My MEB, PEB, AFBCMR experience. 4 years running now...

eps17

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
A little background.

Local MEB at Travis AFB for PTSD/MDD; Recommended Return to Duty (Sep 2010)

Upon review by AFPC; Recommendation of Return to Duty Denied (Oct 2010)

IPEB Results; Discharge with Severance Pay, MDD at 10%, not combat related (Nov 2010)

FPEB Results; Went to Lackland, declined FPEB due to a last minute change of legal counsel and missing medical records; Accepted IPEB findings (Jan 2011)

Medically Discharged with Severance Pay; (May 2011)

Contacted NVLSP in 2013; 9 months later assigned an attorney.

Submitted AFBCMR request in May of 2014 just shy of the 3 year statute of limitations.

Received favorable AFBCMR decision in October 2015. PDRL at 70% for PTSD, not combat related.

It is now Mar 2016 and the Air Force has yet to contact me beyond the AFBCMR decision. I have had to progressively contact individual offices and explain the AFBCMR decision and provide copies of it in order to receive a blue retired ID card. The only reason I received retirement orders is because of the Air Force Wounded Warrior Office in January of 2016. Still no updated copy of my DD Form 214, retirement certificate, or anything else. I will not receive retirement pay based on VA offset. My severance pay was never recouped also and nobody appears to know why or how that is possible.

Just thought I'd provide a little update for those who didn't have the best MEB experience and end to their career like I did!

A little background.

Local MEB at Travis AFB for PTSD/MDD; Recommended Return to Duty (Sep 2010)

Upon review by AFPC; Recommendation of Return to Duty Denied (Oct 2010)

IPEB Results; Discharge with Severance Pay, MDD at 10%, not combat related (Nov 2010)

FPEB Results; Went to Lackland, declined FPEB due to a last minute change of legal counsel and missing medical records; Accepted IPEB findings (Jan 2011)

Medically Discharged with Severance Pay; (May 2011)

Contacted NVLSP in 2013; 9 months later assigned an attorney.

Submitted AFBCMR request in May of 2014 just shy of the 3 year statute of limitations.

Received favorable AFBCMR decision in October 2015. PDRL at 70% for PTSD, not combat related.

It is now Mar 2016 and the Air Force has yet to contact me beyond the AFBCMR decision. I have had to progressively contact individual offices and explain the AFBCMR decision and provide copies of it in order to receive a blue retired ID card. The only reason I received retirement orders is because of the Air Force Wounded Warrior Office in January of 2016. Still no updated copy of my DD Form 214, retirement certificate, or anything else. I will not receive retirement pay based on VA offset. My severance pay was never recouped also and nobody appears to know why or how that is possible.

Just thought I'd provide a little update for those who didn't have the best MEB experience and end to their career like I did!

I admire your fortitude. You definitely are not letting the system shut the door on you. They train us to fight, not sure why they are so surprised when we start throwing elbows. I hope that your severance situation gets worked out!

Thank you. The best part is they always tell me to be patient.

I think I've been pretty patient given I went from return to duty, IPEB, FPEB, discharge with severance, and then to PDRL retirement at 70% with no questions asked and the submission of my AFBCMR application!

Gee, you wouldn't think that the old system was messed up or that they messed up given the outcomes? Nah...not the Air Force.

How would the severance be recouped? Would they continue to take it from your VA payment every month? I was wondering this if you initially get separated w/ severance then later get placed on PDRL.

I have no idea at all what-so-ever. I was medically discharged for MDD; but I wasn't rated for MDD by the VA I was rated for PTSD - so technically I didn't get paid for the same disability twice so they don't have to recoup/withhold. At least that's how I interpret it.

Let us all know if you find anything out outside of this forum, it would be good information for people that are initially separated w/ severance to have.

Will do. But yea, the AFBCMR takes FOREVER.