My current org says, "archives record". Does anyone know what that means?[/QUOTE

basically the status of your records once you became a Veteran. Once HRC starts to process your status it will update to show either TDRL or PDRL.

I haven't heard anything at all yet other than my records were being collected last year. I sent my application in March 2017. My case number was skipped over in the last file drop. I got out 10% on my back and 10 on my knee. Most of the back related ones that I've read are denied.

I got my packet today!!! Did anyone get theirs??
just checked my mail and Boom got my packet. The new orders still deny that my injury was LOD or results of injuries sustained during LOD during a period of war. I friggin got injured in the first place IN IRAQ WHILE ON PATROL. anyway will start the process for retirement and all then have to get the records corrected somehow.

Hello, how is everybody? Congrats to those who have received their decisions and may we all be patient for those; myself included to those that have not. My name is Sal, I'm brand new to the forums but here is a brief timeline of my case.
1. February 8th, 2017- case received
2. October 2017- address changed-sent e-mail to update-received e-mail to confirm update
3. February 2018 moved again- got confirmation email back. I (used my work address of which I no longer work at and lost all of my emails from pdbr) In the 17 months I have yet to receive any physucal mail though.
4. June 2018- e-mailed pbdr, for update and they said something about (unfortunately I don't have this email is it was on my former work email) "you're in the final stages and should be receiving something in approximately 120 days."

I have tried to email 3 times in 3 weeks to notify the pdbr that I am no longer using my work email but I have not received any mail nor emails back.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Sal

Hello, how is everybody? Congrats to those who have received their decisions and may we all be patient for those; myself included to those that have not. My name is Sal, I'm brand new to the forums but here is a brief timeline of my case.
1. February 8th, 2017- case received
2. October 2017- address changed-sent e-mail to update-received e-mail to confirm update
3. February 2018 moved again- got confirmation email back. I (used my work address of which I no longer work at and lost all of my emails from pdbr) In the 17 months I have yet to receive any physucal mail though.
4. June 2018- e-mailed pbdr, for update and they said something about (unfortunately I don't have this email is it was on my former work email) "you're in the final stages and should be receiving something in approximately 120 days."

I have tried to email 3 times in 3 weeks to notify the pdbr that I am no longer using my work email but I have not received any mail nor emails back.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Sal

Hello Sal! Welcome to the forums! Mine took around 19 months from when the case was received until I received the letter. Depending on which branch of service you were in, the process after receiving the letter will differ significantly. I was Air Force and time line from receiving the letter the getting orders is still unknown to me, but as you can see on this forum, Army is moving along well after the letter has been received.

Hello Sal! Welcome to the forums! Mine took around 19 months from when the case was received until I received the letter. Depending on which branch of service you were in, the process after receiving the letter will differ significantly. I was Air Force and time line from receiving the letter the getting orders is still unknown to me, but as you can see on this forum, Army is moving along well after the letter has been received.

Thank you for the timely response!

I was in the Coast Guard. We make up probably less than 1% of the cases so who knows how long it will take. I also have no received an e-mail back for several weeks from my last e-mail like so many others. It looks like Army has a reliable contact in Mr. Al but I don't remotely know who would be a contact for the CG.

Thank you for the timely response!

I was in the Coast Guard. We make up probably less than 1% of the cases so who knows how long it will take. I also have no received an e-mail back for several weeks from my last e-mail like so many others. It looks like Army has a reliable contact in Mr. Al but I don't remotely know who would be a contact for the CG.

Not sure on the CG. You are the first one I've seen on here. The Air Force letter we received confirming we will be retired came a phone number for us to call Air Force Personnel Center to start the process.

UPDATE... went to closest National Guard Armory, they have a family services counselor there who helped me set up appointment to get id cards and DEERS update. She is also the local RSO for retirements and after a few calls said she can assist me with the DD2656 and retirement briefings. so Forward progress. will post more info once I go to the brief set up for next week.

I haven't heard anything at all yet other than my records were being collected last year. I sent my application in March 2017. My case number was skipped over in the last file drop. I got out 10% on my back and 10 on my knee. Most of the back related ones that I've read are denied.
I'm in the same boat as you. I sent mine in March 2017 for my back and knee. I'm getting ready to have my 2nd back surgery next month.

Got my ID, my packet is being processed by DFAS. Does anyone know what is the timeline or estimate of when to hear back from them? I used to have a DFAS account as of jan 18, but the closed it out.

Got my ID, my packet is being processed by DFAS. Does anyone know what is the timeline or estimate of when to hear back from them? I used to have a DFAS account as of jan 18, but the closed it out.
My husband ask Mr. Al when he spoke to him. He said any where from 30 days to 90, but usually in 45. We are trying to be optimistic on those dates.

My husband ask Mr. Al when he spoke to him. He said any where from 30 days to 90, but usually in 45. We are trying to be optimistic on those dates.

I wish they would give a straight answer, dfas told me 30 days from the time they received my orders which was 6 July. I was assuming I would hear something by next week.

I wish they would give a straight answer, dfas told me 30 days from the time they received my orders which was 6 July. I was assuming I would hear something by next week.
I'm still waiting on my 2nd packet. Thank you for keeping us updated on your timeline

I'm all finished... almost. My first payment is scheduled on 01AUG. They first received my PDBR request in November of 2016

Here's how the last stretch went for me...

• I got my packet with orders stating that I went from "0% Involuntary Seperation (medical)" to "50% Med Retirement", the following week I went straight to my nearest military base to get a retired ID and to register in DEERS.

• I then immediately went to in/out processing and made an appointment to sit with a staff member that same day. But they said I had to make an appointment.

• About two weeks later (I was in no hurry since I got out in 2004 so what's 2 weeks). I sat down with outprocessing and we filled out my DD2656 which is your retirement insurance paperwork and DFAS electronic payment setup. I had documentation that the VA had already gotten my severance pay recoupment 12 years ago. She wired it all to DFAS right then and there.

• 2 weeks later DFAS sent me 2 statements that week stating what my medical retirement pay would be. The two statements said different things, yet both ignored the fact that my my severance had already been recouped by the VA. . . Nice try, Uncle Sam.

• I got off the phone with DFAS and the VA last Wednesday (25JUL) and I have to call both back after the VA resends my recoupment letter to both myself and DFAS. Apparently my letter wasn't good enough. The VA said, when I pull the letter out of my mailbox DFAS will already have the faxed version. If they say they didn't, no worries, I will already have a fresh one in my hand at the ready.
SO ... what I do know is that my 50% medical retirement is $290 more than my 70% VA disability, not including the $50 per month DFAS wants to withhold for recoupment.

Bottom line, I get $X from the VA that I always get plus an additional $290 from the Army ($340 when the VA verifies my recoupment status).

What I also need to find out is exactly how much back pay I'm supposed to get.

Welp! I'm finished the process, the check is in the mail (electronically speaking).

So really... it's all over except for the yellin'.

Thank you soo much for that. I seem to have skipped a step. Not sure if I can do an in/out process at a AF base (prior Army) But I will check and see.

Thank you soo much for that. I seem to have skipped a step. Not sure if I can do an in/out process at a AF base (prior Army) But I will check and see.

You can do it at any branch that handles in/out processing and retirement out processing, from what I was told, even Coast Guard. But I live in DC so you can't throw a rock without it landing over a fence on post.

Us AF were required to go to an AF base or if we lived more then 50 miles from an AF base we had to wait and complete over phone, emails, notarize DD2656 and send back certified. I live 40 miles from a Navy base and I was told "nope can't go there". Not sure why, seeing how this is a standard DD form? Maybe the Army will let you go anywhere?

The DD2656 is the very first step in the AF process. Just now got that done. Looking at months, from other AF on the forums, til see orders I am guessing.

I'm all finished... almost. My first payment is scheduled on 01AUG. They first received my PDBR request in November of 2016

Here's how the last stretch went for me...

• I got my packet with orders stating that I went from "0% Involuntary Seperation (medical)" to "50% Med Retirement", the following week I went straight to my nearest military base to get a retired ID and to register in DEERS.

• I then immediately went to in/out processing and made an appointment to sit with a staff member that same day. But they said I had to make an appointment.

• About two weeks later (I was in no hurry since I got out in 2004 so what's 2 weeks). I sat down with outprocessing and we filled out my DD2656 which is your retirement insurance paperwork and DFAS electronic payment setup. I had documentation that the VA had already gotten my severance pay recoupment 12 years ago. She wired it all to DFAS right then and there.

• 2 weeks later DFAS sent me 2 statements that week stating what my medical retirement pay would be. The two statements said different things, yet both ignored the fact that my my severance had already been recouped by the VA. . . Nice try, Uncle Sam.

• I got off the phone with DFAS and the VA last Wednesday (25JUL) and I have to call both back after the VA resends my recoupment letter to both myself and DFAS. Apparently my letter wasn't good enough. The VA said, when I pull the letter out of my mailbox DFAS will already have the faxed version. If they say they didn't, no worries, I will already have a fresh one in my hand at the ready.
SO ... what I do know is that my 50% medical retirement is $290 more than my 70% VA disability, not including the $50 per month DFAS wants to withhold for recoupment.

Bottom line, I get $X from the VA that I always get plus an additional $290 from the Army ($340 when the VA verifies my recoupment status).

What I also need to find out is exactly how much back pay I'm supposed to get.

Welp! I'm finished the process, the check is in the mail (electronically speaking).

So really... it's all over except for the yellin'.
Amazing, Congratulations! When did PDBR receive your original packet? How long have you been going through this? Today is 17 months for me.

Amazing, Congratulations! When did PDBR receive your original packet? How long have you been going through this? Today is 17 months for me.

In my first sentence... I mailed my packet in October of 2016... The second week of November 2016 I got the letter acknowledging receipt of my pdbr and that it was eligible for review.

So in all, 17 months from acknowledgment of my packet to the decision and new orders hitting my doorstep. Then another 4 months after that -- to get your ID, all of your data sent out and squared away within the pay system, and the first payment hitting your account.

All that is done but I STILL have minor details left to sort out..

Last edited:
I have a stupid question. Now that my husband is going to have a medical retirement, does he give up all his VA? I mean the issues he has now, not the issues he was discharged from and now retired from? SO all those issues he will no longer be paid for by the VA? (I hope this makes sense)