Mental Health C&P Exam Questions

SGT Bob

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have a copy of my mental health C&P exam FINALLY and the diagnoses is as follows;

296.33 Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Severe without psychotic features.

Memory

Remote Memory: Normal
Recent Memory: Mildly Impaired
Immediate Memory: Mildly Impaired

MMPI-2 was administered - It is noteworthy for extreme elevations on scales 1, 2, and 3. This pattern is often referred to as "conversion V" referring to the tendency of the individual to "convert" psychological disturbances into a preoccupation with physical functioning (huh?), to a degree which exceeds what might be a normal focus in the possible presence of very significant medical issues.

In addition to the significant elevation on scale 2 (depression scale), this profile reveals the presence of a sorely depleted reservoir of emotional energy (Man, that sure is true). This scale configuration is associated with a diagnosis of a major depressive disorder. This configuration also indicates the presence of disturbed, ruminative thought processes, as well as vulnerability to excessive use of alcohol. Individuals producing this profile acknowledge that life is a strain, and admit to feelings of depression and despair. They report difficulties with concentration and memory (absolutely) and acknowledge that they worry excessively...

Comment on validity of results: Valid.

GAF score: 53.

Is there total occupational and social impairment due to mental disorder signs and symptoms? No.

If there is not total occupational and social impairment, do mental disorder signs and symptoms result in deficiencies in the following areas; Judgment, thinking, family relations, work, mood or school? No. (SERIOUSLY???)

Is there reduced reliability and productivity due to mental disorder symptoms? Yes.

Examples and pertinent symptoms: The service member is vulnerable to impairments of attention, concentration and short-term memory. He is frequently preoccupied with disturbed, ruminative thought processes. His preoccupation with physical symptoms and concern about his future fuel his depressed mood.

Does the patient have panic attacks? Yes.
Frequency, severity, duration and effects of functioning; The patient reports periodic panic attacks. More than once per week.

Is there presence of suicidal thoughts? Yes.

Attention: Attention disturbance (Easily distracted), attention disturbance (Short attention span).

Based on the VASRD, I'm not sure if this means a rating of 30% or 50%. Any feedback or questions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a copy of my mental health C&P exam FINALLY and the diagnoses is as follows;

296.33 Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Severe without psychotic features.

Memory

Remote Memory: Normal
Recent Memory: Mildly Impaired
Immediate Memory: Mildly Impaired

MMPI-2 was administered - It is noteworthy for extreme elevations on scales 1, 2, and 3. This pattern is often referred to as "conversion V" referring to the tendency of the individual to "convert" psychological disturbances into a preoccupation with physical functioning (huh?), to a degree which exceeds what might be a normal focus in the possible presence of very significant medical issues.

In addition to the significant elevation on scale 2 (depression scale), this profile reveals the presence of a sorely depleted reservoir of emotional energy (Man, that sure is true). This scale configuration is associated with a diagnosis of a major depressive disorder. This configuration also indicates the presence of disturbed, ruminative thought processes, as well as vulnerability to excessive use of alcohol. Individuals producing this profile acknowledge that life is a strain, and admit to feelings of depression and despair. They report difficulties with concentration and memory (absolutely) and acknowledge that they worry excessively...

Comment on validity of results: Valid.

GAF score: 53.

Is there total occupational and social impairment due to mental disorder signs and symptoms? No.

If there is not total occupational and social impairment, do mental disorder signs and symptoms result in deficiencies in the following areas; Judgment, thinking, family relations, work, mood or school? No. (SERIOUSLY???)

Is there reduced reliability and productivity due to mental disorder symptoms? Yes.

Examples and pertinent symptoms: The service member is vulnerable to impairments of attention, concentration and short-term memory. He is frequently preoccupied with disturbed, ruminative thought processes. His preoccupation with physical symptoms and concern about his future fuel his depressed mood.

Does the patient have panic attacks? Yes.
Frequency, severity, duration and effects of functioning; The patient reports periodic panic attacks. More than once per week.

Is there presence of suicidal thoughts? Yes.

Attention: Attention disturbance (Easily distracted), attention disturbance (Short attention span).

Based on the VASRD, I'm not sure if this means a rating of 30% or 50%. Any feedback or questions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would check the VASRD and see where and how many of your "Pertinent" symptoms fit into either the 30% and 50% scale.

Also, if you are in the IDES process, have you been checked by the VA/QTC mental health folks and given a diagnosis? Is your above diagnosis an Army diagnosis or a VA diagnosis? Have you been seen by the VA for MH issues prior to your C&P exams?

I understand the VA is the agency who will give you your rating percentage for this. So between what the Army will report as their evaluation and what the VA reports will all carry some weight.

v/r,
nwlivewire

I would check the VASRD and see where and how many of your "Pertinent" symptoms fit into either the 30% and 50% scale.

Also, if you are in the IDES process, have you been checked by the VA/QTC mental health folks and given a diagnosis? Is your above diagnosis an Army diagnosis or a VA diagnosis? Have you been seen by the VA for MH issues prior to your C&P exams?

I understand the VA is the agency who will give you your rating percentage for this. So between what the Army will report as their evaluation and what the VA reports will all carry some weight.

v/r,
nwlivewire

This was the VA exam. I was being seen (and still am) by Army behavioral health. The Army diagnosed me with adaptive disorder and depressed mood but the VA was much more in depth and accurate in my opinion. I am in the IDES process.

What is throwing me of between the 30 and 50% rating is that the 50% rating has panic attacks listed in it, which I have periodically, and the 30% rating does not. The 30% description is closer to my symptoms but then you throw in the panic attacks and it's closer to 50%...I guess it's a grey area and could go either way...who knows.

This was the VA exam. I was being seen (and still am) by Army behavioral health. The Army diagnosed me with adaptive disorder and depressed mood but the VA was much more in depth and accurate in my opinion. I am in the IDES process.

What is throwing me of between the 30 and 50% rating is that the 50% rating has panic attacks listed in it, which I have periodically, and the 30% rating does not. The 30% description is closer to my symptoms but then you throw in the panic attacks and it's closer to 50%...I guess it's a grey area and could go either way...who knows.

Understand.

The Army wrote on my psych re-evaluation at Ft. Lewis that I experience panic attacks less than once per week. So I figure my rating on the new re-eval will be low for their "new and improved" "Re-Evaluation Fusion Cell" diagnosis of MDD.

And STILL. The Army is STILL in diagnostic denial regarding my PTSD, although I have been rated by the VA with it and have TWO civilian shrink assessments that say I fit the PTSD category.

What frosts me is that the female Army General, who testified before Senator Patty Murray - well, she told Sen. Murray that the Army uses the same standards for diagnosis of PTSD as is in the US diagnostic standard.

BUT, IMHO, while the Army may use the same method, the Army shrinks nevertheless use a very narrow "intrepretation" of the criteria in their use of this "Diagnostic STANDARD". That's how the Army is getting around this issue now - even with the "fusion cell" at Ft. Lewis.

PLUS, my experience with the "Fusion Cell" Re-Evaluation is that they are doing a form of TDRL type re-evaluation. Their re-evaluation is based upon the DAY you are with THEM, and they are NOT diagnosing you at how you were at the time you went through the original mis-diagnosis time frame when you went through the IDES process for all your MH issues. They tell you they have read your psych records, spent hours doing so, then STILL refuse to accept civilian records you bring with you KNOW they don't have due to HIPPA, and then they evaluate you as to how you are that very day you see them.

Another issue added to the mix.

Finally, IF you do get a diagnosis of something anywhere close to accurate, then good luck on the wait time it will take to add it to your Army rating, PULHES, and retirement paycheck. I'm due to discharge in 2 weeks, so I will have to go through the PEBLO/ARMY approval wait time, the BCMR wait time, the VA wait time, and the DFAS wait time before I ever see the additional rating dollars on my retirement pay. Could be another 18 months for this additional diagnosis to make any monetary difference to me. And if it does make a little difference, it will be retro, but without interest for all the months of time waiting for it.

Holy Cow!

I am glad I did go through the Fusion Cell process. It was the principle of it that mattered more to me when the Army screwed me over the first time out of ALL MH issues. The Army will also have to change my Permanent Profile PULHES from an "S" 1 to an "S" 3. At least they finally picked one of three diagnosises that was somewhat correct this time - and though low-balled - at least they hit the paper target this time - though still outside any countable mark.

v/r,
nwlivewire

Sgt Bob,
I was diagnosed with MDD, Chronic, Moderate by the VA 8 years after discharge with a service connection. They gave me 50%. Hope this helps.

Art

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have my C&P Mental Health exam by the VA coming up soon just wanted to know how is the exam? Just wanted to know what to expect.

I have my C&P Mental Health exam by the VA coming up soon just wanted to know how is the exam? Just wanted to know what to expect.
This thread is four years old. I recommend starting your own new thread tell us about yourself what branch of service, active reserve or guard, what are your diagnosis and symptoms, etc. the more details you give the better we can guide you.