I think I'm being screwed over

anonymouse

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Question,
by all means, I should have been MEB’d by now for a number of issues as the regs state that I should have over a year ago. I believe that a number of people at my clinic and in my Squadron are playing games to deny me of any post-military benefits. Recently, when I left an in-patient mental health facility with a primary diagnosis of PTSD, the clinic abruptly changed it to another diagnosis and no PTSD. Because of things like this, I am very suspicious of anything that has to do with the military medical system. Honestly, it seems that they are trying to get something over on me and punish my family further for a service-inflicted problem. In my situation, does anyone have any recommendations for trying to advocate for myself.

From a compensation perspective another diagnosis may have little effect. The VA rates people based on their occupational and social impairment. So a diagnosis of PTSD or Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) with the same level of impairment yield the same compensation. In fact, the VA would lump MDD and PTSD together for compensation under one rating!

On the other hand, a diagnosis of a personality disorder might reduce your compensation. PDs are considered to exist prior to service. So a change in diagnosis may or may not have anything to do with"post-military benefits."

You can ask the patient advocate for a second opinion; since you have two different diagnoses, from two different providers. Do you have any evidence or just suspicions? If you have evidence, the IG is a possible avenue.

Best wishes
Mike

On the other hand, a diagnosis of a personality disorder might reduce your compensation. PDs are considered to exist prior to service. So a change in diagnosis may or may not have anything to do with"post-military benefits."

You can ask the patient advocate for a second opinion; since you have two different diagnoses, from two different providers. Do you have any evidence or just suspicions? If you have evidence, the IG is a possible avenue.

Mike,
That is exactly what is happening. Any personality disorder that i may have had was significantly exasperated for them to throw all of PTSD under that blanket. So, for me to leave an in-patient facility where the exit-diagnosis was PTSD to come back and have it immediately dropped from the diagnosis seems a bit problematic. I will try to talk to the patient advocate this week, and consider the IG as well.

Some military docs wrongly think there job is to minimize compensation. During a PEB the rating is based on he C&P examiner's diagnosis, not the military doc's diagnosis.

Some military docs wrongly think there job is to minimize compensation. During a PEB the rating is based on he C&P examiner's diagnosis, not the military doc's diagnosis.

Hmm in addition, be very aware, it's not just military doctors trying to minimize compensation either! As such, some DoVA C&P Examination clinicians try to use the same minimizing compensation technique; I definitely speak via a lot of experience from this particular point!

But, at the end of the day, they all were wrong in my particular situations; it's called timely invoking your authorized opportunities for a successful appeal which take weeks to years to complete especially when the medical evidence and/or medical documentation overwhelmingly supports the case/claim.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
My experience was very different than many on this forum. Despite some errors here and there, everyone, DoD and VA, were trying to do the right thing.

Indeed, thanks great albeit it highly advantegous to be aware of both ends of the spectrum for sure! Take care and happy new year!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Try to speak with your MSC, he or she can really help, and they are your advocates.

I want to give up and kill myself. I get no support and I'm only getting worse. There is no hope.

Try to call the VA Veteran Hotline, which is manned 24/7. They will help you in this particular time when you are feeling so down and depressed. They were there once for me, when I thought some really bad things. But they helped me get some needed help. Please don’t give up. The IDES process, however convoluted, does move forward and oftentimes, you get a good result. Please don’t give up on yourself or on your loved ones.