How do you answer “Why did you leave the Military”

brohammer

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Or “why did you leave your job”? During my transition course they told us to simply state we finished our contribution to service, and leave it at that. I find it hard to make it look like it was my choice, when my DD-214 shows a medical discharge. Obviously for fed jobs with disability preference, this would not be an issue, but every other job it will be. I don’t plan on ever disclosing my diagnosis, because I don’t believe I have it, it doesn’t effect me and I know I would be discriminated against despite laws to protect that.

Any tips on this ?
Thanks.

I just tell people I'm retired from the Army. Then they ask "did you do 20 years?" And I explain that No, I only made it to 17.5 and was granted a medical retirement.

I just tell people I'm retired from the Army. Then they ask "did you do 20 years?" And I explain that No, I only made it to 17.5 and was granted a medical retirement.

I can see that working in your circumstances, but I was only in 9 years. Not sure if that will work, guess I’ll learn through exp.

Does not matter, you will be retired from the military.

Your answer should be, Retired from the Military with a Service Characterization of Honorable. If you are younger, you can put Retired from the Military with 8 years of Service, Honorable.

8 years is a benefit to you because even though employers should not discriminate because of age, it does happen. Listing 8 years makes them think you are in your late 20s-early 30s.

I was talking about during an interview and yah I am worried about the age thing, I do look younger than my age, but not by much. I’m 35. I know they discriminate on age, looks, height etc.