MEB vs chpater 5-17

es2330

Registered Member
How's it going guys. I'm a soldier who's been in for almost 3 yrs.

I'm in a situation where i got injured while i moved to line company, I had to run 6miles in 7mins pace when i run 16mins 2miles, ruck run every friday(had couple heat casualties everytime), and had leg joint

pain started from division run all after.

Since infantry did their things, not letting me go to tmc, mocking me for having profile, tell me to suck it up cuz it is only muscle soreness etc, i started feeling depressed and went to BH. First meeting, BH

recommended me 5-17 and i said yeah i wanna get out, and that was this FEB.

Commander was pushing it forward, and i felt like a cold turkey being thrown in the street cuz i was hurting,

so i was thinking of MEB, but my PCM said there is no evidence to push MEB, i agreed, and BH was saying dont fight the army to get MEB and stuff.

I kind of felt like both sides try to deny me for MEB.

So i've been to treatment, from ibuprofen, muscle relaxer, lidocane patches, physical therapy(from here my back started hurting more) and so on, and finally after 6 months got my MRI done for my back, and

found something on my back which is possibly causing me pain on both of my back and leg.

It says

Disc desiccation is seen at L2-L3 and L4-L5. Schmorl's nodes are seen at L1-L2 and L3-L4. THe conus medullaries terminates at the L1 level. Vertebral body height and alignment are maintained.

an Oval focus of bright T1 and T2 signal is seen leftward in the L3 vertbral body on sagittal image4,5 mm in greatest dimension, compatible with a hemagioma. Axial images reveal the following findings at the

following levels:
L1-L2: No siginificant disease.

L2-L3: No siginificant disease.

L3-L4:No siginificant disease.

L4-L5: A broad-based disc bulge is present with a small superimposed central annular tear. Mild central canal stenosis and mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing result.

L5-S1: No siginificant disease.

Impression: Mild, multilevel lumbar disc disease, greatest at L4-L5.

and it says DJD.

I also do have both of my feet getting numb and tingle when i walk or do eliptical for more than 10 mins, dull pain on all over my back including C-spine, have my hands and feet get cold on and off.

Also find it hard to completely empty my bladder when peeing.

Had a talk with my PCM, saying it isn't that bad, most of people have this, not in MEB criteria so he will give me profile for now, and if it doesnt get better,

he will refer me to pain management, get treatment for 3-4months, then possibly surgery or no surgery, which maximize my treatment. then he said he can refer me for MEB.

To be honest, i do not know what MRI really is saying but i'm just in pain and feel like the treatment is being dragged over time and waitting till the chapter goes through before MEB.

I'm planning to talk to my CO that i wanna keep the treatment going for now and don't want chapter but MEB.

I also want to have some opinion on my symptoms if it isn't really MEB criteria or not.

would it be better to ask my PCM if i can get second opinion from offpost?

Please give me some advice and tell me if you guys have any idea what i should do.

Last edited:

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If the PCM won't do the referral for the board then it's DOA. Your PCM number one priority is you getting treatment not about which chapter you want to get. You never said before that you initially agreed to the 5-17.... not sure your commander will switch it but he will talk to the PCM who already doesn't support it so now you're back at 5-17 OR continued service.

es2330

Registered Member
If the PCM won't do the referral for the board then it's DOA. Your PCM number one priority is you getting treatment not about which chapter you want to get. You never said before that you initially agreed to the 5-17.... not sure your commander will switch it but he will talk to the PCM who already doesn't support it so now you're back at 5-17 OR continued service.
I haven't signed any paper works yet. i've done phase1, and first SFL-TAP class. that is it. So would you say it is up to CO's decision?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">