Is my 214 right?

joshgo

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
So after 2 months of phone battles, I finally received my DD Form 214 in the mail. Everything seemed to be right and I checked the codes which look good. Reentry code is 2Q (medical retirement or discharge) and separation code is SFK (USAF placed on TDRL).

The thing that concerns me is the narrative at the bottom. It says reason for retirement: "VOL-Voluntary retirement due to sufficient length of service." I translate that to "this guy was in 20 years and retired like normal." Although I wish that were the case, it's not.

So my question is, will this block on my 214 make a difference in anything? i.e. slow down or confuse the VA? Do I need to get it fixed? And if so is a BCMR the path to take or is there a simpler way to correct this minor error?

Thanks!

And if my description doesn't make sense, I'll post a snapshot.

Bump...

That seems like an error. However, I am not sure it would change anything for you...it is possible to get a DD215 (which is a correction document for DD214). If you were to need to change this, it would go through the BCMR most likely.

I by no means count myself as a DD214 guru. I was contacted sometime back by a member on the forum who works with these all the time (they work at a Transition Point) and who volunteered to weigh in on these issues. I will see if I can contact them to put some eyes on your question. Can't promise they will respond, but they may have some insight.

Hi, I work in the Transition Center and if you could scan me a copy of your DD214 I would be glad to look at it for you and let you know what to do from there. DD215's memo requests are not difficult if you have the right documentation and I would be more than happy to lead you through it or do it for you. Please send it to my work email.. [email protected] I am an Army Contractor at the Air Force Base. I was working at Walter Reed in the Transition Center. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks Jason! Ms. Dailey, I will be writing you soon, thank you!

If this happens to anyone in the future:

I've been advised that this is an error and that the blocks containing your separation/reentry code (blocks 26 & 27) should match your narrative reason for separation (block 28). The process to fix this would be to fill out a DD Form 149 and send it to the appropriate branch's board listed on the back of the form.

DD Form 149 can be found here:
http://www.pebforum.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=138
or
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf

I'm told this will be corrected in 2 days time. So I'll provide an update for anyone else that has this happen to them.