mental health notes release question

why would a mental health provider not allow a patient to see the mental health notes or narsum addendum right up?
Mi board is waiting now for 2 weeks for the one base mental health provider to transfer my off nase notes into the military system. Toe seems a no brained. I requested a copy but was denied 1 cause it still isn't done amd 2 "they don't release them to the patients"
Don't I jave a right to it?
Anyone else in a situation like this?

why would a mental health provider not allow a patient to see the mental health notes or narsum addendum right up?
Mi board is waiting now for 2 weeks for the one base mental health provider to transfer my off nase notes into the military system. Toe seems a no brained. I requested a copy but was denied 1 cause it still isn't done amd 2 "they don't release them to the patients"
Don't I jave a right to it?
Anyone else in a situation like this?

Unfortunately, any mental health provider can issue a "denial" response to a patient's request for medical documentation. This is for their safety as well as your own.

Moreover, dependent upon the specific medical condition diagnoses and/or the specific information revealed during the medical session/appointment, it could be determined that the information is potentially damaging to others. Yes, I know it sound "wrong" because it's your information but there is absolutely nothing you can do.

With that all said, I would offer that you contact the mental health provider and make an inquiry as to why he/she won't approve your request for medical records? Upon making your inquiry, I suggest that you ask if it possible for them to "streamline out" the portion(s) which they feel makes the medical documentation unreleasable (i.e., highlight with a permanent black marker).

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!

Wow so they migjt be afraid I'd loose it on them or myself based on what they put down..
Don't know if that's a good thing or they're royaly screwing me over and think I would go ape sh!t if I knew..
This whole process is complete cra p.

Thanks for the info!

Mental Health denied me mine and I had to fight like crazy to get them. I went to the HIPAA office at my hospital and had a long talk with them. They finally sat up an appointment with everyone and we reviewed my records with me present, I then got a copy as well. It is true that they are concerned about how you will react to what they wrote or you won't understand.

I found this with a quick search of the internet. I looked under HIPAA and release of patient records.
Under HIPPA, patients have a right to request copies of their medical records with some exceptions. A patient cannot request and expect to receive information such as notes from a psychotherapy session or information gathered for a legal case. In addition, a facility has the authority to deny a patient access to his medical records when the release of information can harm him or someone else.

So could they be trying to build a legal case or think I will harm someone.
Jeep freak what was tje outcome for you? Were they trying to screw you or concerend about your health?

I just have no trust in anyone at on base medical.

Wow so they migjt be afraid I'd loose it on them or myself based on what they put down..
Don't know if that's a good thing or they're royaly screwing me over and think I would go ape sh!t if I knew..
This whole process is complete cra p.

Thanks for the info!

You are welcome! :) -> Thus, :(!

They were concern that I would not understand what they were saying plus they claimed I had somatization disorder. They may have been concern for their safety, I don't know because I'm not a violent person. Yes I got angry but I also believed they were right to some extent. I don’t believe they were trying to screw me because initially they weren’t going to include it in my board.

Somatization disorder is basically unfound pain caused by stress and could eventually kill you. They felt my chest, jaw and other pains were from stress. That's their view and probably should have gotten me a higher rating like everyone is telling me now. What they over looked is there was evidence for some of what they claimed were imaginary pain.

I would fight for your records and try not to get to angry or upset about what they say. Blowing up isn’t going to get you anything except more trouble. Seriously, this is all subjective information that they are gathering from you. If you don’t agree with them you can always ask for a second opinion.

Hugh food for thought.
Thing that gets me is I brought and handed the on base doc my off base notes so it could be put into my narsum addendum. Should be no brainer. Copy and paste. Here I am 2 weeks later and its not done and suddenly I can't see it.
What evet this whole process has been a circus act and I'm so fed up with it.
My va package has been sitting waiting almost 2 months for the dod to catch up....
The base here is a bunch of ass hats if you ask me.