Need Help - CRSC Award Letter....

Seems to me, from what I can tell, you should have been awarded CRSC based on PTSD. It may be that I/we don't have all the facts to see what is really going on.
I agree with that assessment. Recommend you submit an appeal to the Board for Correction of Naval Records. Whether you choose an attorney to assist you with the appeal is your choice of course.

With regard to contacting one's representatives in congress, just my opinion, but I doubt if that would be helpful in this particular case. A staff member of the representative's office will contact the Navy and the Navy will have the Board write a reply that explains the process and point out that the decision was objective and that the members of the board mutually supported the final decision. That reply will be the basis for the Navy's position and what you receive from the office of your representative.

I wrote several replies in response to congressional inquiries during my Army career. That is not an accomplishment, just an experience. Not one of he inquiries resulted in a change of what we had done in computing pay or determining eligibility for a certain allowance. That of course, is different from an assessment of combat related status. However, I suspect the Navy can justify their decision as it would have been easier to approve the CRSC than deny it. The board or the Navy does not benefit in any way from denying an application.

Note: It is my understanding that the Navy board is not a contractor, unlike the Army.

Good luck in going forward.

corey17a

I apologize for not telling you soon enough - your post/response is the best single bit of advise I’ve heard in a really long time.

It took days to write this and as I remain short for words, thank you.
Your post is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for the eye opener and motivation.

And to everyone else,
Thank you for this forum and to all who take time out of of their day to provide any bit, ANY BIT - of guidance/wisdom/knowledge/experience - to those when asked. Thank you.

Update:

I stayed up till 0400 drafting an email to my congressional district representative. I expressed my concerns and shared that’d I’d still be active duty if it wasn’t for what took place in Afghanistan.
I’d like to share those words however, I will only be doing so once I get to a definite outcome of this situation.

As always, I’ll continue to pay it forward by updating this thread.

Update:

I’ll try to keep this as short/simple as possible.

So I drafted a letter to my district representative and I got a response within 72 hours.
First contact made was to fill out a privacy form along with sending other documents I felt were import for whoever was going to help me out. I didn’t exactly know what to expect, but at this point since they are asking me to sign a privacy form, it felt like a positive step forward.
So few days go by and contact is made again. The representative office aide asked me a few questions about my case. Now I feel a little set back considering the questions asked were all in the original email and in the documents I sent.
The next day or two, the same aide gives me a call but for whatever reason, I didn’t get it and it went strait to voice mail. After listening, I realized these people don’t really care or just not really familiar with my request (or reading emails w/attachments). The lady kept insisting that I have an open VA claim and that the claim number would be helpful. Needless to say, I didn’t call back. Instead, I shot an email and politely advised that the information requested is all in the documents I’ve already sent and that my request has nothing to do with the VA.
I then later get a response that they are unable to help me. My response was basically ‘very well, thank you for your time and I no longer request help from the office of my representative.’ Within the next few days, I received a few calls with a D.C. area code, but I didn’t answer....nor return the calls.

The only other option I saw was to obtain a lawyer. I reached out to a few local ones and it turns out it’s super expensive. Too expensive for me at the moment.

I then reached out to a few pro bono veteran lawyers. I got the ball rolling on 2 then quickly learned it could take a year before anything would have moved forward.

I then decided to contact the CRSC board. Again.I voiced my concerns while relieving some frustration, but kept it very professional and direct. Very direct. It took about a week to write....
The response explained why I received a CRSC rating for my tinnitus (instrument of war) and clearly defined how the board looks at these requests by outlining how their determination is different from the others (VA/OJAG). He strongly suggested I get a statement backed by my OIC or Senior SNCO that I had st the time of event. So I did just that.

Yesterday, roughly a week after I submitted the statement, I received a notification that my PTSD has been rated at 70% CRSC and back dated to the date of retirement.

It’s been an entire year dealing with the IDES attorney, OJAG and submitting/resubmitting documentation to everyone and the CRSC board.
My only suggestion to anyone is to be persistent, direct, professional, very humble, always ask the ‘why’ and realize that at any moment he/she can say ‘enough-is-enough’, and direct your to contact (in my case) Naval board of corrections.

Thank you everyone for the advice and guidance.

Update:

So I drafted a letter to my district representative and I got a response within 72 hours.
First contact made was to fill out a privacy form along with sending other documents I felt were import for whoever was going to help me out. I didn’t exactly know what to expect, but at this point since they are asking me to sign a privacy form, it felt like a positive step forward.
So few days go by and contact is made again. The representative office aide asked me a few questions about my case. Now I feel a little set back considering the questions asked were all in the original email and in the documents I sent.
The next day or two, the same aide gives me a call but for whatever reason, I didn’t get it and it went strait to voice mail. After listening, I realized these people don’t really care or just not really familiar with my request (or reading emails w/attachments). The lady kept insisting that I have an open VA claim and that the claim number would be helpful. Needless to say, I didn’t call back. Instead, I shot an email and politely advised that the information requested is all in the documents I’ve already sent and that my request has nothing to do with the VA.
I then later get a response that they are unable to help me. My response was basically ‘very well, thank you for your time and I no longer request help from the office of my representative.’ Within the next few days, I received a few calls with a D.C. area code, but I didn’t answer....nor return the calls.

The only other option I saw was to obtain a lawyer. I reached out to a few local ones and it turns out it’s super expensive. Too expensive for me at the moment.

I then reached out to a few pro bono veteran lawyers. I got the ball rolling on 2 then quickly learned it could take a year before anything would have moved forward.

I then decided to contact the CRSC board. Again.I voiced my concerns while relieving some frustration, but kept it very professional and direct. Very direct. It took about a week to write....
The response explained why I received a CRSC rating for my tinnitus (instrument of war) and clearly defined how the board looks at these requests by outlining how their determination is different from the others (VA/OJAG). He strongly suggested I get a statement backed by my OIC or Senior SNCO that I had st the time of event. So I did just that.

Yesterday, roughly a week after I submitted the statement, I received a notification that my PTSD has been rated at 70% CRSC and back dated to the date of retirement.

It’s been an entire year dealing with the IDES attorney, OJAG and submitting/resubmitting documentation to everyone and the CRSC board.
My only suggestion to anyone is to be persistent, direct, professional, very humble, always ask the ‘why’ and realize that at any moment he/she can say ‘enough-is-enough’, and direct your to contact (in my case) Naval board of corrections.

Congratulations Brother!

Do not give up. Your letter above stating that PTSD was due to a rocket attack is pretty straight forward. Fight man.

Get your Congressman involved. There are pro-bono lawyers out there just for this.

Do not let Monday morning quarterbacking illiterates beat you. Your career ended because you stayed in and served faithfully. You are not asking for anything that has not been duelly earned. It is the law. Our Government should not have CRSC if they are not prepared to follow through on their own programs.

Think of how many welfare recipients and college students receive benefits they have done nothing for. Fight Brother. You have nothing to lose.
It’s just ridiculous how we as veterans have to have to fight so hard for we all deserve I just don’t get it and others take the governments money and won’t even give two thoughts about serving.

I have a combat action ribbon and was involved in numerous incidents. Unfortunately, the medical never wrote up anything in my injuries while it was medically required chronology. They did as much as possible to conceal the injuries incurred in combat. How can I prove anything other than sworn testimony? All my medical conditions are an instrumentality of war, my records are so screwed up the VA has my conditions as regular service period incurred. I gotta get this all fixed, help anybody?

CRSC, General Information.

This organization assists retirees with their applications and reconsiderations.
LINK to NVLSP which assists with CRSC matters <——

The USMC/Navy CRSC website is at <—-LINK to USMC/Navy CRSC

Per the Army: Do not summit
Medical records that do not pertain to a combat-related disability or do not state a cause. (i.e. hurt right knee with no history of trauma" or "playing basketball and hurt right knee") Electronic media, EKGs, lab slips, dental records, Personal or Buddy statements.

More Army:
Send to CRSC copies of DD 214/215s, as well as All VA-rating decisions including the VA letter, the VA rating decisions and the VA code sheets, Medical Records from MTF or VA physicians only, unless referred to a private physician by the VA, other typical official documents include, service medical record extracts, military personnel file extracts, military personnel data system printouts, prior military disability board decisions, line of duty determinations, safety mishap (accident) reports, next of kin notification (Western Union Telegrams), casualty reports, morning reports, duty status reports, order/travel voucher, official documents not in the military personnel record, etc. Be sure to retain a copy for Soldier's records [last sentence apparently for board members].

Note: I have never seen a service-specific manual which outlines the CRSC board procedures. It is my opinion that the VA award documents and the
codes assigned are one of the most important elements of an application.

See
M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 6, Section D - Codesheet Section
Link <—-

Ron

Last edited:
Addendum to post 27 above.

Ref:
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63 * October 2017

63052. Other Combat-Related Disabilities
A combat-related disability is a disability with an assigned medical diagnosis code from the VASRD. The Military Departments will determine whether a disability is combat-related based on the following criteria:

A. As a direct result of armed conflict,
B. While engaged in hazardous service,
C. In the performance of duty under conditions simulating war, or
D. Through an instrumentality of war.
The Department will record for each disability determined to be combat-related which of the circumstances provided qualifies the disability as combat-related. A determination of combat- relatedness (see section 6306) will be made with respect to each separate disability with an assigned medical diagnosis code from the VASRD. A retiree may have disabilities that are not combat-related. Such disabilities will not be considered in determining eligibility for CRSC or the amount of CRSC payable. An uncorroborated statement in a record that a disability is combat- related will not, by itself, be considered determinative for purposes of meeting the combat-related standards for CRSC prescribed herein. CRSC determinations must be made on the basis of the program criteria.

——
Recommend contacting the following:

This organization assists retirees with their applications and reconsiderations.
LINK to NVLSP which assists with CRSC matters <——

Ron

Guns N Stuff,

You have a combat action ribbon. See what the narrative for your recommendation says as the reasoning for your award. It would be a good starting place. Also always approach everything with this process with the criteria that Ron has listed above. You have to prove your rating was the result of combat. Duty related is not the same thing. You want to prove combat related.

Firstly I think you know that getting your records straightened out should come first. CRSC has to have evidence put in front of them that can prove your conditions were a result of combat. With gathering evidence start organizing your claim around specific incidents.

Ron has some great info above. Each branch has differing levels of stringency. Think of this as being similar to going to court and being a lawyer. It does not matter that you know you are right. What matters is that you are able to prove your case and be able to convince someone else that you are right.

I would glean what you can from your records. Find any bit of information and try and support it. Gather sworn statements from people with you when you were injured. Having someone from your chain of command is more valuable than from a buddy.

Above all be patient, methodical, and determined. This will take some time. Try to see if this forum has a current timeline for your branch. Some branches are slower and some faster as far as processing. Again some are more stringent when it comes to the level of proof required. Be prepared to use everything at your disposal to include congressional representatives and lawyers if needed.

Post your concerns and questions on this forum. There are a bunch of people here to help. Be determined and be prepared to overcome what is put in front of you and never give up. CRSC is something that is there for you because you did what most others were unable or unwilling to do.

Read previous posts. On this thread contains several cases of success with CRSC. Read these and see what worked and what didn’t.

Good luck and keep us up to date as you proceed. Hope this helped.

Very Respectfully,
Corey

Guns N Stuff,

You have a combat action ribbon. See what the narrative for your recommendation says as the reasoning for your award. It would be a good starting place. Also always approach everything with this process with the criteria that Ron has listed above. You have to prove your rating was the result of combat. Duty related is not the same thing. You want to prove combat related.

Firstly I think you know that getting your records straightened out should come first. CRSC has to have evidence put in front of them that can prove your conditions were a result of combat. With gathering evidence start organizing your claim around specific incidents.

Ron has some great info above. Each branch has differing levels of stringency. Think of this as being similar to going to court and being a lawyer. It does not matter that you know you are right. What matters is that you are able to prove your case and be able to convince someone else that you are right.

I would glean what you can from your records. Find any bit of information and try and support it. Gather sworn statements from people with you when you were injured. Having someone from your chain of command is more valuable than from a buddy.

Above all be patient, methodical, and determined. This will take some time. Try to see if this forum has a current timeline for your branch. Some branches are slower and some faster as far as processing. Again some are more stringent when it comes to the level of proof required. Be prepared to use everything at your disposal to include congressional representatives and lawyers if needed.

Post your concerns and questions on this forum. There are a bunch of people here to help. Be determined and be prepared to overcome what is put in front of you and never give up. CRSC is something that is there for you because you did what most others were unable or unwilling to do.

Read previous posts. On this thread contains several cases of success with CRSC. Read these and see what worked and what didn’t.

Good luck and keep us up to date as you proceed. Hope this helped.

Very Respectfully,
Corey
Thanks for your reply. I was infantry, most (well) all my injuries are either from direct combat or simulated under the rules for CRSC. My problem is that I had a very toxic command (criminal with all respects) and they barely wrote up medical records. I have all the injuries, all I can do is plea. I have reported after combat on DD 2807-1 and some other places but the command was so bad they lied (medical) and wrote injuries occurred some time else or such. Seriously, seriously criminal. I have a ton of facts from the records which proves what they did was wrong and to support myself. I have the injuries and continued care. I was infantry with a CAR. I definitely will need people all around on this forum too include an atty. to help sort all of this out. It hurts just writing about this, if I went public and everyone saw just how bad my command was and what they did to neglect my health and such nobody would even go sign up for the military (figuratively) because it is so severe. I do have the facts. I understand the court of law. Like yourself, and anybody else who will be willing to help me out once I reach this phase, it will be greatly appreciated. I keep telling vets before the Concurrent Receipt thing senior enlisted or officer made sure you wouldn't get any benefits because to them you would get money and they wouldn't. That is how the train of thought was, it was bad, it was real. Those times, a lot of service members got screwed over. I will fight all of this until I die. Until it is fixed!

BTW, I had nothing but problems with NVLSP. I waited a year and a half thinking my case was being worked on after everything was accepted (package), looks like nobody even bothered to read through and I get non reason refer email. I would not recommend using this organization as in total they wasted two years of my life where I could have just retained an atty. and or found other resources.

Last edited:
Re: “I keep telling vets before the Concurrent Receipt thing senior enlisted or officer made sure you wouldn't get any benefits because to them you would get money and they wouldn't. That is how the train of thought was, it was bad, it was real. Those times, a lot of service members got screwed over. I will fight all of this until I die. Until it is fixed!”

I believe you qualify for CRSC based on the info you provided. I wish success for you.

Another matter...
We each are entitled to our opinions; however, as a former First Sergeant and Sergeant Major during the period you mentioned,
I never saw any evidence of the “train of thought” of which you speak. The senior NCOs with whom I served were more interested in helping junior enlisted than engaging in nefarious activities to hurt them.

Good luck...

Ron
U.S. Army 1966-1991

Re: “I keep telling vets before the Concurrent Receipt thing senior enlisted or officer made sure you wouldn't get any benefits because to them you would get money and they wouldn't. That is how the train of thought was, it was bad, it was real. Those times, a lot of service members got screwed over. I will fight all of this until I die. Until it is fixed!”

I believe you qualify for CRSC based on the info you provided. I wish success for you.

Another matter...
We each are entitled to our opinions; however, as a former First Sergeant and Sergeant Major during the period you mentioned,
I never saw any evidence of the “train of thought” of which you speak. The senior NCOs with whom I served were more interested in helping junior enlisted than engaging in nefarious activities to hurt them.

Good luck...

Ron
U.S. Army 1966-1991

"Another matter...
I never saw any evidence of the “train of thought” of which you speak. The senior NCOs with whom I served were more interested in helping junior enlisted than engaging in nefarious activities to hurt them."

Nope, it was like the plague in my company. Horrible, just horrible, quick example, out of 3 of my roommates 2 attempted suicide because everything was so bad. I got to train with the Army while still USMC through some approved merger thing and almost weeped how much the Army was funded and how they treated each other so much better. They even had steak in the field. Sick call in the field and track back to post for medical care. Awesome. No sir, my stories are brutal.

"Another matter...
I never saw any evidence of the “train of thought” of which you speak. The senior NCOs with whom I served were more interested in helping junior enlisted than engaging in nefarious activities to hurt them."

Nope, it was like the plague in my company. Horrible, just horrible, quick example, out of 3 of my roommates 2 attempted suicide because everything was so bad. I got to train with the Army while still USMC through some approved merger thing and almost weeped how much the Army was funded and how they treated each other so much better. They even had steak in the field. Sick call in the field and track back to post for medical care. Awesome. No sir, my stories are brutal.

There are verifiable really bad command climates- units where the "leaders" don't lead, but instead, just manage without reference to their sacred obligation to lead, take care of the troops that they are entrusted with and aren't worth a damn. I have served in a few great organizations with dynamic leaders who demanded high standards of everyone and lead by example. (Thank you, COL Love and LTC Akins for showing me what "right looks like," and how to lead). I have also served in really poor units with senior leaders who were terrible and failed in several ways.

We could poll folks on this forum or even across the military or veterans community overall and find examples of great leadership or really bad (even criminal) leadership. It really bothers me when leaders fail to ensure a good unit climate and when folks have bad experiences. The range of bad to good is really large. You have some units where assaults, unethical conduct, and a poor command climate are the norm. And you have units where the leadership from the commander down to the most junior member have a culture of doing what is right and standing for the ethics that are required of military members.

Not sure what the utility of hashing all of this out here is, though. On the issues that I mentioned, if folks want to talk about and discuss this, then it probably makes sense to open a new thread and talk about good or bad leaders or units.

What we are better at here on the PEBFORUM is discussing military disability and related benefits.

Jason

I am sorry to learn that...

Hopefully, this board will assist you in a manner that is satisfactory to you.

Whenever you receive an approval for CRSC, I am available to give you an estimate of the CRSC for one month.

Good luck,
Ron

I am sorry to learn that...

Hopefully, this board will assist you in a manner that is satisfactory to you.

Whenever you receive an approval for CRSC, I am available to give you an estimate of the CRSC for one month.

Good luck,
Ron
Great, I will very much appreciate the help when I get to that point.

There are verifiable really bad command climates- units where the "leaders" don't lead, but instead, just manage without reference to their sacred obligation to lead, take care of the troops that they are entrusted with and aren't worth a damn. I have served in a few great organizations with dynamic leaders who demanded high standards of everyone and lead by example. (Thank you, COL Love and LTC Akins for showing me what "right looks like," and how to lead). I have also served in really poor units with senior leaders who were terrible and failed in several ways.

We could poll folks on this forum or even across the military or veterans community overall and find examples of great leadership or really bad (even criminal) leadership. It really bothers me when leaders fail to ensure a good unit climate and when folks have bad experiences. The range of bad to good is really large. You have some units where assaults, unethical conduct, and a poor command climate are the norm. And you have units where the leadership from the commander down to the most junior member have a culture of doing what is right and standing for the ethics that are required of military members.

Not sure what the utility of hashing all of this out here is, though. On the issues that I mentioned, if folks want to talk about and discuss this, then it probably makes sense to open a new thread and talk about good or bad leaders or units.

What we are better at here on the PEBFORUM is discussing military disability and related benefits.

Jason
That was well wrote! Maybe it doesn't have an exact fit within the PEBFORUM community; however, it might be a good starting point for others to question, "Hey, was this done right, or was that done right - my command hid these papers from me, I never got counseled, what are my rights, etc." and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and good-hearted folks here who want to help. I never had access to anything like this great website when I was getting out; in fact, the web was just getting fresh. I had no clue of my rights, retaliation was feed to anyone that crossed their lines in their tight knit group of rogue Marines who were only looking out for themselves and their career promotions. I wouldn't know what to title or place this sort of thread name under, maybe that will be better suited to be opened up by a mod and above.

Update:

What additional evidence did you submit to show the "how" the disability was combat related? etc, IW from mortar?

What additional evidence did you submit to show the "how" the disability was combat related? etc, IW from mortar?
Update:

Hey, don't feel bad, I also went the congressional route and the aide who was supposed to help me either didn't know what she was doing, didn't care, had very limited technical skills (ie. not able to copy/scan), or was simply unqualified - or all of the above. The process wasted a year alone once I found out and in the interim she was relieved and replaced with some other person who was just discharged career Navy; was very snotty and rude and unfitting to understand or help me at all. I kept running against brick walls face first for whatever reason, I mean, the replacement aide had no clue what she was saying to me in being derogatory - not even a third of evidence was in my file by that point. Instead of assistance, she sold me the opposite, which I know better and she downplayed me - how can your local Congressional office aide(s) do that to their own constituents is beyond me.

You're further ahead then me by now but I'll PM you in near future as I am going to soon walk a mile in your boots.

That was well wrote! Maybe it doesn't have an exact fit within the PEBFORUM community; however, it might be a good starting point for others to question, "Hey, was this done right, or was that done right - my command hid these papers from me, I never got counseled, what are my rights, etc." and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and good-hearted folks here who want to help. I never had access to anything like this great website when I was getting out; in fact, the web was just getting fresh. I had no clue of my rights, retaliation was feed to anyone that crossed their lines in their tight knit group of rogue Marines who were only looking out for themselves and their career promotions. I wouldn't know what to title or place this sort of thread name under, maybe that will be better suited to be opened up by a mod and above. [bold emphasis added by Mod]
The appropriate location on this board for that type of discussion is at: Social and Off-topic <—-LINK

Ron
cc: @Jason Perry @chaplaincharlie @oddpedestrian