is va rating permanet?

diablos30

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
i was told that if you have a condition such as back or knees the va could lower your rating if you are not seen for them annually. the person telling me this said that if your not seen then the va considers the medical condition to not be an issue for you any more.

any truth to this?

I believe you are wrong. I was told by the VA rep that they (VA) could re-evaluate and lower your ratings. I was also told this rarly happens.

I believe you are wrong. I was told by the VA rep that they (VA) could re-evaluate and lower your ratings. I was also told this rarly happens.
I have heard the same thing but you have to be re evaluated, i was told by the Docs at the VA Center in DC that for my sleep apnea i would never be reevaluated, and they really never said anything about re evaluation, They did however say that if it got worse then of course go and get it taken care of and if it would be worse then i would be re evaluated for pension and compensation.

I have heard the same thing but you have to be re evaluated, i was told by the Docs at the VA Center in DC that for my sleep apnea i would never be reevaluated, and they really never said anything about re evaluation, They did however say that if it got worse then of course go and get it taken care of and if it would be worse then i would be re evaluated for pension and compensation.

For sleep apnea, they do check that computer chip in the machine to make sure you're actually using it though. And, if you aren't, they will take away that 50% rating for it.

For sleep apnea, they do check that computer chip in the machine to make sure you're actually using it though. And, if you aren't, they will take away that 50% rating for it.

I have never heard that before, even the Doc at the VA Center said, we don't check. So maybe your center will.

I have never heard that before, even the Doc at the VA Center said, we don't check. So maybe your center will.

Yeah, they don't re-evaluate, they just check to make sure you're using it. I've also heard that some people have older machines that don't have the chip in them but everyone that gets a CPAP from now on will definitely have one. We (The group that I attended the briefs with) were warned about this several times and we even had to sign a form saying that we were informed about the chip.

Yeah, they don't re-evaluate, they just check to make sure you're using it. I've also heard that some people have older machines that don't have the chip in them but everyone that gets a CPAP from now on will definitely have one. We (The group that I attended the briefs with) were warned about this several times and we even had to sign a form saying that we were informed about the chip.

I had an appointment last week at the VA and a gentleman had his CPAP machine with him. He stated that they do check the chip and that was what he was there for.

When I got my CPAP last year, it had the chip in it. They told me to take the chip out after 2 weeks and mail it in to them so they could download the data. Based upon the data, they would send me recommendations on adjustments, different mask if I need it, etc.. They send me new hoses and masks like clockwork, but I never got a new chip though. But this was the off-post sleep center that Tricare referred me to (I'm still on active duty) that is handling my stuff, not the VA.

The healthcare organization (Veterans Health Administration) is different from the benefits organization (Veterans Benefits Administration). The two interface at points, but don't confuse a checkup to see how your treatment is working with a decrease in benefits determination. There are specific steps they have to take before reducing a rating. That said, if you are not using your CPAP, this would call into question if it is needed. I still don't think it is cut and dried (i.e., there may be issues with fit of mask, titration of the machine, etc.).