yet. DEEP BREATH!