Husband's MEB/PEB

I'm just posting a timeline. Partially to help other and partially so I can look over it myself. LOL

30yo - mos 11B - E7 promotion date 15JAN2009 - 12yrs AD Army Service

08/2008 He sat front passenger side of the lead vehicle(HMMWV) of a convoy in Afghanistan and they hit two Russian antitank mines and were ambushed. Their vehicle was decimated, but they all survived. My husband spent a couple of weeks at a medical center and went back to work his job for the next seven months until their deployment was over. Upon his return 03/2009 we had PCS orders for 11/2009 and he was in pain all the time. His back hurt and they decided that he needed physical therapy, his wrist hurt and they discovered that he had broke it and it had healed wrong. They performed surgery 10/09 and we pcs'ed and started over again at a new station. His entire unit was restationed 08/2010 and we started over. Once he got his medical things on a roll he had two more hand surgeries, the last being 11/2011.
They put him on profile, MEB started 01/2012. His completed NARSUM was forwarded to the iPEB 15MAR2012. Three conditions found unfitting for retention - DDD Lumber(with two bulging discs and one herniated) and Cervical and his wrist with Traumatic Arthritis and loss of mobility. I do not know the percentages. He has 11 other smaller conditions being considered by the VA that meet retention standards. Tendonitis/right elbow, meniscal tear/cyst/right knee, patellofemoral syndrome/cyst/left knee, left elbow pain/possible traumatic arthritis, mild ptsd, insomnia, history of TBI, tinnitus right and left ears, headaches, refractive error(I assume this is his eyes?)
Almost all of his injuries are combat related. His MEB/IPEB is being processed out of Westpoint because we are currently stationed at a post with no active duty services. His PEBLO informed us Monday 14MAY2012 that his position in queue came up and the VA has his file in review. All of his appointments are done and the only thing they have asked for is pictures of his facial scars, these were from the impact of the explosion breaking his night vision scope on his helmet and pushing into his forehead. We hadn't considered this before they asked for the pictures.

I know this is rather long winded, as I'm not sure how to write it all out correctly. Does anyone think they have any estimate of how long it may take from here? Or possibly the amounts we may receive. We have four children and we are trying to prepare for the possible future. We had expected we'd be with the Army much longer than 12 years. We are not looking forward to the transition.

Army meb/peb out of Westpoint, we are at JBMDL.

Date of Physician's Notification of MEB Action:01/17/2012
Physical Exam Completed:02/02/2012
Date of MEB Physician Appointment:02/02/2012
Date Physician dictated MEB narrative Summary:02/28/2012
Date of initial PEBLO Counseling:01/05/2012
Date MEB with signatures of approving authority returned to PEBLO:03/09/2012
Date Patient counseled on MEB:03/12/2012

Current status is awaiting PEB findings.

Received informal PEB ratings today. 30% from the Army and 70% from the VA. Looks like we are going to appeal, because he received 20% for the lumbar spine before, but he didn't stay out of the Army and it has gotten worse since the IED and they've dropped it down to 10%? Are we going to need help? The VA isn't rating his torn knee ligaments and bone spurs in the knees and elbows yet because he'll be getting surgery on them soon.

Wow, your timeline is moving very fast. Was the Army rating PDRL or TDRL? Have you spoken to the Soldier's Counsel in regards to this? Good luck.

PDRL and no we haven't spoke to any one yet. We were waiting for the initial PEB to come back and hoping it wouldn't be bad and it's awful. It's full of mistakes and the rating is pathetic.

Who can active duty soldiers get help from for a formal PEB? My husband is not in a WTU, the don't have one for AD Army here and the nearest ones say he's not eligible to be in one because they changed the regulations to only allow in soldiers that needed physical medical assistance or were mentally incapable of caring for their own needs. If they had realized he was injured in 2008 he would have been grandfathered in, but since they refused to give him proper MRI's and keep pcsing us, we didn't get a MEB or PEBLO until nearly about 3 years after.

Honestly, I was so upset yesterday. I just wanted to ask some one how much percentage they would charge to let me crush their wrist and then tell them to work on it for another 7 months in Afghanistan as an infantry man and then come home and have 3 painful failed surgeries and lose mobility in your thumb. THEN lets just call that arthritis. It hurts so much he says he wishes they had amputated it and gave him an artificial one. And his back? He injured it in 2001 on an airborne jump and he had a break in service, the VA gave him 20% for it. Now, it's been hurt more, more damage and more pain and they wanna drop it down to 10%!? It's a slap in the face.

Find a PEB attorney and review everything. Search for regional PEB attorneys in your area. Also, the PEBLO should have given this info to you. If not, call over there and ask. Understand a lot can change between IPEB and FPEB, especially with the help of a good attorney.

It's frustrating, but take it one day at a time.

So, his PEBLO in West Point took his files to a JAG officer there. We don't have any Army JAGs here(JBMDL) only Air Force, their are enough subtle differences in the processes that he felt it was best for Army to handle Army. They found a lot of mistakes, things like they state there isn't prior documentation when there is obvious documentation and mistakes such as combining of completely unrelated conditions, sometime misnaming of conditions, things that need to be fixed for future care regardless of percentage. They are writing it all up and sending in an informal appeal. My husband wants to put in a COAD packet, he has about 8 years left, but they said he's eligible because his injuries are from combat. He obviously can't continue in his current 11B MOS. I have been searching all over for examples of COADs that have been retrained for a new MOS, there is scant information. I just wondered how often they considered accepting COAD people that have to be reclassed? Before all this happened, Intellegence, Psyops and a few others were offering him the chance to change MOS. This is stressful.

The reclassification into a different MOS will be weighted on what his physical limitations are. I am Army and serving on an Air Force installation. I go through the MEB Counsel on ft. Knox because that is where my MEB is being processed. I've included the list of Soldiers Counsel from the website. I would get with the closest one for assistance or they could at least point you in the right direction.
Ft. Bragg (910) 643-1819
Ft. Drum (315) 772-8237
Ft. Eustis (757) 878-0249
Ft. Knox (502) 624-4830
United States Military Academy (845) 741-9831
Heidelberg DSN:(314)371-2091/Comm: 011-49-6221-17-2091 [email protected]
Fort Belvoir (703) 805-0377
[email protected]
Wiesbaden DSN (314) 337-4738/Comm:011-49-611-705-4738
Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany
DSN: (314) 590-8286 Comm: 011-49-6371-9464-8286

Rose Barracks, Vilseck Legal Center, Germany
DSN:(314) 476-3358: Comm 011-49-662-83-3358

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to gather as much information via internet for my husband as I can, while he is attending appointments, making phone calls and still working. Is the soldiers counsel different from the regular JAG? I'm happy to have found some one else in the Army mostly dealing with AF people.